#1 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5963 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

Lately, I've doing a lot of playing with still life photography and off-camera flash.  While I have both an SB-600 and an SB-700, the SB-700 is the newer unit; and more user-friendly, so I've been using that.

However, it's behaviour is starting to make me wonder.  I can fire it repeatedly (numbers vary), then it will simply freeze.  Settings can't be changed at all.  Turning the on/off switch does nothing.  My work around has been to open and close the battery cover.

Has anyone else encountered this type of performance?  If so, any thoughts on what is happening?  

If I was using the unit on-camera, I'd be very concerned. However, it is sitting on a Cactus V5 wireless flash trigger, so I'm not even sure how concerned I should be.  I know that it won't be going back on the camera until I get to the bottom of this.

Also, if this is a serious problem, I'm not even sure if it is worth getting the unit fixed because there is a good chance that the repair cost will be greater than the cost of a new speed light.  Further, I can buy 5 Yongnuo speed lights for less than 1 SB-700.  They won't be going on that camera, so What the Heck?

Any thoughts or ideas on this are greatly appreciated.  Many thanks in advance for your help!  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19180 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:00 PM

Call Nikon, sounds like a circuit issue to me. I have one but it has never frozen on me.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5963 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

Art, that's a good suggestion.

It worked fine, today, but if the problem happens again, I'll call Nikon Canada.  Meanwhile, it will be used only for off-camera flash.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#4 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19180 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:23 AM

Mark, their phone support is good, I call them often. Give them a good description and they will advise.

Hope it is in the warranty period. I suspect you have a problem.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#5 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5963 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:41 PM

Mark, their phone support is good, I call them often. Give them a good description and they will advise.

Hope it is in the warranty period. I suspect you have a problem.

Thanks for the info, Art.

I'm really glad to hear about their phone support.  I have a hunch that you are right about having a problem.  On the do list for early next week. 

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5963 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:23 PM

Here's the update:  the SB-700 is less than 3 years old, but Angela can't find the Air Miles receipt; and Air Miles records don't go back that far.

The good news:  my local camera club recommended a local camera repair shop that does quality work.  The bad news:  circuits are so scrambled that repairs will cost roughly $240.  That's almost as much as for a new SB-700 and more than cost of new third party flash.

I ordered a Yongnuo YN560III from Amazon.  I'm so impressed with the build quality that I'm going to order a Yongnuo TTL flash.  Reviews are mostly good and Amazon has a good return policy (local camera store doesn't take returns on flash units).  Some folks suggest that a Nikon SB-700 would be a safer investment - but I already had one of those go South on me, didn't I?  :angry:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#7 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5963 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:13 PM

Final update:  the YongNuo YN685 arrived yesterday.

I'm still testing it, but so far, I very much like what I see.  Build quality looks solid.  :)

Sorry, Nikon.  Amazon has a good return policy; and this is half the cost of an SB700.  Besides, one of those already went south on me, remember?  :angry:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users