• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22932 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:57 PM

1. Do you run virus software and if so what do you use.

2. Do you use monitor calibration, talking with one of our IT guys he said Apple's internal calibration which I ran does a great job. I am afraid not knowing how Mac OS works yet of messing something up.

3. Is time capsule backup just a point where my Mac makes a copy of the system setup so I can restore it to that time like Windows system restore or does it actually backup a hard copy of all the data and system settings.

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help and patients. I am reading and googling to learn as much as I can. I do have my hot corners setup like BP recommended but I still feel a bit like a fish out of water.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#2 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6525 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:25 PM

Jim, I'll take my best shot at answering your questions, but I am not THE authority on iMacs.

1. I run Norton Antivirus.  We have it on my iMac and Angela's Windows laptop.
  2. I don't use monitor calibration software.  I've heard the same thing as you, but I'm still making up my mind on this.
  3. I use the Time Machine (different from Time Capsule?) to make regular backups to my external drive.  My understanding is that it backs up new files or files that have been modified since the last backup.  Art or Robin probably know a lot more about this.

No problems.  I bought mine 9 months ago, and I still learn new stuff all the time.   :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20123 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

1) No Virus Protection.  I occasionally run MacKeeper.  Bell has Macafee as part of my subscription.  Never had an issue.  I also don't download bootlegged stuff, which really helps!

2) I do not calibrate the monitor.  Factory setting is perfect.

3) Apple uses something called Time Machine.  Works great.  Just set it to back up once or twice a day and it will do the rest.  Seamless.  I have used it once, works fine.

The Mac is intuitive and there isn't a ton of things for you to know to make it go.  What ever Apps you get will be the determining factor of your primary experience.  The system runs itself pretty much.  It is not a clunker like Windows, which I simply could never warm up to.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#4 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22932 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:54 PM

Jim, I'll take my best shot at answering your questions, but I am not THE authority on iMacs.

1. I run Norton Antivirus.  We have it on my iMac and Angela's Windows laptop.
  2. I don't use monitor calibration software.  I've heard the same thing as you, but I'm still making up my mind on this.
  3. I use the Time Machine (different from Time Capsule?) to make regular backups to my external drive.  My understanding is that it backs up new files or files that have been modified since the last backup.  Art or Robin probably know a lot more about this.

No problems.  I bought mine 9 months ago, and I still learn new stuff all the time.   :)

LoL Time capsule I am such an Mac newbee! :blink:  :P  I meant time machine  :lol:

I have to say the monitor is great looking well better than great looking and I do not want to mess it up.

Thanks  Mark you guys are the best.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#5 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22932 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

1) No Virus Protection.  I occasionally run MacKeeper.  Bell has Macafee as part of my subscription.  Never had an issue.  I also don't download bootlegged stuff, which really helps!

2) I do not calibrate the monitor.  Factory setting is perfect.

3) Apple uses something called Time Machine.  Works great.  Just set it to back up once or twice a day and it will do the rest.  Seamless.  I have used it once, works fine.

The Mac is intuitive and there isn't a ton of things for you to know to make it go.  What ever Apps you get will be the determining factor of your primary experience.  The system runs itself pretty much.  It is not a clunker like Windows, which I simply could never warm up to.

Thanks Art I think I will hold off on calibration it seems most do not use it and like I said the monitor looks fantastic right out of the box.

MacKeeper is this something in the App store?

Ok I will set up Time Machine it asked do I want to use my external drive I assume this is the best route?

Again thanks Art and everyone who is helping me this is a huge change for me.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#6 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14651 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

I would think if you're going to print on your printer, serious work, you would calibrate. If you want to color correct, most don't, you would need to calibrate. Also, if you going to do labs, you probably will download their ICC profiles. You would still want your rgb's in the right ballpark. I'm not a mac person, but, I didn't think color calibration had anything to do with who made the computer. You still have to match somewhere?

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6915 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:12 PM

Jim, there is an Apple "Time Capsule"http://www.apple.com...ime-capsule-2tb it is a handy thing to have. I use the 3 TB option. As for calibrating, I have done it from time to time, but every time I've done it the monitor has been spot on and required no adjusting. As for virus protection, I had to uninstall Norton as it kept crashing my machine. It was a long and laborious investigation to find the problem that turned out to be the Norton Virus program, but once uninstalled I have not had another crash.That noise you heard in the background was me knocking vigorously on wood.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#8 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14651 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:55 PM

I'm not trying to be a dork, just wanting to learn here. Ron, I know you send your stuff off to print, do you print at home? would you say the the imac matchs labs pretty good?

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#9 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6915 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

Dennis, I haven't done any printing in a long time, I used to do it a lot, but I ended up wasting too much paper and ink. I used profiles that I created when I did print but I don't believe that I have printed anything off the new iMac, but to tell you the truth, it is a science unto itself that I just never took the time to even come close to mastering .  The printer that I have used for a long time in St Pete has gone out of business, not for a lack of customers, but he just felt like it was time to go fishing, so I am looking for a new printer now. The stuff I send out does match the labs pretty much.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#10 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14651 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

That makes sense. I'm using bay photo just recently. And basically, I'm pretty close using them.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#11 photojazz

photojazz

• Validating
  • 19544 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:55 PM

Norton is what I use but haven't had any issues.

Time Machine is what I use.

I have not calibrated my system yet, but must one day. I print from home sometimes and have not had  complaint yet.

Been a compouter guy since the 8 inch floppies and changed from Windows to Mac no major problems. But I need  to learn more.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#12 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22932 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:29 PM

Well just set up my time machine and I am using one of my external drives as the location.

Jazzer this is fun but its funny when I lose a file and I am like ought oh where did it go! :P

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#13 photojazz

photojazz

• Validating
  • 19544 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:39 PM

:rolleyes: 

PlanetNikon Member 141

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#14 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5338 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:26 AM

Similar to above.

1. I've never ran any virus software on the iMac as I have never had an issue with it - and it wrecks your system performance 

2. I did fiddle with a calibration tool a while back but the difference was so small I went back to the standard profile - they are profiles before they are shipped

3. I use Time Machine to back the entire internal drive to an external drive. Takes a while the first time then its incremental and fully automatic. If anything fails I just restore from the last image.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#15 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22932 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:34 AM

Thanks BP I have heard a few others who say the virus software messes with the system so I will forgo any virus software.

So far all the colors look great I even printed a photo on my printer looked great no fuss no mess no errors. Can this be really true can this iMac be this simple.

I setup time machine to use on of my external drives.

It seems I am getting there I am watching videos on Mac OS but unlike my windows machines that require constant care and tweets it seems Mac OS does all this behind the scene. :D

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#16 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5338 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:12 AM

Essentially once you have it settled in and are used to it just forget about everything other than - well - actually using it. You don't need to check for updates, don't need to tweak it, don't need to monitor what its doing just treat as you would you iPhone or iPad. Let Apple look after the inner working and you just use it for your stuff. If you buy something new, plug it in and it will work. If you download an app just drag it to your Applications folder and its ready to use, if you want to get rid of it drag it to the trash and its gone. 

It does take a little while to get use to it being this simple but honestly - it is.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#17 photojazz

photojazz

• Validating
  • 19544 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:18 PM

Agree with BP, just use it.....Nothing really to worry about. Updates/fixes come randomly...not like in the past...every 17 years.  :P  :P  :P

PlanetNikon Member 141

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#18 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22932 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:58 PM

Sounds good to me! :D

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users