• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21074 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

We have been hit by a Freezing Rain storm and all of Toronto seems frozen and paralyzed.

Small sample from the backyard.  Roads are a sheet of ice, trees down, even power is down.  Posting this Hot Spotted from my iPhone, which is dying out.

Just to give you a taste.  I am sure there are some beautiful images to be had around Toronto, but I am not venturing out!!  Directly across the street from us, a huge branch off a tree came down on the neighbours house!  Lots of this going on in the city.

Attached File  Ice-Storm3.jpg   303.27KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Ice-Storm1.jpg   188.25KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Ice-Storm2.jpg   254.08KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Ice-Storm.jpg   313.21KB   0 downloads

Might be my last post in a bit.  Until Power is restored.  May sit in the car and charge the phone up.

Later….

Signature_Line_V4

#2 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10310 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation (Airbus 3x series), nature, photography and travel

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

Wowww! Nice series but I can imagine conditions being very treacherous.

All the best there, Art & Family!

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#3 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6977 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Pretty but dangerous... take care Art.

Peter

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#4 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6688 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:34 PM

Looks like a tough climate Art, Gone from 109F to 57F here, 75-80F is my kind of weather Xmas day forcasts nice and warm though, should be good! Keep safe and warm in your neck of the woods ....Gary

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#5 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8325 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Not here yet.  Still warm enough to keep it as rain.

Cliff

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21074 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:17 AM

Did a drive with the family to get food, earlier in the evening.  Power is out in patches.  My neighbourhood is heavily hit due to the number of mature old trees.  Lots of branches have come down on the power lines, some streets are completely blocked by emergency tape, not entrance or exit.  Not sure what they did with the people there.  Something bad must have happened.  We have a power line down between my home and the neighbour due to the branch that came down across the street.

No sign of Hydro anywhere.  I am cut off from news so I am not sure what is going on.  Get this…. my neighbour directly behind me has POWER!!!  I must be on the EDGE of the grid… GREAT! 

Really, really getting annoying now….

Check back when I can access again!

Check this out:

http://www.cp24.com/...-gta-1.1604254#

Signature_Line_V4

#7 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7141 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:29 AM

It's been on the news all day.

Got my fingers x'd for ya, Art.  Look at this way:  being safe and annoyed is better than some of the alternatives.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21074 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:38 AM

Hi Mark,  Safety first, always.

Get this… Etobicoke… you guess it… where I live…. Gets hit the worst!!  <_<

Phone down to 1%… this is also very annoying!  My only lifeline to the real world while locked up in the house.  

Signature_Line_V4

#9 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19628 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

Art, u are a master at these photog thingies. Close up images show the details in your image capturing. Hope all is well.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#10 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10310 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation (Airbus 3x series), nature, photography and travel

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:06 AM

Art, the situation in Toronto was shown on our morning news...

Hang in there & take care!

#11 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21074 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

Thanks PJ and Herman.

Here is my latest update…..

Went out to get breakfast and some of those burning logs so I could start up a quick fire in the fireplace.  It is a nice ragging fire so we are now comfortable. 

The house was 52F when we got up!  Toasty warm!!!  :wacko:   :lol:   Hey, we are comfy, lots of blankets, no sweat.  Takes more than a little storm to dampen our spirits. 

We are looking at PLAN B for Christmas….  We have a full fridge, no power…. and a Gobbler that may go uneaten!! The paper ran the headline, "Nightmare Before Christmas". Pretty close for many.

I have some pics I took this morning on my drive out for breakfast and to recharge the phone.  Phone is at 40% my PC at 31%.  PC will be problematic.  May have to drive somewhere to get it charged up again.

I will post periodically while I have power.

My area was hit the worst, according to the news.  Mostly due to dropped power lines from fallen trees.  I took some pics around the hood, will post them later.

Hope you guys are all well…. back soon….  :)

Just a quick snap of a tree that split in half, the other half went behind the fence towards the house… taken with my iPhone early this morning on my trip out for food and firewood.  Will post better images later...

Attached File  fallen-tree.jpg   721.65KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#12 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15194 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:20 PM

Be safe.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#13 Donna

Donna

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, reading, knitting, cooking/baking, exploration with my family..

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hope power is restored soon! Glad you are all safe.  Too bad you don't have a generator!

I'm shooting with the D7100 and D60 as my back up.

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tiffen UV Protector
Tiffen Circular Polarizer

#14 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21074 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

Thanks Donna, my mistake.  They won't catch me flat footed again….

Check this out….. (currently at my Mom's recharging.. she has power restored.  I may have to wait until FRIDAY!!!

This is my neighbourhood….

Attached File  Neighbours-Place.jpg   239.22KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Ice-Storm4.jpg   229.21KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Lake.jpg   217.54KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Lake-Vegetation.jpg   229.57KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Sumack.jpg   128.45KB   0 downloads

Here is a very novel way to cool your EMPTY!!

Attached File  Lowenbrau-on-Ice.jpg   218.78KB   0 downloads

Downed Power Line

Attached File  Tree.jpg   304.01KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

Signature_Line_V4

#15 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21074 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

Well, sadly, we are losing the battle to stay in the house. Weather dropping substantially, I will be shutting off the water tonight and draining the pipes. More roads are roped off than earlier today...all downed wires! I recharged all my devices, so I have some entertainment till tomorrow. Most likely sleep by the fireplace tonight, may have to leave tomorrow, running out of wood!
Signature_Line_V4

#16 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10310 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:47 AM

Our thoughts are with you Art & Family!

Herman & Bettie

#17 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8325 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:24 AM

Watertown NY was in line with that storm and they still have problem areas.  We were without power for 4 days once, but that was in September.  Keep safe, keep smiling and keep a camera working.  It will be a Merry Christmas for you where ever you are.

