• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9836 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:23 AM

See link: https://www.dailycam...ly Camera News)

Expensive BUT wait for it... you do get  a built-in 1.4x TC too!

:)

• Art likes this

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19563 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for the link, Herman. This lens sounds like it will be a beauty, hopefully at half the weight.

So many great products and so little money!

:lol:

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6162 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for the link, Herman.

I'm sure that this lens will be awesome; and it is clear that Nikon has been making careful plans.  My problem is that it is more than $5k more expensive than the 200-500.  A 1.4 teleconverter for the 200-500 puts it close to the price for Sigma's 150-600 Sport version.  I'm sure that there is a niche market for this new lens; and equally sure that I'm not part of that market.  :rolleyes:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19563 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

Mark,

As long as your arms can carry it... get the 200-400mm VR version!  OMG. I love this lens.

I wish I had so much disposable income I could replace it with a new version, but I don't.  But I am not crying in my soup, I am extremely happy with my glass collection.

#5 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:09 PM

Nikon Rumors indicated it was on the update block last summer. So it's the leading speculation for what will be the last lens announcement of the year, probably. I'm sure the update will be really good but I guarantee it will be crazy expensive. I'll just be happy with my 300 f4 PF for now. It's actually a lot sharper than the 200-400 at distances > 100 feet.

#6 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22561 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for the link, Herman. This lens sounds like it will be a beauty, hopefully at half the weight.

So many great products and so little money!

Remember Art you only have two Kidneys! :P

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#7 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6162 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

Mark,

As long as your arms can carry it... get the 200-400mm VR version!  OMG. I love this lens.

I wish I had so much disposable income I could replace it with a new version, but I don't.  But I am not crying in my soup, I am extremely happy with my glass collection.

Art, all of my reading agrees with your suggestion.  Now for the reality check:

https://bccamera.com...d-vr-ii-nikkor/

I would never get to enjoy the lens because I would have to sell it, to make alimony payments!  :o  :lol:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19563 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:20 AM

Well, Mark, that is VRII

Mine is VR I.  Essentially the same lens at a much cheaper price.

Get a used one, half the price and no tax and the price is dropping!

I am lucky, sometimes my wife asks... and I never lie.... and sometimes she doesn't.

My stock answer to how much things cost is .... "you don't want to know!"

If she asks, I tell her.

I have never said, "No" to my wife on anything she has ever wanted and it works the same in return.

I gave her a ball park on the D850 ... Under $5K.  and we changed the subject.

#9 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:55 AM

I've got the VR I model and it's one of my favorite lenses as well.  The focal length is great, but it's the other things that make it a favorite.  It's my go to lens for large mammals - elk, deer, and bears.  It's also a good choice for wading birds although I prefer the 600 f/4.  The 200-400 is not the sharpest lens - and could be better with teleconverters.  It's about the same or slightly sharper than the 200-500 - and you could argue the 200-500 is sharper.  And it's a big lens that really needs a monopod, tripod, or some type of support for use while the 200-500 is easy to handhold.  The 200-400 is constant length while the cheaper alternatives extend as you zoom creating durability and balance issues.

A constant f/4 aperture is worth a lot for large wildlife and action.  The 200-500 is a constant f/5.6 while the various 150-600 lenses are all f/6.3 at the long end.  The wider aperture is better for low light, and produces nice, smooth backgrounds.  And the 200-500 and alternatives extend, making them inappropriate for rain or wet conditions, and wrong for rough use.

BUT - with the introduction of the 200-500 and the high quality 150-600 gear, the used price of the 200-400 has plummeted.  This $6800 lens is selling for $2500-3000 on the used market - and even then it's hard to find a buyer.  

The market is very small for someone willing to pay $7500-8000 for a new ED FL version of the 200-400.  If people are selling the 200-400 in favor of the 200-500 and 150-600, how many people will buy the lens.  It certainly would be a good lens for some pro sports, but many of them choose a faster 400mm f/2.8.  Perhaps for golf photographers it makes sense - and that's a market of about 20 people.   Perhaps the 200-400 is due to be updated, but my take is it is a niche lens for a very small market and you are unlilkely to see anyone giving up a 200-500 or 150-600 to upgrade.

I'm probably a candidate to upgrade my 200-400, but the expense would be tough to justify.  I also plan to keep some dry powder for the Nikon mirrorless in 2018 or 2019 depending on how it is positioned.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#10 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14326 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

How is the 200-400 VRI with a 2x?

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#11 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6649 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:08 AM

I've never used mine with a 2x TC I suppose that is due to the fact I don't have a 2x TC. I like the versatility of the 200-400 though. I have used it a lot on a  RRS monopod and head with a 1.4 TC to photograph TransAm races. I tend now to use the 200-500 VR handheld because it is so much easier to tote around. The 200-400 AF is much more accurate however.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#12 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6162 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

Well, Mark, that is VRII

Mine is VR I.  Essentially the same lens at a much cheaper price.

Get a used one, half the price and no tax and the price is dropping!

I am lucky, sometimes my wife asks... and I never lie.... and sometimes she doesn't.

My stock answer to how much things cost is .... "you don't want to know!"

If she asks, I tell her.

I have never said, "No" to my wife on anything she has ever wanted and it works the same in return.

I gave her a ball park on the D850 ... Under $5K.  and we changed the subject.

Art, some day, I would like to introduce your wife to my wife.  They would get along.

I gave Angela a ball park on the 200-500.  That produced some muttering, along with the comment that it is a darned good thing that I'm working.  Like you and your wife, we changed the subject at that point.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#13 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:05 AM

I I used the 1.4 and 1.7 TC on the 200-400 VR1 and the 2.0 TC on the 200-400 VR II. Of all of them the 1.4 was the best. The 2.0 was passable but you really notice the drop in sharpness, especially if your subject is at a distance that necessitates a 2.0. I would stop down to f11 to get some back but, depending upon your camera, you're already softened from diffraction. I use the newest 1.4 TC on my 300 PF and would use it on other fast primes but I don't think I'd do any other TC for any other lens. You'd probably do better using a DX camera with the 200-400, really. And the price difference isn't that much but the value proposition is.

#14 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

My experience was similar.  The 1.4 teleconverter works pretty well - especially the version 3 of that teleconverter.  I'm less likely to use the 1.7 and I avoid the 2.0.  With distant subjects, focus with Live View makes a difference.

Where the 200-400 comes into it's own is closer subjects - inside 100 yards.  It's really good at that range producing sharp images with nice backgrounds.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#15 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19563 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

Art, some day, I would like to introduce your wife to my wife.  They would get along.

I gave Angela a ball park on the 200-500.  That produced some muttering, along with the comment that it is a darned good thing that I'm working.  Like you and your wife, we changed the subject at that point.  :)

Best to avoid the discussion.

We all need to be happy in life, I have the very few things I like, they are not cheap.

And, don't smoke, don't drink ( excessively), don't party, don't waste and have little demands and I try my best.

As does my wife.  Good partnership.

So, these things are not flash points.  Besides, she just recently got a new car, I made an absolute point of dressing it up exactly how she wanted it, spared nothing.

We are redoing the kitchen, bought everything she wanted.  Don't think she has a lot to say. ;)

Gladly, if you are out east any time, let me know.  Unfortunately, I won't be coming west any time soon.  Was there a fair amount when I owned my computer company. Would like to get to other parts of the country before I can't move or exit, stage left! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users