• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CaseyJM

CaseyJM

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:Paramedic by trade, Photography by passion, Hunting, Fishing (Bass - bucket mouth or Bronze Backs) Target Shooting, World of Warcraft (my personal getaway), Firearms wood stock refinishing, Action movies

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

any one out there that has used both the 500 and the 7500 and compared them side by side that could make a recommendation.  I am looking to upgrade and wildlife is a big part of what i like to shoot.  that being said the difference in price is minimal.  The two points I'm stuck on is the buffer for RAW and that AF.  the d500 buffer is huge compared to the 7500 and the AF is supposed to be a major improvement over the 7500.  I don't know that personally as i have not shot with it.  Any one out there that has I would appreciate your input. 

_DSC8728-2_zpsxeu0azby.jpg

Nikon D7200, Tokina 11-16 F2.8 AT-X Pro, Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron 150-600 F/5.6-6.3 Di VC G2, 
Nikon SB-600, Pro-Master GH-25 Gimbal, Pro-Master 528 Tripod[/font][/color]

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6643 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:37 PM

Jerome I would pick the D500... on specs anyway, especially for wildlife. the D7500 is slightly smaller/lighter and has a built in flash...about the only advantages over the D500. The rest ..speed ..buffer.. focusing points..battery life... build (magnesium alloy).. shutter life... point to the D500  https://photographyl...n-d500-vs-d7500.  And if the money is close.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5335 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:48 AM

Definitely the D500.

The D7500 has a single card slot - the D7200 had two.

The D7500 can't take a grip - The D7200 could.

The D7500 isn't compatible with MF lenses - the D7200 was.

If anything the question would be save money and buy a D7200 or pay the extra for the D500.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#4 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10008 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:33 AM

I'm surprised the financial difference between the two is so small...

My sources reveal a price difference of minimal 50%. Even with this BIG difference in price, I would still go for the D500.

The D500 is in a different league!

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#5 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

The D500 is an action camera and the D7500 is an all purpose camera.  Both cameras are excellent - but in a nutshell that's the decision.

The D500 frame rate and large buffer are tuned to photographing action.  The AF system is new and excellent producing a big improvement in the keeper rate.  For action, there is a big difference.  The fast memory cards further support the idea of an action camera.  The camera has the latest technology but carries a premium price.  There is a bit of a learning curve with the D500 - for example the AF system is new and old settings and technique will need to be updated.

The D7500 is a very good all purpose camera.  It replaces the D7200 with some modest upgrades.  It has an on-camera flash which may not be the best option, but provides a very good option for casual images.  The frame rate, buffer, and memory cards are all good, but reflect the use of older technology.  Compared to most cameras you will be perfectly happy - unless you are photographing fast action.  It's not that the D7500 is unable to photograph action - it's similar to earlier cameras.  It's just the D500 is outstanding.

I bought a D500 for my own use, and a D7200 for my wife more than a year ago.  Buying today, she'd get  D7500 rather than a D500 as her photography is more generalist in nature.  Sure - she photographs foxhunting and birds in flight - and the D7200 is fine for those.  But for regular use with those subjects, the D500 is a nice step up.

Both of these cameras are excellent.  They both are solid and have a typical Nikon layout of controls.  If you are used to earlier models, you'll have little trouble picking up either of these cameras and shooting it immediately.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#6 CaseyJM

CaseyJM

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:Paramedic by trade, Photography by passion, Hunting, Fishing (Bass - bucket mouth or Bronze Backs) Target Shooting, World of Warcraft (my personal getaway), Firearms wood stock refinishing, Action movies

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:31 PM

Thanks all for your input,  I have the 7200 and i like but looking for better keeper ratios for wildlife including birds in flight.  that being said the difference for me is about $650.00 and i think that in the world of photography these days thats pretty close.  I think I will save for a couple of months and go for the d500.  thanks again all and a great and happy new years for all PN family

_DSC8728-2_zpsxeu0azby.jpg

Nikon D7200, Tokina 11-16 F2.8 AT-X Pro, Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron 150-600 F/5.6-6.3 Di VC G2, 
Nikon SB-600, Pro-Master GH-25 Gimbal, Pro-Master 528 Tripod[/font][/color]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users