• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:05 AM

First of all I don't own or ever used a D2 or D2x, But its good to hear and see images from this killer camera. So let it be known that the D2 users are here hanging out on Planet Nikon. Let me hear ya!

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#2 fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:bamboo fly rods, photography, vintage sporting books (hunting and fishing), Parker shotguns, pipes, my Weimaraner Levi, telescopes and spending time at my camp in the White Mountain National Forest region.

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

Yo.... working it BOSS........ :lol:

First of all I don't own or ever used a D2 or D2x, But its good to hear and see images from this killer camera. So let it be known that the D2 users are here hanging out on Planet Nikon.

Let me hear ya!

banjo
Fly fishing is my Quisisana (it's Italian for a place where one heals oneself)
Fly fishers are welcome to visit my website:
Fishnbanjos Place

P&S
AGFA 1680 Ltd
Lumix FZ100
dSLR's
Nikon D3,Nikon D3x
lenses
Sigma 12-24 EX HSM f/4.5-5.6,17-35 2.8 AF-S ED IF,24-70 f2.8G AF-S ED,28-105 f/3.5-4.5 AF-D with macro,70-200 D AF-S ED VR f2.8,Sigma APO 50-500 f4-6.3 EX DG,Zeiss Distagon T* 25 f/2.8 ZF,Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm f/2 ZF.2,Voigtlander Ultron SL 40mm f/2,Zeiss Planar T* 50 f/1.4 ZF,Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZF.2,200 f2G ED-IF AF-S VR w/HK-30 Hood
Gear
TC 1.4E II,TC 1.7 E II,SB-800,Al Jacobs Tuxedo Battery Pack w/adapter for SB-800,SB-900,Manfrotto 3251 Pro,Novoflex Classic Ball 3,Novoflex Q-Base,Novoflex Quickmount window ballhead,Manfrotto 682 B Pro Monopod with legs x2,Kirk BH3 ballhead,ACRATECH Ultimate Ballhead,Nikon DR-3,Nikon AH-4 hand grip,Action Diamondback Rattlesnake Custom Strap,Think Tank Glass Taxi,Sunpak C-PL 62 circular polarizer,B&W 77 Cross Screen 4x, 77 FL-D, 77 EW POL and 77 E Circular POL,Singh Ray Gold-N-Blue Polarizer 77,Canon UV Haze 77 Filter,Nikon C-PL3L drop in circular polarizer
Leica M8 Rangefinder
lenses
Leica Elmarit 28 f/2.8,Leica Elmarit-M 90 f/2.8,Leica Summicron-M 35 f/2,Voigtlander Ultron SL 40 f/2 with Voigtlander close up lens
Gear
Visoflex III complete,Luigi Leather half case with Luigi Classic Strap and SD/Battery Case

#3 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4447 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:08 PM

Here, here! I bought my D2h as a second body after my D100 to enable me to meter with all my old manual Nikon lenses. Didn't take long for it to become my primary camera...just love the fit and feel of the large body and 8 FPS has saved my bacon a time or two. The D2x was for a long time my dream camera... Still torn between lusting after a 2x or a D300. The D2x is laid out just like my 2h, so the transition would be simpler. J
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects
Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photography Instruction

Website / Blog / Portfolio: www.jonhaverstickstudio.com
Email: jon@jonhaverstickstudio.com

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

Professional Memberships:
  • NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
  • WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International)
  • SPS (Student Photographic Society): Educator
  • Nikon Professional Services

#4 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:13 AM

Thanks for your replies. During my WWW travels, I see a lot of great work still coming from these cameras and their owners. Most of the time, I just look on PlanetNikon and get impressed. :)

PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#5 Neil Rothschild

Neil Rothschild

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife and action, nature, macro, general photography. I try to mix it up.

