3 replies to this topic

#1 GrandpaJoel

GrandpaJoel

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

I read one of Darrell Young's pieces in which he stated that Nikon uses the file naming convention to differentiate between sRGB and Adobe RGB files in their digital cameras. I was surprised by this as I had always thought that the reason the underscore was in a different position in file names was due to the use of an Auto exposure versus P/S/A/M exposure. I sent him a personal email and he requested that I post this question so that he can answer it where more people will see it. In either case I have this question for Darrell. My Nikon files are numbered sequentially and its only me so no initials are needed, but your prefix "1" does make sense so no future overwrite occurs after 9999. I am, however, having a problem with the Nikon use of the underscore. It keeps the files from being listed in the order that they were taken as I change between Auto and P/S/A/M modes and the underscore changes. I didn't realize this was from sRGB vs Adobe RGB. I thought it was from Auto exposure vs the others. But it is a problem. I can sort by Date Taken by adding it to the file viewing explorer, but the changing underscore is a pain. Why do we need this anyway? Doesn't the EXIF tell us the exposure mode as well as RGB profile when we/software need it. Is its' placement in the file name really an indication to ANY software of the embedded profile? How can I GET RID of this archaic naming and just have contiinuous numbering! Where am I wrong? What don't I get? Please help. And by the way, I found you via one of the forums just now and you are the first person I have ever read that brings up this naming information. So you are the first person that I figured I could write to about my dilemna. Thanks for your very astute articles. Best Regards, Joel

#2 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6809 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

I rename my files using a date plus sequence format in Lightroom. Ip upse the metadata with key words for most searchs. If you want to PM me and I can help you. Welcome from one Grandpa to another. OD
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7000, Nikon D200, Fuji S3Pro

#3 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

You can also rename and renumber files while importing them with Nikon View NX2.
Gary in SE Michigan, USA
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5

#4 GrandpaJoel

GrandpaJoel

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:12 AM

Thanks. I use Nikon Capture NX2 and it brings up Nikon Transfer for inputting. However, this program will not read any SD card from the reader in my notebook, while all other programs, including Capture NX2 itself, do see the card and files. So I cannot test its handling of the underscore. The program does see my phone when connected via usb in the disk drive mode. Also, I want to keep the original file name and not rename it other than to lose the underscore whether at the beginning of the name or the imbedded one in the middle of the file name. e.g. _DSC001.NEF and DSC_002.NEF. What am I missing...why is Nikon creating them this way? Why should I want to keep this nomenclature? Joel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users