• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:46 AM

How do you focus?  :huh:

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#2 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:05 AM

Okay dumb question, pre focus then put the filter on  :P  and hopefully my cheap tripod won't allow the camera to move too much

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#3 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

First you focus, then you install the filter.  If you're worried about your camera moving, compose using a slightly wider FOV than you normally would (either zoom out or move back).  Then you can crop out what you don't want in post.

Or, use Xume filter adapters.  They're magnetic, so there's not much to putting the filter on.

Edited by 480sparky, 16 January 2017 - 10:10 AM.

Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#4 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5295 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

With a mirrorless you simply focus with the filer on as the viewfinder compensates for lighting and filters.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#5 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2277 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:53 AM

With a 10 stop, you probably won't see through the optical viewfinder. Depending on what camera/lens combo you use(and how bright it is outside), you may be able to get an image in live view. Try setting the lens to wide open aperture in live view. If you can get an image to focus just don't forget to stop down to shooting aperture before taking the shot. If you don't get an image on the screen you have to remove the filter to focus. And don't forget to cover the viewfinder. With a 10 stop ND, enough light can get through the finder to ruin the image.

Edited by LightMeter, 17 January 2017 - 03:55 AM.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users