• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21074 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:39 AM

Mark,

You motivated me to take an image with 2 flashes, but I had no models handy, so here is Captain America!

My Setup

Attached File  Captain-American-Diagram.jpg   40.56KB   0 downloads    Attached File  Top-Down.jpg   45.07KB   0 downloads

Note, there is no direct flash.

The flash that lights up the front is coming in through a diffuser!

The on camera flash is bouncing off a foam core card that reflects light behind him to give him separation and depth.  No reflections, per say.

Attached File  Captain-American.jpg   268.26KB   0 downloads

Sharpened and cropped, no PP work.

Signature_Line_V4

#2 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23521 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:52 AM

Cool Art, always appreciate the info on your setups.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7141 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:09 PM

Nice work, Art.

Also, I really appreciate your diagram.

True confession time:  thank heavens for work and domestic chores.  Otherwise, I could cheerfully play with this stuff all day!  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21074 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

Thanks, Mark and Jim, appreciate your comments.

I have attached a top down image of the set up for better understanding.  The Diffuser spreads a soft light across the front of the subject.  No harsh glares, even wrap around lighting.  Really important.

The bounce flash on the camera reflects off the foam core and lights up the back, giving the subject separation from the background.  So, even though the background is black, you can sill make out a 3D image.

Signature_Line_V4

#5 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7141 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:57 AM

That black foam core background explains a lot.  Thanks for the update, Art.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21074 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:21 PM

That black foam core background explains a lot.  Thanks for the update, Art.  :)

And, he is standing on black foam core board as well.  You can see the seem because it is dark, which is why I opted for the foam core.

Basically, foam core sitting flat on the table and another butted up against the edge at the back at 90 degrees.  Nothing fancy.

Signature_Line_V4

#7 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8325 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the lesson. This is an area that I am very weak in.  I need to start playing with lighting and still life.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21074 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:13 PM

Cliff,

The Flash course I am taking was a HUGE help in breaking the mystery of Flash lighting. I highly recommend the investment if it is available to you! I have learned a lot in a little over a month.

I am lucky to have these resources so close at hand!
Signature_Line_V4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users