Darrell Young's Blog

A Tale of Three Sigma Lenses

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 14 December 2009 - - - - - - · 3658 views
Nikon, sigma, camera, buy and 3 more...
A Tale of Three Sigma Lenses

I want to tell you a tale mixed with happiness, aggravation, frustration, and compromise.

I've owned a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM lens for a couple of years now, and it has performed well and been a reliable lens. So, I figured I'd be safe in buying another Sigma EX pro lens. Maybe I was wrong. The jury is...

Nikon D300s vs. Nikon D90 - Noise Showdown at 6400 ISO

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 07 December 2009 - - - - - - · 5650 views
Which is better?
I have been reading various opinions on the internet where people are claiming that the Nikon D90 has better looking images at high-ISO sensitivity settings than the Nikon D300s. It made me curious! So, being the extremely humble and modest fellow that I am, I thought I might offer my opinion. :P Since many may just be picking up cameras and firing—w...

Sierra Club National Park Contest - Image IP Rights Grab?

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 17 September 2009 - - - - - - · 1247 views

As a nature photographer and lover of National Parks I considered entering a contest sponsored by the Sierra Club today. I went to examine the contest and was even about to join the Sierra Club—before I read the contest terms. Here's a link to the contest information.

The Sierra Club is all about protecting the rights of animals, plants, and even t...

Greenbrier in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 12 August 2009 - - - - - - · 2173 views

I have a great fondness for taking pictures in the Smoky Mountains. As far back as I can remember I've been running around the Smokies with my camera and tripod. Recently, I set out to find a place in the Smokies that I'd never seen. One place that was new to me is Greenbrier, near Gatlinburg.

I had seen all the standard Smoky Mountain sigh...

Nikon D300s and D3000 Announced

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 30 July 2009 - - - - - - · 1658 views

Nikon D300s

Nikon® announced two new cameras on July 30, 2009, the new Nikon D300s and the D3000.

The new Nikon D300s adds 720p HD video capture with Contrast Detect Autofocus, a first for Nikon. There is also a new stereo input for high-res stereo sound to match the video.

It also adds an additional SD/SDHC memory card slot in addition to Compact Flas...

Nikon D5000 - A Great Little Companion

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 27 July 2009 - - - - - - · 1137 views

I bought a Nikon D5000 on April 14, 2009—the day it was announced. Amazon.com sent it by UPS and I had it in my hands on April 23, 2009. Quick delivery! I like Amazon.com.

I'm writing my fourth Mastering the Nikon DSLR book in association with NikoniansPress and Rocky Nook, so I needed a sample camera. My latest book, due out just before Christma...

Mastering the Nikon DSLR Series as "Torrent" downloads?

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 25 July 2009 - - - - - - · 2005 views

VIRUS ALERT: I've always wanted to say that, but haven't had a need before now. The NikoniansPress/Rocky Nook "Mastering the Nikon DSLR" series is very popular. When anything gets popular online, certain shady segments of society look for ways to take advantage of that popularity. My books are no exception! If you are a user of Bitstre...

Scanning Blues

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 15 July 2009 - - - - - - · 902 views

As I sit here typing, I am also scanning in the background.

While going through the closet upstairs, I found a giant box of color negatives from the last 30-years of film photography. I grabbed an envelope full of negatives and found my wedding pictures from my and Digital Brenda's wedding in 1979. How can I express the abiding love I have for my...

No More Dust on My Camera's Sensor!

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 13 February 2009 - - - - - - · 752 views

I found some dust on my camera's sensor, so I decided to clean it. It was difficult, but after a while I got it clean enough. The water hose helped a lot!

From my experience with the sneaky dust on my sensor, I came to understand one thing clearly: Dust is watching us!

After my sensor cleaning experience this morning, I decided to eradicat...

Digital vs. Film ... Even More To Say!

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 29 May 2007 - - - - - - · 367 views

I was reading yet another discussion of Film vs. Digital today, and thinking about the arguments presented. I came to some conclusions.

Using a 6-megapixel camera only gives you comparable quality to film up to about 11x14 inches (28 x 36 cm). Unless one has used a 10-12 megapixel camera, and done some big enlargements, then there is no room to compare....

