#1 photographix

photographix

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts
  • Interests:astronomy

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:21 AM

hello folks :D i got an Albinar ADG 28mm f/2.8 Macro MF lens coming in the mail. do any of you know any thing about these? i'v never had an albinar lens but it's almost mint. and it was part of auction i won on ebay along with a tamron 28-200 LD 4.5-5.6. i don't like to go with such a slow lens but these are very sharp lens's and the price was right!! got them both for $50.00 and it's a very good walk around lens. thanks for you input....rick
my placeMy Webpage

#2 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16742 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:40 AM

rick - I never heard of these. Can u post an image from both?...thanks.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
slrcb11@gmail.com

#3 photographix

photographix

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:21 AM

here you go jazz'r. :D ....rick

Posted Image

my placeMy Webpage

#4 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

All I can find are these various quotes on the Web Rick:-

"Albinar and Star-D were house brands of Uniphot-Levitt. The owner of Uniphot-Levitt (and the old Camera Barn chain in NY) was Fred Albu. I think that's where the Albinar name came from. These were economy priced lenses and were certainly not apochromatic."

"Albinar was a one-man marketing/importer in New Jersey. When the owner died in the early 1990's, the company closed down. There are Albinar branded cameras, lenses, flash units and tripods. I spent some time a couple of years ago trying to track down who manufactured Albinar lenses and was unable to find anyone who knew the answer. Albinar products sold at budget prices when new, but consumer comments were generally positive about the quality. Unfortunately without a parts source, Albinar photo products are in most cases not repairable, and if repairable, would cost more to repair then the Albinar equipment cost new."

"I don't know much about Albinar the company, except that they made lenses for Pentax, Canon, and Minolta (and possibly Nikon as well), as well as 2x converters and flashes. Come to think of it, I don't even know what the ADG stands for. Albinar Design Group? They were probably a contract company that had other OEMs do the actual manufacturing, like Vivitar and Kalimar did. I do know that it was made in Japan but that's about it. They no longer exist as far as I can tell."

Ken Rockwell makes this remark:-

"Note also that the cost of a lens is what you pay for it minus what you sell it for when you're done with it. You can always sell a camera brand lens, but it's tougher and you get far less money for the off brands. Let's face it: when you buy a used lens do you ever set out to buy a Tamron, Spooginar, Amway, Albinar, Tokina or Sigma instead of Canon, Leitz, Minolta, Nikkor or Pentax? I find that camera brand lenses cost less to own overall than the discount brands."

He also condemns other reviewers in his piece, but you would expect that wouldn't you! However there is some truth in what he says as magazines cultivate advertisers and shops make more money from independent lenses and acessories than the camera makers own. Also many so called magazine reviews are simply the manufacturers press hand out reproduced. I also agree with him Photodo and Bjorn Rorslett's sites do some of the best lens reviews.

http://www.kenrockwe...ch/otherrvw.htm

Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#5 photographix

photographix

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

thank you Dave. that was realy nice of you to go to that much work for my Q. i owe you one. i bid for the tamron cos i hade one of thses a while back and gave it away to a student who didn't have any thing to shoot with. but it was a very good lens. not very fast but good and sharp. it's! the one i wanted and got the albinar in the deal. it'll be fun just to see what it can do. and if not it will make a good prop! lol thanks again Dave. i hope all are well....rick
my placeMy Webpage

#6 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 16742 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:18 AM

thanks rick.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
slrcb11@gmail.com

#7 james23p

james23p

• Moderators
  • 11917 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:36 AM

It looks very much like a Tokina 28mm MF Macro I had several years ago. Plus like my Tokina the distance on the focusing ring is backwards compared to Nikkors. The infinity is to the right when looking down vs the left on Nikkors. Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 Aspherical VR.

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 24-50 f3.3-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 35 f2 Ai, 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#8 photographix

photographix

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

cool. it's on the truck so it'll be here today!! i'd like to see if i got lucky with that one. or if it's a prop lol. i'v got two shoot's next week so i'm cutting kinda close! hahaha. can't wait to get the white lightnings out for a real shoot! new camera new strobes new glass good start for the year i think B) ....rick
my placeMy Webpage

#9 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

Somebody on a Pentax site referring to Albinar lenses agrees with Jim.

"OK, I remembered when I have owned identical lenses to these. Subsequent research has confirmed it. They are Tokina EL series lenses. I had them both some years ago. I guess this accounts for the build quality compared to other budget lenses."

Of course Tokina may not have made all their lenses, just as Vivitar used several lens makers and then put the Vivitar name on them.

Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users