• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:03 PM

I want to cut the cord and would like some real world reviews if they work well or not. I'm about 64 miles from Boston and 62 miles from Providence with a couple lesser antennas within 30 miles. Anyone try them out?

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24011 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:47 PM

We tried that in our bedroom trying not to pay for another cable box and it was a mixed bag we got about 15 channels but the reception was hit and miss and we would have to move the digital antenna around for different channels so the power assisted window mounted ones are not so good and we live about 10 miles from downtown Memphis and Memphis is fairly flat. We finally gave up and paid the additional 17$ for another box.

My guess is you being so far out you will need a roof top one with power boost and a rotary or omni directional antenna. 

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:41 PM

There is no such thing as a 'digital' antenna.  It's pure Madison Avenue hype.  All RF signals are analog. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you got sold down the river.

Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#4 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7848 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

There is no such thing as a 'digital' antenna.  It's pure Madison Avenue hype.  All RF signals are analog. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you got sold down the river.

I hear you, Sparky.

But $5 is a small risk to take.  :)

https://www.primecab...0aAqkWEALw_wcB#

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#5 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7455 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:24 PM

I want to cut the cord and would like some real world reviews if they work well or not. I'm about 64 miles from Boston and 62 miles from Providence with a couple lesser antennas within 30 miles. Anyone try them out?

My son uses this set-up to "cut the cord".https://www.amazon.c...yo_pop_ma_share and https://www.amazon.c...yo_pop_ma_share . I've seen the result and am impressed with the quality of the reception. The broadcast channels that he gets is every bit as good as what I'm getting on cable.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#6 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:50 PM

Analog signals no longer exist

https://www.superpag...cable-channels/

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#7 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1417 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:00 PM

Digital signals are compromised of zeros and ones, analog has a different format.

#8 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:44 PM

The INFORMATION sent is encoded digital.  The CARRIER WAVE (in this case, radio frequencies) is still analog.

There is no differentiation between an 'analog' antenna and a 'digital' antenna.  They still receive an analog radio wave.

Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#9 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1417 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

That is correct, but a huge difference in the format itself. HD antenna is more of a commercial term, but it's no need to get your tights in a bunch over. They call it what they call it, your dismay will not change that. When SHOPPING for an antenna to view modern television signals you must Google HD Antenna whether you like it or not :D

#10 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7444 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:29 AM

Sparky is quite correct... radio waves are by nature an anologue signal... the advantage that you get with digital encoding is that 'if' you recieve a signal the picture quality is regenerated very well as opposed to anologue(tv) which deteriorates as the signal level fades. At 60-70 miles you will need an outside highgain antenna with good low loss coax cable, and maybe an amplifier... but is well within possible. The antenna needs to be rated for the particular channels you are trying to recieve.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users