• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4343 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:36 PM

Geez, I hear you film guys talk about using film in the digital age.
How could you think this stuff could make a viewable image?!

Posted Image

I mean, C'MON!! An F3?? With Velvia?? That's SO antiquated!! How could you get a
decent shot with such a setup? And a tripod? With no VR?? Nah, I ain't buyin' it!!

Posted Image

I mean, if you don't have at least a D300 or 40D, you can't possibly make
anything anyone would want to look at.

Posted Image

Could Ya??? :P

PS: All the images here were taken with -- you guessed it -- an F3 loaded with Velvia. Go Figure.....

Edited by justshootit, 20 January 2010 - 12:05 AM.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#2 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4447 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:21 AM

Don, remind me again... Film... that was that plastic stuff we used to put in our cameras right? Had to take it to a lab where they dunked it in chemicals and our pictures magically appeared...yes?'' Beautiful images!!! J
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects
Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photography Instruction

Website / Blog / Portfolio: www.jonhaverstickstudio.com
Email: jon@jonhaverstickstudio.com

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

Professional Memberships:
  • NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
  • WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International)
  • SPS (Student Photographic Society): Educator
  • Nikon Professional Services

#3 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7520 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:59 AM

Oh no Don ..what are you doing to me.. I traded my F3 on a 14-24 and now you show me what could have been :lol: As Jon says beautiful images very nice. Peter

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#4 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:16 AM

Wonderful stuff and I bet the Jimksi will be happy as a photog using a great Nikon filmer when he see these. Can I u to spoil us by adding more of these F3 generated, wonderful, bootiful pics???Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#5 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:21 AM

Don't believe in that modern flexible film stuff Don, it will never replace coating your own plates in wet collodion. http://www.collodion...st.com/History/ If you don't have the latest digital camera you are all using "old cameras" anyway since the sensor cannot be updated, whereas the latest film could usually be used in an old film camera. Nice images. Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#6 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4343 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:04 PM

Sure you can upgrade the digitals!! You just remove the shutter button, and install a new camera on it -- then get a new shutter button :rolleyes:
Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#7 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:12 PM

Gotta give a triple WOW..I am at home looking at these on my just calibrated monitor and bootiful pics...keep these babies coming.

Jim has been away but I will pm him and tell him to check out these beauts.

Film........Yes!Posted Image

PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#8 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4343 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

Don, remind me again... Film... that was that plastic stuff we used to put in our cameras right? Had to take it to a lab where they dunked it in chemicals and our pictures magically appeared...yes?''

Beautiful images!!!

J

Thanks!! It's the latest thing Jon! Darrell explains it here. :blink:
Don

#9 Guest_photogbuff_1970_*

Guest_photogbuff_1970_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:56 PM

Thanks!! It's the latest thing Jon! Darrell explains it here. :blink:

Don...They still make VELVIA??? :D Gosh, gee, I wanna F5 at some point in my life. I miss film...even though I could only shoot decent photos with a point and shoot back then. The DSLR makes me wanna go back and try my hand with film now. Ah...time to get myself a damned light meter.

#10 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:35 AM

I suppose the question should really be "when will silver get too expensive to use for film?". Evidently we are using silver quicker than we can mine it, and a lot of silver is tied up in old film stocks and processing chemicals which can be recovered by burning film and reclaiming silver from the ash to use in industries like electronics who will pay more for it than future film users would be prepared to pay for new film. However there have been predictions of silver getting much dearer for years as above ground stocks run out, but that has not happened yet. Maybe the problem was even ameliorated by the switch to digital so stocks released from old film and used processing chemicals were needed less to produce new film stock. It seems inevitable though new film prices will rise as silver gets more expensive because other industries will pay more for it than the declining film users. Here were some predictions from the past that have not happened yet but may come true in the future. Some may be special pleading for the commodity they deal in, but none the less it seems supplies are being consumed faster than they are being found and extracted from the ground. http://www.gold-eagl...mmel031508.html http://silverstockre...m/2008/out.html http://www.gold-eagl.../butler529.html Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#11 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24073 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:24 AM

WooWhoo super shots Don! I am in the Big Easy(New Orleans taking lots of pics he he) and it just so happens my FE2 is loaded with yup Kodachrome 64 and I also have a roll of Velvia 50 in my pocket!! I love the warmth and color Don plus the composition is second to none great work and many thanks for sharing. In a few weeks I will share both my film and digital shots of New Orleans. Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#12 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3520 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:01 AM

My FE is dead!
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#13 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7956 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

Very nice colours and compo! I still keep in touch with a former co-worker, who shares your views on film cameras. Matthew has embraced the digital age, but loves his original film cameras. He is old school and proud of it. Mark
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#14 Nikon Mike

Nikon Mike

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1713 posts
  • Interests:Oil painting, watercolors, photography, history and genealogy.

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

Super shots!!!
Mike

D90
D80
N70
18-105mm AF DX
28mm f/2.8 AF
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G DX
55-200mm f/4-5.6G DX
Olympus Stylus 800

#15 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:26 AM

My FE is dead!

My FE2 is on the way....Posted Image ..to me...Posted Image

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#16 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:17 AM

My FE2 is on the way....Posted Image ..to me...Posted Image

My Fe2 is here..but after looking at these shots again...I have F3 dreams.....Posted Image

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#17 José

José

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Computers, and Music

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:22 AM

These are great images Don, I love the color they present. Thanks for sharing them.
José

”There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”
- Ansel Adams

#18 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4343 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:06 AM

@Jose -- thanks! @Jazzer -- Lets see some Velvia from that FE2!!! I've got to admit to some FE2 envy because of the match needle meter. The F3 is a bit easier to use at night because of the lamp, but that lamp button is REALLY clumsy. Also, the F3 has it's own proprietary hot shoe, so you either need an SB-16a, an SB-17, or an adapter to do TTL flash with it. Aside from that, though it's a sweet handling machine. Don
Don

#19 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4343 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

Wonderful stuff and I bet the Jimksi will be happy as a photog using a great Nikon filmer when he see these. Can I u to spoil us by adding more of these F3 generated, wonderful, bootiful pics???Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Hey Jazz -- Here's the whole bunch from that roll...ENJOY :D

D
Don

#20 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:31 AM

Hey Jazz -- Here's the whole bunch from that roll...ENJOY Posted Image

D

Posted Image Posted Image Man, these are da bombs..I love the GMC. Thanks, UI hope that the F3 finds it's way inti your hands often and pics are posted like these.

Thanks.

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#21 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:33 AM

@Jose -- thanks!

@Jazzer -- Lets see some Velvia from that FE2!!! I've got to admit to some FE2 envy because of the match needle meter. The F3 is a bit easier to use at night because of the lamp, but that lamp button is REALLY clumsy. Also, the F3 has it's own proprietary hot shoe, so you either need an SB-16a, an SB-17, or an adapter to do TTL flash with it. Aside from that, though it's a sweet handling machine.

Don

Don, I hope to have some this week. On Saturday, I am headed to Heidelberg with Der 300, Da 50 and the Funky FE2. Will post em when I get em.

Again, your shots are great.Posted Image

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users