Photo

Any advantage of used D200/300 over the D3300?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1080 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

I'm looking at some D200 and 300's on ebay and they appear to be pretty affordable, for once expensive cameras. Having a D3300, are there any real advantages of adding a 200 or 300 to my collection? Besides being generally more robust cameras? If I do, what's the max number of actuations I would want on them?

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22695 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:24 AM

The 300/200 will be more robust and you will have more manual control able to use older Nikkors. Better viewfinder and for the most part more speed at least as far as the 300 goes the 200 might not be faster as far as the AF goes.

The 3300 will have a much better LCD and the sensor is going to be much better than the 200 and a step up from the 300.

Now I am unsure but I don't know if the D200 can use the new E and P lens the D300 might.

Last the 200 and 300 I think have more flash controls.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5315 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:51 AM

You will find the robustness, controls available and extended features (no video mind you) a benefit but the sensors are old and the results could well be disappointing.

The D200 is ancient - its 10mp sensor isn't what you'd call great by todays standards at base ISO and utterly hopeless above 400. The colour range it outputs is narrower and the AF is a bit old fashioned.

The D300 is still fairly elderly - the 12mp sensor is better than the D200 it replaced, its usable at 800iso (just) and it has a better colour output. The AF is excellent and its fast.

I have owned both of those cameras (well the D300s but the sensor is basically the same) and I have shot tens of thousands of files with both. There is no way you'd get me back to using one other than for a bit of fun on a walk with the dog - my iPhone 7 is better at high ISO than either of them and it has a sensor the size of a gnats gnackers. 

P.S. If you would like some NEF's from both at various ISO's I could DropBox you a few.

Edited by Black Pearl, 15 December 2016 - 02:52 AM.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#4 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:38 AM

The D3300 has some newer technology, but the D300 is a pro-sumer camera at a bargain price.  

I'd take the D300 - especially on a tight budget.  One of the big pluses is the wide range of lenses that will work.  The D300 works well with older lenses - even some very inexpensive good lenses.  The D3300 will not focus with most older lenses.  It requires the lens have a focus motor - in Nikon referred to as AF-S.  Without a focus motor in the lens, the lens is manual focus only.  

Image quality on both is fine.  The D300 is not quite as good in low light but is still more than adequate for most uses.  Just looking around my home, about half the images on my walls were taken with a D300.  In all but the most extreme situations, if the D300 won't handle your needs, it's the photographer not the camera that needs upgrading.  :)

Personally - I'd take a D300 over a D3300 in a heartbeat.

The D200 is a definite step back.  I'd skip the D200 for the nominal price difference and get a D300.  I would only consider a D200 if the price was too good to refuse.  The D200 converted to IR is a pretty good camera, but today it's not worth the cost of conversion.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#5 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1080 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:54 AM

It definitely sounds like having a 300 kicking around can't hurt.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#6 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9922 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:41 AM

The D300 is an excellent camera. I've used mine in extreme weather conditions and it has not once let me down...

:rolleyes:  

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#7 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5315 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:17 AM

It definitely sounds like having a 300 kicking around can't hurt.

Yes and no.

What lenses do you currently own and which Nikon Speedlights do you have?

#8 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1080 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:18 PM

Yes and no.

What lenses do you currently own and which Nikon Speedlights do you have?

I have an early 70's Nikkor Q Auto F2.8 135mm, Nikkor AF-S 18-55 VRII, Tamron AF 70-300, and no speed lights at all. I have quite a few K mount lenses if they can be adapted for manual use.

#9 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5315 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

Buy a Pentax DSLR to go with your Pentax lenses or a mirrorless body and a mount adapter - I honestly feel you'd be wasting your money buying an older, outdated and poorer image quality Nikon body just because it has a few extra feature you may never use. 

Yes its a 'better' camera and yes there are people who get great images from it - I did for five years - but the sensor is grim, really, really, really grim compared to anything you can buy new and the camera you have now. 

#10 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1080 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:10 PM

Buy a Pentax DSLR to go with your Pentax lenses or a mirrorless body and a mount adapter - I honestly feel you'd be wasting your money buying an older, outdated and poorer image quality Nikon body just because it has a few extra feature you may never use. 

Yes its a 'better' camera and yes there are people who get great images from it - I did for five years - but the sensor is grim, really, really, really grim compared to anything you can buy new and the camera you have now. 

If I go Pentax it would probably be a KS-2, K-3 or K70, as for upgrading to a better Nikon, a D7200 or a used D600 or D610 would be in my price range. I have time to think about it.

