• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21341 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

•••• PROCEED WITH CAUTION ••••

There doesn't appear to be much done to this edition. I would not download it as it seems to take over your free version.

DxO has released a new version at a reasonable price.

$50 US

https://shop.dxo.com...ntent=customers

Downloading free trial to have a look see!!

Very exciting, hope they have done some major improvements to this!

Signature_Line_V4

#2 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21341 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:14 PM

Having a look and ....

So far, I can't notice any discernible difference between the free stuff and this new package for $50!  Other than, the DxO Logo on the top right!

So, what is new and improved?

Signature_Line_V4

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7310 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:59 AM

So, what is new and improved?

The price?

Joking aside, I didn't see many differences when I went to their web site.  <_<

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#4 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23654 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:14 PM

Good to know Art, I will hold off until my current version of Nik no longer works.

Jim

• Art likes this

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21341 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:27 PM

The price?

Joking aside, I didn't see many differences when I went to their web site.  <_<

I downloaded the trial......

NADA

Nothing different other than a logo, a copyright and they over wrote my older copies.

Signature_Line_V4

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21341 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:28 PM

Good to know Art, I will hold off until my current version of Nik no longer works.

Jim

I would wait, unless you want to support them, as they are broke, from what I understand.

What a stupid, stupid company.

Signature_Line_V4

#7 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7310 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:34 PM

I downloaded the trial......

NADA

Nothing different other than a logo, a copyright and they over wrote my older copies.

Thanks for the heads up, Art.  As long as my current version still works, I'll keep it.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#8 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7310 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

Hmm...  Thom Hogan is commenting about the new release.  Looks like he isn't too impressed either.

http://dslrbodies.co...018-by-dxo.html

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21341 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:58 PM

Hmm...  Thom Hogan is commenting about the new release.  Looks like he isn't too impressed either.

http://dslrbodies.co...018-by-dxo.html

This stinks of a desperate company having financial trouble.  It just looks like a money grab of $50.

It might be worth sending them a Pity---- $50 so you have a more current version, but after they resolve the bugs. 

If Nikon had any brains, they would buy this from them and fix NX II and include it in a super bundled package.

Signature_Line_V4

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21341 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:29 PM

•••• WELL, I WARNED YOU!!! ••••

When you uninstall this garbage, IT ERASES EVERY TRACE OF NIK YOU HAVE INSTALLED!!!  ALL OF IT!!

- Download Folder

- ZIPPED FILE

- OLD FREE SOFTWARE

- everything!

I recovered by going to another drive and opening a zipped google download!!!

These guys are A-HOLES

Signature_Line_V4

#11 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:49 PM

All I know it works well on my iMac. DxO is in the business of making money and not giving their product away. Sure we all loved the "Free" and unsupported NIK but I prefer a supported and free enterprise copy myself.  When NIK first came out, I bought it. 

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21341 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:31 AM

All I know it works well on my iMac. DxO is in the business of making money and not giving their product away. Sure we all loved the "Free" and unsupported NIK but I prefer a supported and free enterprise copy myself.  When NIK first came out, I bought it. 

The warning has nothing to do with FREE.

I would have gladly sent they $50.

The FREE product works perfectly fine on my iMac.  No issues.

When I took a close look at the FREE vs the $50.... I see NOTHING has changed other than they added their logo.  If they did minor tweaks, it  doesn't apply to me.

So, the impression I have is, they are SOAKING the base.

As for SUPPORTED.... in the 3 years I have been using it .... I have not needed SUPPORT because it works.

I love a SUPPORTED NIK.  I would love a SUPPORTED NIK EVEN MORE WITH SOMETHING OF VALUE ADDED.

On this pass, I see NOTHING of value. So, if you enjoy being BENT OVER just because they put their logo on it... well ... they didn't get my $50 bucks.

Also, and more importantly, they WIPED OUT ALL TRACE OF NIK on your hard drive when you UNINSTALL the free demo!  Lovely. I would think, even your paid version would have been wiped out!

Yes, yes, yes, we all know it is about business.  Some companies have some class... others... well... DxO is on the verge of bankruptcy ... .that should speak for itself.  A CLASS ACT, they are not.

Signature_Line_V4

#13 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7310 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:46 PM

I have the old version installed on my iMac.  Based on Art's comments, I wouldn't think about installing the new version on that.

However, I would still consider installing it on my MacBook, if I thought that I would make full use of it.  However, I plan to use the MacBook for tethered shooting, using Lightroom initially.  If I spent money on software, it would be for something that allowed Live Viewing and control of the camera, such as CamRanger or Capture One.

Charles, while I agree with you that we shouldn't expect DxO to give away Nik for free, if we buy it, we have the right to expect value for money.  Nik by DxO might be great value for first time users; but I don't see any value as an upgrade.  Just my two cents.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#14 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21341 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

I have the old version installed on my iMac.  Based on Art's comments, I wouldn't think about installing the new version on that.

However, I would still consider installing it on my MacBook, if I thought that I would make full use of it.  However, I plan to use the MacBook for tethered shooting, using Lightroom initially.  If I spent money on software, it would be for something that allowed Live Viewing and control of the camera, such as CamRanger or Capture One.

Charles, while I agree with you that we shouldn't expect DxO to give away Nik for free, if we buy it, we have the right to expect value for money.  Nik by DxO might be great value for first time users; but I don't see any value as an upgrade.  Just my two cents.  :)

And, I couldn't have said it more succinctly.  Thanks.

Signature_Line_V4

#15 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23654 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:44 PM

My problem is a friend who bought his version from Google tried the updated version and it erased his paid version. Now thats wrong and greedy.

I never downloaded it after Art warned us and I will not download it my version works just fine. I initially paid for it years ago then updated it when google offered it free.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#16 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21341 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:09 PM

James,

I asked them point blank 3 times what would happen if I used the uninstaller.

No answer.

Sleazy company.
Signature_Line_V4

#17 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23654 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:38 AM

James,

I asked them point blank 3 times what would happen if I used the uninstaller.

No answer.

Sleazy company.

Thats because they knew what would happen and force people to pay the 50$. I love it but when it breaks due to updates to Mac OS Ill just move one. My friend had paid full price twice actually once when he bought it when it was Nik, then he switched to Mac and of coarse that was after Google bought Nik so he ponied up the money again only to have DXO wipe him out again to say that least he was done.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#18 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21341 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:29 AM

Someone taught me a trick online that fixed all the bugs for Mac.

Apparently, NIK had a tendency to double install the Arial Font.

If you went into FONT BOOK, removed all the doubles, fixed everything. I never crash using it.

Also, others have tested the “new” version and came to the same conclusions as me, they basically upgraded nothing. NIK was pretty much bug free and this version they put out is a scam.
Signature_Line_V4

#19 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7310 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:17 PM

Thats because they knew what would happen and force people to pay the 50$. I love it but when it breaks due to updates to Mac OS Ill just move one. My friend had paid full price twice actually once when he bought it when it was Nik, then he switched to Mac and of coarse that was after Google bought Nik so he ponied up the money again only to have DXO wipe him out again to say that least he was done.

Jim

I love Nik, but my work flow has changed in recent months.  LR CC is becoming so feature rich that I'm not using Nik as much as I used to.  It's still functioning (as of last week), but I use Color Efex much less than I used to.  I still love Silver Efex for B & W.

Unfortunately, for Nik and DxO, even Adobe-haters have lots of alternatives, with reputable companies who respect their customers.  When my iMac version of Nik finally crashes, my business will go to one of those companies.  :)

• Art likes this
Mark

D810
Various lenses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users