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:45 PM

My body evolution was D70-->D2H-->D200-->D300. I have the last 3; my daughter has the D70. I have a certain rare use for 3 bodies but for the most part 2 bodies will do. I'm not sure where the D2H will fit into that. My D300 has a grip, which will almost always be attached, for 8fps shooting. The D200 serves well as a 2nd body and is reasonably lightweight. My biggest issue with the D2H, oddly enough, is that its raw files contain a small jpg preview. My work flow is such that a full size JPG is very important to me. That means I either have to use an old version of Nikon Transfer and shoot raw+jpg (that Transfer will merge the JPG into the raw) or I have to do a Save as in NX for all my images, which can be a huge issue if I come home with a thousand images. This came to a head when I upgraded to a Vista machine and found that that version of Transfer simply does not work in Vista. I considered D2X vs D300 too. I went with the D300 because... 1) The D2H (and D2X) doesn't have enough focus points, and they are too big, which is not an advantage with many of my difficult moving subjects. I think the D300 may be better able to maintain focus on difficult moving subjects, in particular where there is a high contrast background (the most difficult situation I encounter and I encounter that frequently). The D300 seems to have less of a tendency to grab the background, which was a huge problem with the D2H. The D2H may be a tad better at maintaining focus once it is locked on. The D2H may be a tad faster acquiring initial focus. My comments comparing AF, though are just very tentative conclusions based on too little shooting with the D300. I'll have a better feel for that after we get into the winter bird migration season and I get some serious birding done. 2) Most importantly I would really like to have a D3/D700 for the best low light performance I can get. The stop or so extra improvement I see over the D2H/D200 is a good price/pixel density/performance compromise. In the short time I have had the D300 I have gotten some nice ISO 1600 shots I would not have gotten with the other bodies. 3) I think live view may help me with some specialty shooting such as my lunar imaging but that is not a big issue because I'm not sure yet if it is going to actually add value to those applications (this is a very minor point not worth making a body decision for me, just a bonus) Advantages of the D2 include the great ergos and the integrated grip. Although the D300 add-on grip is pretty good, it does affect images shot at critical shutter speeds at long focal lengths; just something to watch for and factor into the decision to use mirror delay. I also like the back LCD screen. I don;t like the lack of a bracketing button on the D300; I don't agree with the changes made to that control dial but who am I to criticize :lol:. I'm sure there are more comprehensive lists of differences floating around the net; I think Thom Hogan went into this in great detail. The above is just the hot points for me. I've only had the D300 for a month or so. It will take a full year, I think, to really figure out what body I need in each situation. For now it's interesting to have the options when I am in a position to haul all 3 bodies around. Tough choice Jon; it really depends on your priorities and subject, which I think are very different than mine. I doubt, for example, that the 51 pt AF would be a big issue with most of your work, from what I have seen. So, depending on your need for low light performance, the ergos are probably a bigger decision point. The D2H/D2X are wonderful bodies and a joy to control. If I had a D2Hs I would be even happier with my D2H because then I would have 3 channel histograms (which I think are very important and very missing from my D2H). I would also have better low light performance, based on what I have read on the net. If I decide that the D2H has a big role, it might almost be worthwhile to sell the D2H and buy a D2Hs, which probably wouldn't cost much since I don;t think there is a huge premium on the s models- they are both dog meat on the used market. For you, you would get the s version of the D2X so it isn't an issue (solving the histogram problem but I don't think that would help low noise performance?). Actually, I think the D2X had a firmware upgrade adding 3 channel histos, which Nikon elected not to do with the D2H (and that always bothered me greatly given the cost of the body, treated like a step-child). Neil

#6 Adri H

Adri H

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Women, Mountainbiking, Photography, Wolves and any combination thereoff.

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:27 AM

I'm here, for the briefness of this moment.. Still loving my D2X and some great Nikon primes :)
Nikon EM - F801S - D2X and some fast Nikkors

#7 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:08 AM

Viewing photo want ads or bugging my photo store bud about sales of the D2x, there are none. Owners of these cameras have the same feelings I have towards my D50....Never gonna sell it.... :rolleyes:

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#8 Luis V.

Luis V.

Planet Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1813 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:55 PM

I've had the D2X well over four years now. I have not seen the counter in some time but it's up there. I still love it and have been toying back and forth between the D3 and D3X but have yet to pull the trigger. Main reason is, that for my work, primarily at ISO 100, I simply love the body. Sure the D3 series is the same body...... and there are two big factors pushing me.... higher ISO, ambient light potential and the resolution (in the case of the 3X).... but in the end, the D2X is producing awesome images that I easily take up to huge prints. The other thing is that the revenue I am seeing is going straight to the bottom line. I do see the need for the D3X, and can justify the move, but right now, I rather pocket more. I may even be so bold as to skip a generation. But in any event........ I am here........ still shooting..... still perfect for me.
Luis V.Nikon D800/D2X/D200/D100Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 AFS | 24-70mm f/2.8 AFS | 70-200mm f/2.8 AFS VR-II | 200-400mm f/4 AFS | 50mm f/1.4D | 85mm f/1.4D | 105mm f/2.8 Macro

#9 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3520 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:06 PM

Still lovin' mine too. Here's recent picture with it: I'll never sell mine. At 100 ISO it creates noiseless images of great quality. 33K images and still going strong.
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#10 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4447 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:08 PM