#11 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5315 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:31 PM

Remember with the FX bodies to factor in the cost of a new (good quality) lens as your 18-55mm is a DX lens and not suitable. You might have to consider changing the Tamron too depending on which model it is - the VC on is a crackin' good lens but the basic model is a bit ropey.

#12 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1080 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:36 PM

Remember with the FX bodies to factor in the cost of a new (good quality) lens as your 18-55mm is a DX lens and not suitable. You might have to consider changing the Tamron too depending on which model it is - the VC on is a crackin' good lens but the basic model is a bit ropey.

I had planned on adding more, better DX lenses to my collection to use with the 3300, and thought it would be nice to own a more vintage D300 on the side. I figure I could upgrade later on to a better DX camera and keep all the lenses I acquire along the way. I've started down this road might as well stay on it  :)

#13 Jack

Jack

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Photography, scuba, reading

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

I can't believe all the negative comments from Black Pearl about the D300! It's an awesome camera still, despite its age! As for the ISO limitations....how often do you plan on shooting in low light situations? Do you really need video in a still camera? The D300 is built like a tank and performs admirably! I still shoot with one and wouldn't get rid of it for anything new on the market today! The last wedding I shot was with the D300. Matter of fact, I used 2 D300's! :)

As for speed lights, look into the Yongnuo line of flashes. Much better than the high priced Nikon brand units at a third the price!

D300

D2Xs

35 f/1.8

50 f/1.8

18-55VR
18-105VR
18-105AF
Tokina 11-16

Tamron 28-75
4 or 5 Lowepro  bags
Daiwa Hi-Ace 400 tripod
Manfrotto 055CL Pro tripod
Several Yongnuo speed lights

Jinbei 600 strobe

Have a nice day.........unless you have other plans ;)

#14 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19738 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:49 PM

Robin (BP)owned a D300 for years. Quite typically, his analysis and advice is spot on.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#15 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5315 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

I can't believe all the negative comments from Black Pearl about the D300! It's an awesome camera still, despite its age! As for the ISO limitations....how often do you plan on shooting in low light situations? Do you really need video in a still camera? The D300 is built like a tank and performs admirably! I still shoot with one and wouldn't get rid of it for anything new on the market today! The last wedding I shot was with the D300. Matter of fact, I used 2 D300's! :)

As for speed lights, look into the Yongnuo line of flashes. Much better than the high priced Nikon brand units at a third the price!

The body can still compete (in some ways) with many of todays current offerings and can better (in some ways) many of the others but the sensor - whether you chose to believe it or not - is ancient history. If it works for you kidder then thats fine but the world of technology moves forward and as a consequence older tech is improved upon in significant ways on a regular basis and the vast majority of people prefer to take advantage of the gains. Even if we we delicately tiptoe around the issue of high ISO noise then the dynamic range at base level and above has improved so dramatically on newer sensors that every single shot you take looks better. If do we let noise levels back in the room then the ability to boost shadows to further manipulate DR without chaos ensuing makes the old 12mp D300 look like a charabanc compared to Concord.

Like it or not video is here to stay - I'm not going to even entertain any ridiculous argument against it because if a $15 phone can shoot video then a $1500 camera should.

Shoot with what you want mate - if your clients are happy to pay for the images you produce then thats fine. Mind you a guest with a bit of knowhow using even a bog standard D3xxx body could give your clients results that would blow yours out of the water so you might want to open your eyes even a tiny bit to look at what can be achieved with newer tech. Experience and confidence can only carry you so far but ultimately you will come a cropper when an iPhone has been proven to produce a better file than your trusty old tank.

Please provide a credible source for your assertion that Yongnou flashguns are better than Nikon Speedlights.

• Art likes this

#16 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19738 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

Jack, I have a Yongnuo flash and some speedlites, including a 910.

I will take the Speedlites any day.

Yongnuo is nice, but.....

I also have a GODOX HSS flash, much better than Yongnuo....still not a 910.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#17 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6283 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

Please provide a credible source for your assertion that Yongnou flashguns are better than Nikon Speedlights.

I don't know about better.  However, they're so much cheaper that I really don't care.

I say this as the owner of an out-of-warranty Nikon SB-700 that was going to cost $250 for repairs.  I bought 2 Yongnuos for the same price.  If they go south on me, the pain won't be nearly as bad as it was for the Nikon.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#18 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8241 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:48 AM

I have a pair of Shannys and a trigger.  A big jump up from the SB800 but haven't compared it to the 910.  Again for what I have invested I couldn't get one SB910.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users