• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21334 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:33 AM

I started my photography course today, so far, love it.  Instructor seems pretty good and the class looks like a diverse and interesting bunch.

Projects for the term were handed out.

First assignment:

• 8x10" prints mounted prints of our work:

- "GAP" style portraits

- "Location/Editorial" Shot

- "Classic Portrait"

4 more assignment topics after this.  See the image below of a portion of the studio, I tried to avoid getting any student in the pic.  The studio itself is very nice.  2 shooting areas, huge backdrops, White and Black, tons of studio lighting ... CHIMERA ... I think, and ... hi end MACs!

We will have 6 or 8 models to work with and at the end, have to bring one of our own.  Oh joy! I am already wracking my brains as I am sure, no one "locally" will volunteer! Oh, and we will individually be a model as well for a self portrait, so we can experience being on the receiving end! That should be fun as well.

Most of the work is in studio, a portion will be "street" photography.  She seems to keep repeating a "homeless person" theme, need to set her straight on this.  

Found out you can get seriously hurt if you don't handle the lighting power boxes correctly.  We got a crash course today on how NOT to get blown across the room if you pull the cables out while the power is on.  This is serious stuff!! Who knew!

We have lots of different Light Boxes, Glamour Dishes, Umbrellas etc.  So, I am stoked!!  I can hardly wait till next Monday!

She has requested we go 30 minutes early and stay later!! Loving it already.  4 hours in the studio!!  How awesome is that!

The models are all different types so that is going to be fun too!  Musician, glamour etc.  I think we are going to avoid Fashion.

We can do any style we want, so I really like this part of the course.

We learned some technique today on how lighting effects different things, reflectors etc.  All cursory information.  A lot of ground was covered and not in a ton of detail, but enough that we can hit the ground running next week.

I will report on a weekly basis as the course progresses and share all the information I can with you.  If you have any questions, ask!!

Attached File  PortraitStudio.jpg   262.58KB   1 downloads

What you see is about 1/4 of the studio. 

Signature_Line_V4

#2 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23643 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:02 AM

Art try not to get detention! :lol:

Have fun! :)

Jim
  • Art likes this

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10348 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:39 AM

Enjoy!

:rolleyes:

• Art likes this

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#4 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7062 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:01 AM

Cool bananas.... then you can teach us Art :D

• Art likes this

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#5 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23643 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:15 AM

Cool bananas.... then you can teach us Art :D

Ditto! :)
  • Art likes this

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#6 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15340 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:01 AM

Looks and sounds good. I know the feeling of the light box.  :wacko:

• Art likes this

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:09 AM

Art try not to get detention! :lol:

Have fun! :)

Jim

Good thing INK WELLS are a thing of the past!!!  :D

Signature_Line_V4

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:10 AM

Looks and sounds good. I know the feeling of the light box.  :wacko:

Really, scared to touch it!

Signature_Line_V4

#9 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15340 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:47 AM

Really, scared to touch it!

It must be a older one. The newer ones have more safeguards. You just have to dump the power that is stored in it. I use mono light, the power is in each one. The older ones, you had to dump the power or it can age the light quickly. Now, the newer ones dump when you shut it off. 

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#10 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5342 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

Once you get to playing with lights and modifiers in the studio you will lose all track of time - it is one of my favourite parts of photography thought something I get little chance to do.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#11 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

It must be a older one. The newer ones have more safeguards. You just have to dump the power that is stored in it. I use mono light, the power is in each one. The older ones, you had to dump the power or it can age the light quickly. Now, the newer ones dump when you shut it off. 

When she turned it off, it popped the lights.  Not sure.  The thing is a Big Black Car Battery type looking thing with a handle in the middle and all the nobs on top.

I will take a picture of it.  God knows, I will be there every week taking pictures!! :lol:

Signature_Line_V4

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:41 PM

Once you get to playing with lights and modifiers in the studio you will lose all track of time - it is one of my favourite parts of photography thought something I get little chance to do.

It very much seems that way.  3 hours went by in the blink of an eye last night and we did nothing but orientation on where everything is stored, how to set up and break down, assignments etc.

I am going to enjoy every minute for the next 3-4 months.... with an added hour tossed in just for fun, each class.  Most likely, longer!

Signature_Line_V4

#13 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7300 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:17 PM

Enjoy your course, Art.  Looking forward to reading your updates.  :)

I think I can relate to how you view this course.  I'm becoming more interested in off-camera flash and light modifiers.  Plan to have a serious play, once we get more renovations done.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#14 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:42 PM

Enjoy your course, Art.  Looking forward to reading your updates.  :)

I think I can relate to how you view this course.  I'm becoming more interested in off-camera flash and light modifiers.  Plan to have a serious play, once we get more renovations done.

Thanks, Mark.

Once the bug hits you, it draws you like a magnet.  Fascinating part of photography!

Signature_Line_V4

#15 winclk

winclk

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1897 posts
  • Interests:Photography and Grandkids

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

I will be following this post and taking notes. Have fun Art..

• Art likes this
Robin

Amateur Photographer--Hoping to upgrade my status one day

#16 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

I will be following this post and taking notes. Have fun Art..

Thanks, Robin.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

I will do an update every Tuesday as the Class itself is every Monday night.  Rather than open a Topic for every class, I will just update this thread as I go along.  It think that might be the best way to do it.  

Open to suggestions....

