• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2750 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything as long as it's outside.

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:42 PM

I just noticed today that I'm getting a dark band on the bottom of my images. Some worse than others. Anyone seen anything like this? Maybe the mirror not coming all the way up? I guess it's ready for another trip to Nikon. Those guys are going to start recognizing this camera pretty soon. 

This was just shot the ground but it shows the shadow pretty clearly. 

Well, it does look like a mirror issue to me. With the camera in mirror up mode, the mirror and it's cover are both hanging way down in front of the sensor. Since the image is reversed, an issue with the mirror should appear at the bottom of the image. OH, well.. Haven't had any issues with the mirror yet. Everything else but not the mirror. 

Attached Files

Edited by Arlon, 27 August 2017 - 05:00 PM.

D50, D90, D100 IR, D700, D800E and a bunch of old manual lenses..
D70 IR (stolen), D200 (stolen)

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22685 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

Not sure Arlon but I'm glad to see you posting I was unsure if you were in the storms way.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:10 PM

Arlon

Glad to see you are safe.

Sorry to hear about your camera does!

Good luck.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14458 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

Keep safe.

Hey, did you hear Nikon has a new 850 coming out? 🤡

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6267 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

Glad to hear you're safe, Arlon.

The D850 is scheduled to ship around Sept 8.  Do you think that you might have the D800E issue diagnosed by then?  B)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#6 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

How many captures do you have on that machine?  Maybe a D850 isn't a bad idea.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#7 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3216 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:57 PM

Back to the subject, what's causing the light leak?

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#8 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2750 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

We were not near the storms. Perfect weather where I live. On a little road trip right now and there is no fuel to be had. If a place has any fuel it's $1.00 more a gallon than it was last week and you're going to wait in a 10 car line for the privilege of getting it. I'm close to San Antonio on some property I have there right now and there just isn't any fuel available here. Fortunately I have a diesel truck with a big auxiliary tank and can get back to Midland without issue but there are a LOT of stranded travelers in Texas and Louisiana I suspect.. 

Light issue is for sure a shadow being cast by a mirror that is not fully retracting. Sent it back to Nikon again to hopefully fix the mirror issue and the broken 12 pin issue. Camera has 198k clicks on it.. Almost as many clicks as miles on my truck! I've spent more money on fixing this camera than I have my truck though (excluding routine maintenance).

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:42 PM

Your repair problems and costs are not very reassuring...... very sorry to hear it.

Glad you are safe. Too bad about the gas.

#10 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6267 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

Glad that you're safe, Arlon.  I've been seeing news reports about the gas.

From what you're saying about the camera, you might be one of the people who should seriously consider an upgrade.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#11 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4089 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:28 PM

Well, best of luck with the repair.  The expected shutter life on these cameras is ~200k clicks.  Maybe you should have them replace or recondition the shutter while they've got it apart.

Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#12 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2750 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:19 AM

Shutter has already been replaced once at about 100k. Total cost for this repair is only going to be $350.. Better than I expected. Should be getting it back any day now. 

#13 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6267 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

Shutter has already been replaced once at about 100k. Total cost for this repair is only going to be $350.. Better than I expected. Should be getting it back any day now. 

Hard to argue with that cost.  Glad it's working out.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#14 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3216 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:06 AM

Glad you figured it out. They will probably drop in a new one. 

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#15 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2750 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

Well, after about a month, I finally got my camera back yesterday. Not terribly impressed with Nikon service. It was on a "parts hold" for several weeks. Then I got an email stating that it was taking too long to get a new grip and they would do this perfect job of reattaching my old one and send it back. So I wait several weeks for a grip I didn't get. It comes back with the grip torn and half falling off. Their glue job was horrible if they even tried to fix what they tore up fixing the other issues. I figure I'll try to reglue the grip myself. I think I'll throw this camera in the garbage before I send it to Nikon again. They did fix the mirror and 12 pin connector and only charged me $350 and a month of use for fixing a well documented manufacturing defect.. 

Edited by Arlon, 06 October 2017 - 03:31 PM.

#16 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:29 AM

Well, after about a month, I finally got my camera back yesterday. Not terribly impressed with Nikon service. It was on a "parts hold" for several weeks. Then I got an email stating that it was taking too long to get a new grip and they would do this perfect job of reattaching my old one and send it back. So I wait several weeks for a grip I didn't get. It comes back with the grip torn and half falling off. Their glue job was horrible if they even tried to fix what they tore up fixing the other issues. I figure I'll try to reglue the grip myself. I think I'll throw this camera in the garbage before I send it to Nikon again. They did fix the mirror and 12 pin connector and only charged me $350 and a month of use for fixing a well documented manufacturing defect..

Wow, another service repair nightmare story.

#17 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4089 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

Arlon, there is a place here in Cleveland with a good repair reputation. It's called "Camera City" and is on Huron Road in case you're interested.

Edited by justshootit, 07 October 2017 - 09:59 AM.

Don

#18 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6267 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:37 PM

Ouch.  I wouldn't be surprised if you told me that the job was sub-contracted out. 

Mark

D810
Various lenses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users