Squirrels...you say?

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 09 February 2007 - - - - - - · 684 views

Today, someone mentioned squirrels in the forums. Immediately my blood pressure rose to dangerous levels. Again, I started contemplating evil things concerning squirrels. Somebody help me!

But, you must understand -- it is NOT my fault. For you see, I have several demonized squirrels in my yard. They eat 50 pounds of birdseed every day. They can...

New Sensor Technology!

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 22 January 2007 - - - - - - · 780 views

The other day I read somewhere about a new type of sensor. They take special small crystals of some light sensitive grains and put them in a layered acetate base. The cool thing about this new sensor is that it replaces itself on each shot, so there's no need to worry about dust spots.

The new cameras actually take a roll of these sensors and move t...

Digital vs. Film ... not again!!!

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 05 January 2007 - - - - - - · 526 views

Some may feel that it is harder to learn photography by using a digital camera, since a newbie will just shoot hundreds of images, with no thought to how they were created. That is a valid point for some, but there are some other thoughts along that line. I had a few of those thoughts recently, and am now blogging to you about them:

I basically gave up...

They've added an "S" to my Nikon D2X...

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 03 June 2006 - - - - - - · 488 views

Well, it happened!

The camera I paid USD $5000 for only 14-months ago is now obsolete. My D2X is merely "last-years-model" now that the D2Xs has been released. How should I feel? Should I sell my faithful D2X and buy a new D2Xs?

NAS screams buy, buy, buy! My wife screams no, no, no! Like the moderator of my life forum my...

Film vs. Digital ... The Agony and the Excitement

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 08 May 2006 - - - - - - · 383 views

Recently, I have been musing about film. I still have my beloved Nikon F5, and will never get rid of it. But, I love my Nikon D2x too!

In many countries film has a much bigger following than here in the USA. I think part of that is the fact that many do not have the emphasis on computer technology that we have here. And, how can you shoot digital...

Kidz Cam - Cheap Digital Camera Fun

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 03 May 2006 - - - - - - · 349 views

Today I was with my family at the Office Depot store.

I was looking at all the goodies a computer/camera geek like myself might buy. I checked out the newest tiny laptops, and some of Sony's tiny 6-megapixel pocket cameras. I browsed the new Post-It Sticky Photo paper, whereby you can print a 4x6 picture on a giant sticky note and stick it on the...

The Second Step to Digital Image Excellence

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 11 April 2006 - - - - - - · 371 views

So, you've bought that digital camera you've wanted for a while. The first step is complete. What is step no. 2? Get a printer? Nope! Instead, step two is to buy a monitor calibration system.

Why is THAT the second step to digital excellence? Well, it all boils down to a capability that our human brain has that can hinder our ability to...

New Lenses for Springtime Fun & Profit

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 05 April 2006 - - - - - - · 649 views

As the the gray clouds of winter recede into memory, and spring overwhelms the East Tennessee area, I feel a strong urge to head to the mountains! Today, I noticed that the RedBuds have started blooming, and that means I'll be shooting like a wild Nikonian in the Great Smokies soon.

As I was reading through the forums this evening, I noticed a lo...

Spring Has Sprung...Where's my Bowflex?

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 30 March 2006 - - - - - - · 860 views

Yesterday, it was 66 degrees here in Tennessee, USA. Today, it is going to pass 70 degrees. The Bradford Pears have come and gone, and the Redbuds will be out next. I'm seeing a lot of new green buds on the trees. It has happened again...Spring has sprung!

There is something in the air that makes me want to come out of my house cave and get r...

My Favorite Websites

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 27 March 2006 - - - - - - · 373 views

As a Nikon user, I often just browse around the web looking for articles to read about Nikon cameras.

Hardcore Nikon users and wannabe's should seriously consider joining Nikonians.org. I've been a member since way back in the early days of Nikonians.org (2000) and have enjoyed the TREMENDOUS amount of information that is available on everything...

My Picture

December 2017

S M T W T F S
1011121314 15 16

Recent Comments