I bought a used D2x in February, and never looked back! I feel bad for my D2h, for while they're both in my bag, the 2h doesn't get used much any more. The 2x is a phenomenal machine, and does everything I need it to do, and quite nicely at that. My next body will be a full frame model, but I'm in no hurry with the D2x in my arsenal. J
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects
Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photography Instruction

Website / Blog / Portfolio: www.jonhaverstickstudio.com
Email: jon@jonhaverstickstudio.com

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

Professional Memberships:
  • NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
  • WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International)
  • SPS (Student Photographic Society): Educator
  • Nikon Professional Services

#11 Van Hilliard

Van Hilliard

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Nature photography, sports including bicycling, hammer and heavy weight throw, music

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:36 AM

I still have and use my D2X and it's still one of my primary cameras. I recently purchased a D300s, which I like a lot but I love the feel of those pro-level bodies. I too am considering skipping a generation -- although I am mightily tempted by the D3s.

#12 biblunny

biblunny

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:42 PM

Attached File  crl001.JPG   580.9KB   0 downloads

I still have and use my D2X and it's still one of my primary cameras. I recently purchased a D300s, which I like a lot but I love the feel of those pro-level bodies. I too am considering skipping a generation -- although I am mightily tempted by the D3s.

My D2h is now my second body behind my D300 with grip, but still used every week, shutter count is at almost 119000 and still going strong, would love a D3 but its still too expensive, Here is a pic from yesterday from the old warhorse D2H
Nikon d300, Nikon d300 battery Grip, Nikon d2h, Nikon d50, Pentax ME-Super

Nikon 50mm f1.8, Nikon 18-55, Nikon 55-200

Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8

Sigma 1.4 T/C

Nikon SB-800

Phottix Cleon 11 wireless remote

#13 wapiti

wapiti

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Disney<br />Wildlife<br />Travel

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:46 AM

I have a D2hs and a D2x, which was purchased used as is much of my equipment. They are both used,primarily, for wildlife. If I am shooting landscapes, I will use the D2x exclusively. I have found my D2x to be quite noisy at ISO 400 and above. Consider, however, that much of my wildlife photographs are taken at very low light. I use the high speed crop frequently, which was one of the main reasons for this purchase. I am very satisfied with my D2hs.
Bill in Ausin
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it"

#14 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3520 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

You know what. I sold my D300 to a friend who had a D200 and wanted to upgrade. I was going to use the money as half of the cost of a new D300sc since I am going to write a book on it starting next month. (Update to Mastering the Nikon D300). However, my wife convinced me that spending the money on a house payment was wiser than buying a D300s, and since Nikon is sending me a sample D300s, I have decided to wait on further camera purchases. I am now using my D2x as the primary camera, and carrying my tiny D40x with me everywhere I go. The next Nikon body I buy will be an FX type (D3x???), so until then my main camera will be the D2x. Here's why:
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#15 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:30 AM

Makes financial sense to me DD. FX, DX, D400xc u are "Da Man" and can make great capture with any camera.

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#16 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4310 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:40 AM

You know what. I sold my D300 to a friend who had a D200 and wanted to upgrade. I was going to use the money as half of the cost of a new D300sc since I am going to write a book on it starting next month. (Update to Mastering the Nikon D300).

However, my wife convinced me that spending the money on a house payment was wiser than buying a D300s, and since Nikon is sending me a sample D300s, I have decided to wait on further camera purchases. I am now using my D2x as the primary camera, and carrying my tiny D40x with me everywhere I go.

The next Nikon body I buy will be an FX type (D3x???), so until then my main camera will be the D2x. Here's why:

Beautiful shot Darrell. I'm currently lusting after a D3s. Night shooters like me can't get enough speed.

Don
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#17 José

José

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Computers, and Music

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

...The next Nikon body I buy will be an FX type (D3x???), so until then my main camera will be the D2x. Here's why...

That is a beautiful picture Darrell. I love the color in it and also the composition your chose. Thanks for sharing it with me.
José

”There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”
- Ansel Adams

#18 markus5

markus5

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:52 AM

I use my d2x every day I love the 400-1600 "noise" - I used Tri-x processed in HC110 many years ago also high speed Ektachrome, Now photographers who only know digital seem to be obsessed with low noise. The D2x CMOS looks good to me at high speeds! It also looks fantastic at 100-200 - I won't be upgrading any time soon Love to all

#19 Metal Mariachi

Metal Mariachi

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

I got my D2x in May. The more I use it the more I like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users