• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14326 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

Read it here

https://petapixel.co...-curved-sensor/

https://nikonrumors....ed-sensor.aspx/

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#2 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19563 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

Curved sensor?

Wonder if that will fly just like Curved 3D TV's?

That is my first thought.

However, if light curves nicely to match the sensor and you get better images.... GO NIKON!

Now, I will read the article! :lol:

-----

Very cool.  Could be breakthrough technology!  Sounds exciting.  

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#3 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

Interesting

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14326 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

The problem with digital and film was the ability for film to capture light at angles, and it really didn't matter the timing of light, like red is slower than green. Digital could only capture light if it's straight on. Then they came up with micro lenses to help correct the issue. Curving the sensor with make it capture light properly.
  • Art likes this

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19563 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:18 PM

The problem with digital and film was the ability for film to capture light at angles, and it really didn't matter the timing of light, like red is slower than green. Digital could only capture light if it's straight on. Then they came up with micro lenses to help correct the issue. Curving the sensor with make it capture light properly.

Well, I hope they can exploit that into a successful line of cameras!

#6 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6503 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:24 PM

Well it should be easier to get an image sharp edge to edge and perhaps less light fall-off... But would we need to view the print on a curved plane .  or screen...? :rolleyes: After a quick glance at the article..they question whether this would be for a mirrorless or mirrored body.... I think the short distance lens to sensor available in a mirrorless design would be advantaged by a curved sensor... and matching lens. Oh no.... that would mean non backward compatibility of current lenses.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14326 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:52 PM

Or, maybe they are going for medium format mirror less. Again, still waiting.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#8 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:08 PM

Maybe it's another reason they've been silent in the mirrorless dept. Patent this new technology then go mirrorless and bury the competition in regards to the overall quality of the image. Just a theory.

• Art likes this

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#9 pendennis

pendennis

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Photography -nature, still life, architectural. Shooting sports - shotgun, rifle, pistol.

The body politic.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:31 PM

This causes me to ask the question: If the sensors are curved to match the optics of the lenses, then doesn't the image still have to be flattened for printing or viewing on a standard screen?  I know that there can be algorithms for the adjustment in the photo editor, but doesn't it make more sense to accommodate flattening the image in the exposure process, rather than later, in the editing process?

Another question is how do you accommodate for differing lens geometry, say from wide angle, to mid-range, to telephoto?  Would a curved sensor with a single concave surface handle the varying lenses' light transmission capabilities?

Best,

Dennis

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19563 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:37 AM

Only a few more days to go to find out!!

:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users