• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fotofill

fotofill

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1896 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

Ok, here goes. I have a 17-35 2.8 Nikkor lens that has served me well for years. It was not focusing well and the zoom ring had some friction. I emailed Nikon Professional Services. They said to fill in the form and send it in. I asked for a loaner and they sent a 24-70 that arrived in 2 days. I got a notice that lens was repaired. When Nikon repairs a lens, they make it as like new as possible. It cost 350. to get the job done. Stay with me here... I packed their lens (I have to pay all shipping charges, both ways) I started using my repaired lens and it was not focusing properly. I sent images to Bill Pekala, the head guy at NPS in NY. He answered on a Sunday afternoon and said, "Something is not right." He said to call and arrange a loaner and return my lens. I sent my lens back first thing that Monday morning. Nikon got the lens on Wednesday. Now, here's the part that is upsetting... They waited until they got my lens, to send another loaner! I had to rent a lens to shoot at state basketball tournament on Thursday. On Friday morning their loaner arrived. Today is Wednesday and I have their lens and they still have mine. I will say, the 24-70 they sent works real good. If I don't return it, they want 1600. for it. If I worked at SI or AP I am sure this would have been much different. They better not charge me any more for lens repairs.
Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10606 posts
  • Interests:Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Golf, Computers, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Strategy Game Collector and more... :)

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

Phil, I doubt they will. Typically, if they pooched the first time, they will make sure it is right the second time. You already paid for the repair that "didn't happen" so I would sleep easy on this one. However, I am curious to see what they do and how it all works out.
 photo ArtLupinacci-Signature_zps9a3122ce.jpg

#3 fotofill

fotofill

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1896 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

Update My lens is back, theirs is shipped, life goes on.

#4 fotofill

fotofill

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1896 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

I think they replaced motors in lens. It really sounds different and it focuses faster and smoother.

#5 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10606 posts
  • Interests:Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Golf, Computers, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Strategy Game Collector and more... :)

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

Did they resolve the money issues with you?
 photo ArtLupinacci-Signature_zps9a3122ce.jpg

#6 justshootit

justshootit

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3232 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Phil,

I doubt they will. Typically, if they pooched the first time, they will make sure it is right the second time. You already paid for the repair that "didn't happen" so I would sleep easy on this one.

However, I am curious to see what they do and how it all works out.

I dunno about that -- I had a 24-120 that was focusing unevenly across the FOV and I must've had it back to Nikon in El Segundo four times. I finally gave up and traded it on a used 80-200/2.8. My experience with Nikon repair has been mixed. I also had my D70 back with card-write errors several times. They finally replaced the entire insides with that from a D70s and it's been working well since.

Don
Don
==========================================================

Digital: D610 backed up a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#7 fotofill

fotofill

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1896 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

It was expensive, but it does work like a new one. But, for what they are, a PROFESSIONAL SERVICE, and what they charge, that lens should never have left the facility. If they would have been a more careful in the testing, they would have found their error. So Don, your gear went back-and-forth a few times too. Was it NPS service? Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users