6 replies to this topic

#1 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

Like many of you, I photographed the lunar eclipse - in my case with a Nikon Z6 and a D850.  My lens was the Nikon 600 f/4 AFS VR - and for a few shots also with the TC14E III teleconverter.  For the Z6, I used the FTZ adapter.

I had a strong preference for the Z6 over the D850.  I used Pinpoint AF, and through the viewfinder found it was much easier to achieve sharp focus and check focus.  With the D850, the OVF was dim during totality and it was very hard to accurately focus without LiveView.  LiveView was a bit grainy and slow to focus.  In comparison, focusing with the Z6 and the EVF was fast, accurate, and easy.

Exposures were using Electronic Front Curtain Shutter and Exposure Delay Mode at 3 seconds.

One of the key questions for me was the point at which subject motion - the earth's rotation - caused blurring of the image.  The Z6 and D850 have remarkably low noise at high ISO levels, but when you start recovering shadows and cropping deeply, the noise is more pronounced.  With high resolution cameras, we can get sharp images and view them at 100%, so rotation of the earth is a factor.

I tested shutter speed down to 1/5 sec, and ISO levels up to 1600.  I could have gone a little higher with ISO, but ISO 1000 to ISO 1600 seemed to be the sweet spot.  With shutter speeds of 1/8 sec I had obvious motion issues turning stars into short lines.  I could get away with 1/8 sec. with modest cropping at 600mm, but with the teleconverter and effective 850mm, 1/8 sec had clear motion impact seen in stars.

Here was an eclipse image during totality.  This was with the Z6 at 1/8 sec, f/4, ISO 1250

Attached Files

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

https://bowlesimages.com/

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:51 PM

Wow great shot Eric.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23855 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:31 PM

Wow nicely done Eric!

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21614 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:35 AM

That is extremely well done, Eric! Bravo!

Signature_Line_V4

#5 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2622 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:21 AM

Nice. l had to work that night. So l got to see it when l would go out on a pizza delivery. Thought about taking the D7100, Tamron 150-600, and a tripod to work. And clock out for about an hour to photograph it. But l didn't .

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, D7000, D40, Canon M50, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7604 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:10 PM

Very nice shot, Eric.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#7 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:36 PM

Thanks everyone.

I was quite surprised at how much easier it was to use the Z6.  I fully expected to use my D850 most of the time.  

The other surprise was the amount of star movement showing up at 600-850mm.  It has a major impact on exposure times when you need to maintain detail.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

https://bowlesimages.com/

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users