Signature_Line_V4

#17 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

Kool...

• Art likes this

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#18 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:13 AM

Art -- have a look at strobist.blogspot.com. They're doing some great work with on-camera-type flash units, though he does use Einstein units occasionally.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this goes for you.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#19 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:35 AM

Thanks, Don.  I will take a look!  Appreciate the link.

Signature_Line_V4

#20 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23643 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:08 PM

Art -- have a look at strobist.blogspot.com. They're doing some great work with on-camera-type flash units, though he does use Einstein units occasionally.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how this goes for you.

Good stuff Don thanks.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#21 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:26 PM

Strobe link is an excellent one, Don, thanks!!

Signature_Line_V4

#22 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23643 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:24 AM

So Art are they going to cover colored diffusers?

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#23 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:08 AM

So Art are they going to cover colored diffusers?

Jim

They covered filters in the opening class.  I suspect that we will discuss them at length at some point and experiment....

Signature_Line_V4

#24 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:22 AM

CLASS #2

I really do not know where to begin!  I had A BLAST!  I mean, with no uncertain terms, I had the time of my life.  I got there at 5:30.... left at 10:00.  I have no idea where those 4 1/2 hours went.  One minute, I was there, the next minute... it was over.

Here is the studio.... just to give you an idea of the space, the equipment and feel.  The lights are dimmed, and the session is in progress.

Attached File  Class_1.jpg   238.55KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Class_2.jpg   399.08KB   0 downloads

SpeedOtron 1205 CX Battery Power Pack...............$1,340 US at B+H 

http://www.bhphotovi..._w_s_Power.html

Attached File  Class_3.jpg   245.5KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Class_4.jpg   226.3KB   0 downloads

Today's class was about getting familiar with setup and take down.  We set up the backdrop (by pulling it down, easy enough), the we followed a diagram on the whiteboard on how to set up our lights.  One side had one light box at a 45 degree angle to the model. 2/3rd of the light box was shaded with foam board to block the light.  The black background images below are from that studio setup.

100 ISO

1/200s

f4

Heavy, pure sweet, heaven.  I love every minute.

The second setup, the lighter background images had two lights.  A full lightbox directly in front of model and a boom umbrella light directly behind and above. 

100 ISO

1/200s

f8

Nikon D800

Nikon 85mm f1.4G

Remote trigger

The lesson was very easy going.  We broke up into two groups and got to know the people in the class very quickly.  Everyone helped everyone, it was a lot of fun.  Met some really nice people!  There were 3 models hired to work the evening and they were terrific. See below....

The Nikon D800 is.... I say this, without ANY trepidation..... THE KING OF THE STUDIO!  If you see these on my monitor, in full size, full resolution, your JAWS will drop.  I have only seen images like these shot by pro's!!  I am simply astonished!

I got home about 11:00 today, and had to have a look.  Then, I couldn't help myself, I had to PP them.  Still cannot believe the results!

Please, speak your minds freely, I am eager to read what you honestly think of this small sample of images taken!  I took too many to post more, what I did was select the ones that intrigued me the most for what ever reason.  

Thanks!

Attached File  PurpleGuy_1.jpg   301.33KB   0 downloads

Attached File  PurpleGuy_3.jpg   313.29KB   0 downloads

Attached File  PurpleGuy_2.jpg   254.53KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Girl_1.jpg   163.18KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Girl_3.jpg   384.48KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Girl_2.jpg   255.59KB   0 downloads

Attached File  SweaterGuy_1.jpg   224.86KB   0 downloads

Attached File  SweaterGuy_3.jpg   263.37KB   0 downloads

Attached File  SweaterGuy_2.jpg   233.21KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#25 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23643 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:41 AM

WOW some great stuff Art and the Models look like they had fun too! I need to look into a class like this here in Memphis!

:D

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#26 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:12 AM

WOW some great stuff Art and the Models look like they had fun too! I need to look into a class like this here in Memphis!

:D

Jim

They did, but they did work very hard. It was not an easy evening for them. I think the class is 14 students. Each student technically got to take 15 images of each one. That's 45 images....I shot 3 times that....eyes closed...out of focus, don't like that lets try again.....

Some people had to be reminded that it wasn't 200 images each!!! :lol: At the end, it was a free for all to try to get the last few I. You thought you missed or wanted better....

For us, it was fun, for them....hard work. They were awesome the whole evening!!

TAKE THE COURSE, Jim, you will love it!
Signature_Line_V4

#27 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23643 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:20 PM

Yup need to look into it locally!

Jim
  • Art likes this

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#28 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10348 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

Very nice, Art!  For some reason that last male model reminds me a bit of Mr. Spock...

His ears need a bit of an adjustment though.

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#29 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7300 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the post, Art.

Like the composition, but everything looks on the dark side.  I'm more inclined to blame the cheap Dell monitor at work than your photography.   :P

Which remote trigger did you use?

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#30 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:28 PM

Very nice, Art!  For some reason that last male model reminds me a bit of Mr. Spock...

His ears need a bit of an adjustment though.

:)

Herman, GREAT MINDS think alike!!  I had the exact same thought.

However, in person, his persona is substantially different.  You wouldn't think that talking to him, but when you take a look at the images, he could pass for a young Mr. Spock!

Happy BD day, by the way!! :)  Hope you had a nice one!

Signature_Line_V4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users