• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8352 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:50 PM

47 and 1/2 years ago I left MCAS Cherry Point, NC and the New Bern area, a 21 year old headed home to start the rest of his life.  Saturday I returned to visit a friend who has retired to NB.  On Sunday we went out to my favorite place in the area, Fort Macon.  

As a young Marine with a TLR Mamiya I spent a lot of time out there and had captured a great image of a doorway.  I believe I have posted it here earlier.  My mission Sunday was to replicate that shot in digital.  I found the chamber in the fort was better lit.  It seems since 1970 they opened up the gun ports to let light in.  With the help of Photoshop I have managed to duplicate the original shot along with some other great images.

Using the D750 I shot it twice, once with a Tokina 24-40 2.8 MF and once with an old 24-80 3.5

Tokina version

Attached File  2018031827-Edit.jpg   34.06KB   0 downloads

Nikon version

Attached File  2018031865.jpg   51.33KB   0 downloads

There is different compo and processing but they are very close to the original.

To see other shots from the weekend visit my website 

I was very pleased to see how nice the fort was.  Many improvements and good maintenance makes this park a gem.  Besides the fort there is a big beach area and picnic grounds.  I recommend it to anyone visiting the Outer Banks.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users