Cliff and Deb

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with

#18 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21074 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Thanks Cliff and Herman.

Here is the latest.

We are literally freezing.  I turned off the water.  I think we will be leaving the house today.  No point in staying any more.  I have run out of wood and there is no place to buy any, everyone is sold out.  I tried to drive out of the neighbourhood this morning… I am posting from  my office….. and I had to zig zag around the streets as more and more streets are being roped off with emergency tape as power lines continue to fall!

To make matters worse…. IT IS SNOWING!!  :lol:

What are you gonna do!  :D

Here was my morning:

Get up at 6:00 am

Start my SUV… it is a CUBE OF ICE …. 15 minutes later scrap the ice off so I could see

The SUV looked like a TANK with just vision slots in the strategic places.

Drove to my Mom's, she has power, put the SUV in the underground.

Showered, SUV thawed, drove to work

Here for a couple of hours to recharge the computers phone etc.  On the way here…. WOW!  I thought we were bad off.  Trees down everywhere!!  This was a really, really bad storm.  You don't really realize it till you see the damage.  The ice slightly north is double or triple what you see in the pictures I posted above.

For Christmas Eve, we are on plan B.  Wife is packing the food this morning and driving to a relative.  I think we may move into my Sisters House until this is over.  I have had enough of freezing and having no access to TV, warm food, etc.

So, that is the situation today.  For the next few hours, while I am at my desk, I will be online… nothing to do here.

Other than the inconvenience… We are GOOD here!  :)

Signature_Line_V4

#19 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10310 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for the update, Art.

Keep safe, keep smiling!

#20 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21074 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

Herman,

We are lucky, it could be worse.  But, this is the last time.  Should have bought a Generator in the summer.  This isn't happening to me again!  :rolleyes:

Signature_Line_V4

#21 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21074 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

A quick update for everyone who has followed this thread… we are at home, warm, safe and sound.  The house dropped down to 42F or about 6C and we abandoned ship.  I drained the pipes, anti-freezer our four bathrooms and we left…. couldn't stay ahead of the cold, regardless  of how much wood we burned.

Good news, they restored the power late in the day and we returned to sleep in our beds.  House is cozy again, thrown out a lot of food, but who cares, back to normal.

I will be posting more pictures here that I took with my D800 and my iPhone 5s just to give you a better picture of the devastation of this storm.  So many trees have been lost or damaged.  I have not heard of any deaths so far, very lucky.  Lots of people injured from Carbon monoxide poisoning from bringing in BBQ's and lighting them up INDOORS!!! 

People were desperate… especially when it his -17C!!  That was when we called it quits.

Time to start shopping for a NATURAL GAS generator!  Never going through this again if I can help it!!

Signature_Line_V4

#22 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6977 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

Glad to hear some normality being restored Art... take care.

Peter

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#23 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21074 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

Thanks Peter, nice to be back to normal.

Here are a few more images of various topics:

Our Fireplace, that in the end, couldn't keep up with the temperature drop.  I found out my neighbour, with a small generator, failed to keep up as well.  Many of the neighbours went to family or hotels.

Attached File  Fireplace.jpg   220.93KB   0 downloads

Some images from the streets around us:

Attached File  Downed-Tree.jpg   244KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Downed-Tree2.jpg   240.45KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Fallen-Pole.jpg   273.06KB   0 downloads

Shot from my deck in the backyard of ice covered vegetation….

Attached File  BackYard.jpg   285.85KB   0 downloads

Shots around the area:

Attached File  B1.jpg   308.48KB   0 downloads

Attached File  B2.jpg   260.93KB   0 downloads

Attached File  B3.jpg   149.89KB   0 downloads

Down by the Lake:

Attached File  Lake.jpg   213.49KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Lake1.jpg   201.25KB   0 downloads

Anyway, back to normal life, plan on heading out this weekend with my camera and a good friend to see if we can get some nice, winter nature shots at the Botanical Gardens in Burlington, Ontario.  Hopefully, we get some nice frozen tree shots as well.

Signature_Line_V4

#24 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7141 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

Hi Art, Great to hear that you and your family are back home and safe.
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#25 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8325 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

We had a big wind storm Labor Day 1998 that knocked  down a lot of trees and limbs.   We were without power for 5 days.  Since then there have been other storms but not the same results.  Two reasons.  Nature gleaned out a lot of the possible dangers and the power company sends crews to keep the overhangs abated.  Ends up being cheaper to stay ahead of the problem than to have to do the emergency repairs.

Cliff

Posted Image

Shooting with

#26 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5340 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:33 AM

Yikes!

Nothing like that here - yet - but I do look forward to some good thick snow....for photographic reason and to be out with the kids.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#27 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6688 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

Great news you are safe back home, and warmer!

And to think I was complaining about 109F at my location,

I also went home, not to heaters but to turn on the air conditioner to keep cool

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#28 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3387 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:34 AM

What an ordeal... I am sorry you had to go through all that. Get that generator. Mine are gasoline, never considered nat. gas.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#29 Waterfowler

Waterfowler

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3531 posts
  • Interests:Photography,Waterfowl, Snowboarding, Outdoors,Fishing

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Wow what a mess! Ice can make pretty pictures but it stinks when it knocks down trees and take out power.

Mark Shartle

D300,D40x, MB-D10
600mm AF-S II, 70-300mm VR,18-55mm, 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikon TC-14E II
Sigma 55-200mm, Sigma 8-16mm
Gizto 3541 XLS Tripod, Markins Q20 Ballhead
WH-200 Wimberley Head Version II
Wimberley Sidekick

Lightroom 3
Photoshop CS5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users