65 replies to this topic

#61 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

Possibly the meaning is that these new lenses, although designed primarily for the DSLR, will appeal to the mirroless user due to their small size, simplicity and low price?
Who we are, shapes what we see ~ Chris Orwig

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#62 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15721 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

Possibly the meaning is that these new lenses, although designed primarily for the DSLR, will appeal to the mirroless user due to their small size, simplicity and low price?

Yes, that is what Thom thinks. Makes sense, well, maybe it makes Nikon sense.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#63 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

I like the specs on the D500.  The frame rate is perfectly suited for sports, wildlife and aviation.  The improved AF system, better low light performance, bigger buffer (maybe), and articulating screen are all big pluses.

I've been digging a bit and there are some important facts about memory cards.  It will be using XQD 2.0 for top speed.  This means you get best performance from the Lexar Professional 2966 XQD card or the new Sony card.  The older Lexar card is cheaper, but it's XQD 1.0 and will be a little slower.

The SD slot is UHS-II.  This is the first Nikon camera with UHS-II.  UHS-II is the next generation of SD with an extra row of contacts.  These cards can be slower than the fast UHS-I cards in UHS-I cameras and readers.  You'll need a UHS-II reader.  Most computers are not UHS-II yet so a card reader will be a lot faster.  A UHS-I card can be used, but it will be pretty slow. 

There is a lot of conflicting information about write speed, buffer size, etc.  Nikon never reports what the actual buffer size is, but the D800 had a buffer of approximately 1 GB.  I expect a larger buffer in the D500 - but don't know that is the case.  Most of the reports from Nikon reference 12 bit RAW.  I've seen reports of uncompressed and lossless compressed NEF files, and the statements don't make sense.  An uncompressed 14 bit file will be around 40 MB while a lossy compressed 12 bit file will be around 20 MB.  The difference has a big impact on buffer utilization, burst size, and time to fill the buffer.  It is a legitimate 10 fps, but they have not clearly disclosed data to fully explain the buffer and write speed conditions.

If someone photographs birds on flight, sports or aviation - this is a great choice.  It's a good all purpose of backup camera for those with a D4 or D5.   I think it's a great pairing with a D810 to provide a fast frame rate camera.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

https://bowlesimages.com/

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#64 BCRose

BCRose

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:40 PM

I am sure you discovered this by now but the specs say 200 RAW image continuous shooting.  The buffer should not be an issue.

I like the specs on the D500.  The frame rate is perfectly suited for sports, wildlife and aviation.  The improved AF system, better low light performance, bigger buffer (maybe), and articulating screen are all big pluses.

I've been digging a bit and there are some important facts about memory cards.  It will be using XQD 2.0 for top speed.  This means you get best performance from the Lexar Professional 2966 XQD card or the new Sony card.  The older Lexar card is cheaper, but it's XQD 1.0 and will be a little slower.

The SD slot is UHS-II.  This is the first Nikon camera with UHS-II.  UHS-II is the next generation of SD with an extra row of contacts.  These cards can be slower than the fast UHS-I cards in UHS-I cameras and readers.  You'll need a UHS-II reader.  Most computers are not UHS-II yet so a card reader will be a lot faster.  A UHS-I card can be used, but it will be pretty slow. 

There is a lot of conflicting information about write speed, buffer size, etc.  Nikon never reports what the actual buffer size is, but the D800 had a buffer of approximately 1 GB.  I expect a larger buffer in the D500 - but don't know that is the case.  Most of the reports from Nikon reference 12 bit RAW.  I've seen reports of uncompressed and lossless compressed NEF files, and the statements don't make sense.  An uncompressed 14 bit file will be around 40 MB while a lossy compressed 12 bit file will be around 20 MB.  The difference has a big impact on buffer utilization, burst size, and time to fill the buffer.  It is a legitimate 10 fps, but they have not clearly disclosed data to fully explain the buffer and write speed conditions.

If someone photographs birds on flight, sports or aviation - this is a great choice.  It's a good all purpose of backup camera for those with a D4 or D5.   I think it's a great pairing with a D810 to provide a fast frame rate camera.

Cheers,
Monte

#65 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

If the spec of 200 RAW images is correct, that's certainly a positive.  But "200 RAW" is not as clear as "200 Lossless Compressed NEF files".  14 bit Lossless compressed files for the D500 will be about 25 MB each requiring a buffer of 5 GB - which is very unlikely.

The D750 has stated buffer of 100 images if you shoot 12 bit lossless compressed in DX crop mode - and that's about 1 GB.  But if you are shooting 14 bit lossless compressed full sized images, the buffer size is just 48 images.  (D750 manual page 492).

The D800E and most earlier cameras have a buffer of 1 GB.  The D4/D4s buffer looks like about 2 GB and holds 200 images in 12 bit DX crop mode, but only 144 images in 14 bit uncompressed mode.  

I suspect there may be something missing in the communication of a 200 frame buffer, and that the spec is for a smaller file size (12 bit compressed in DX mode).  A 2 GB buffer would still be a big advancement for a DX camera, but one where card write speed makes a difference.  A 14 bit lossless compressed RAW file is about twice the size, so the buffer would hold about 90-100 images.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

https://bowlesimages.com/

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#66 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21817 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:58 PM

Nikon.ca has the D500 up on it's web site, front and centre.  Impressive specs.... but a DX format is not in my radar any time soon.

Having gone to FX, I will simply wait for the right FX model to come around next for any future body considerations.  The D810 didn't push the envelope enough for me to notice.

Attached File  NikonD500.jpg   183.28KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users