• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Drgsin

Drgsin

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:My family, photgraphy, and anything having to do with motorcycles.

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:03 AM

Has anyone thats on a waiting list for the D3 heard anything? The anticipation for this thing is killing me. Ive called my local place and they havent heard of anything yet-which sux.

#2 James_Karney

James_Karney

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:13 AM

Has anyone thats on a waiting list for the D3 heard anything? The anticipation for this thing is killing me. Ive called my local place and they havent heard of anything yet-which sux.

If the way the D300 was released is any indicator, the day Nikon sends the cameras to the stors, they will email the NPS members on the priority list that the camera is on the way. My email came of Tuesday of last week and the store had it on Weds. It was in my hands first thing FRiday morning (the holiday delayed UPS).

Good luck, wish a D3 was on its way here. The D300 is fantasic

PS-the MB-10 battery pack is due to arrice today:)

#3 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:19 AM

Other forums are reporting that some have gotten calls or received their D3s.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#4 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7117 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:48 PM

They are on the shelves in NZ guys ... I went back to Photo & Video ( http://www.photo.co.nz/ ) again today to see if the D3 and D300 demo models had arrived (they hadn't) BUT there on the shelf in the Nikon display case was a real production D3, one of the sales persons there rushed over to fend me off (he was just kidding really). I wasn't allowed to hold it though .... the new owner was rushing in to the store to collect it. Oh well next time :( Peter
p.s. check the site (Photo & Video) they have a brand spanking new F80 for sale (found it hidden at the back of the store room)

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#5 TheRasmuss

TheRasmuss

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:57 AM

Nope havent heard a peep yet. My local pro dealer is clueless to when the cameras will be here, I'm calling Nikon on monday as the wait is truely killing me :(

#6 TheRasmuss

TheRasmuss

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:02 PM

Had a pep talk with Nikon today, seems cameras are slowly coming out.. They still couldn't give me a date as to when I will get it. They said sooner rather then later.

#7 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7117 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:19 PM

They will be slow coming here too Rasmuss , I was talking to a friendly camera shop guy at lunch time today apparently New Zealand got 12 D3 s for the first shipment... well thats not as bad as the supply of that other brands 1Ds mk3 only 4 for the whole country in the first shipment. See Ken Rockwell now has his D3 to go with his D300 and is busy doing comparisons with them and his D200 and 5D... as expected the D3 blows the 5D out of the water for ISO performance and sharpness ! Peter :)

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#8 Drgsin

Drgsin

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:56 PM

12 D3s for the whole country?? Man! Im still impatiently waiting. I was told Id have it by mid Dec. I REALLY need to get some connections!

#9 TheRasmuss

TheRasmuss

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:39 PM

Nikon Norway got 20 or so, Japan Photo norway got 40, go figure. I finally got mine today, but thats no thanks to Nikon, nps or my local pro shop.

#10 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2761 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything as long as it's outside.

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:27 PM

See Ken Rockwell now has his D3 to go with his D300 and is busy doing comparisons with them and his D200 and 5D... as expected the D3 blows the 5D out of the water for ISO performance and sharpness !

Peter :)

Dave W., don't go to Ken's sight to see this comapaison. D200 is clearly the worst of the lot when it was compared against the canons and a token d40. Even the D40's images looked the same or better. Can't wait to see the "shootout" he has planned with the d200/300/3. How much of the difference is software and how much is hardware? Can the d200's software (firmware or whatever) be upgraded any? I hope to at least see a D3 someday. I'm not sure they are even letting us snap shooters see the box of a D3 here in Houston..

Edited by Arlon, 06 December 2007 - 02:31 PM.

D50, D90, D100 IR, D700, D800E and a bunch of old manual lenses..
D70 IR (stolen), D200 (stolen)

#11 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:03 PM

Hi Arlon,

I am just looking at Ken's site as I write this and keep switching backwards and forwards.

http://kenrockwell.c...07-11/index.htm

As to colour rendition I would never trust Ken's opinion on this, or white balance. He likes his colours so unnatural and garish I think his previous job must have been painting fairground rides! An easy way to assess Caucasian face colour on screen in daylight is if you are an average Caucasian skin to just hold your hand near their face and the colour should more or less match. Many people have it far too pinkish or brownish.

Now to Ken's comparisons. To me at ISO 100 the D200 is very slightly sharper than the D300, but I wonder if there is any focusing error here. I hope he has used manual screen focusing for the test and not autofocus or handholding the cameras. This is close-up work so how you spread the depth of field over the subject will have a bearing on apparent sharpness The Canon beats both Nikon's for sharpness in that test.

ISO 200, the D300 is slightly sharper than the D200. The D40 beats the D300 and the Canon beats them both again.

ISO 400, same order again

ISO 800, same order again, but what is noticeable is the D300 image is not that great an advance over the D200

ISO 1600, same order again, but not much between the D200 and D300, but the D200 image is noisier. What is surprising is the D40 image is now the noisiest of the lot, yet it has a lower pixel density than the other two Nikon's

ISO 3200, The D200 matches the D300 for sharpness, but is noisier. However the Canon is now noisier than both the previous Nikon's, but the D40 is the noisiest

ISO 6400, the pictures are now starting to go completely haywire with the D200 developing some weird black patches, but cameras still in the same order for noise

Rockwell makes the remarks:-

"The D200 has a little more noise than the D300, but the D200 is also sharper. The only difference between them is how much noise reduction is used in the cameras' firmware. Change the camera defaults or add more as a Photoshop plugin, and you can make them match"

"Sadly the D300 doesn't really shoot at ISO 100 if you use Auto ISO and Nikon's Adaptive Dynamic Range (ADR) feature as I do. Since the D300 defaults to ISO 200 mostly as a marketing gimmick, my D300 shots at ISO 200 in daylight have a small amount of visible noise at 100%, which I've never gotten in my D200 (or 5D) shots at ISO 100."

"All the DX Nikon's are about the same. There is more variation from one speed to the next, or in the camera's use of noise reduction which you can do later in software, than there is from any DX Nikon to the next. The D300 has the least noise of the Nikon's at high ISOs, but that's because it's also FUBARing (blurring) the image almost to beyond all recognition at high ISOs just to smother the noise."

The Canon of course is a full frame sensor and has less pixel density than the Nikon's it is tested against so should have better resolution and noise levels. What is surprising is it looses out to the Nikon's at high ISO's for noise, but as Rockwell points out that can be due to more default in camera noise suppression in the Nikon's, which does destroy sharpness, something that is apparent in the tests.

Of course we should be viewing the results on prints to really see the differences, because a computer monitor screen can show no more resolution than 2 Megapixel camera can produce. Also in all these tests only one camera or lens is used, so variations in equipment within the same model are never taken into account. That is why you will get one reviewer praising a lens to the skies and another being disappointed with it, cameras too.

None the less, very interesting comparisons, but not enough of an advance for me to justify the cost of changing my D200 to a D300, or a Canon 5D.

Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#12 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2761 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything as long as it's outside.

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:35 PM

Agree. I think I'll keep my d200 and look for another D50.. Sounds like the D3 is in a league of it's own though. That must give you goose bumbs handling one. drqsin, I hope you survive the anxiety. If I had one of those on the way I'd be climbing the walls for sure.
D50, D90, D100 IR, D700, D800E and a bunch of old manual lenses..
D70 IR (stolen), D200 (stolen)

#13 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:32 PM

The D3 of course is getting it's improved noise and speed performance from a larger sensor with less pixel density. It is really a D2H replacement, not a replacement for the D2X. No doubt the "D3X" will have more Megapixels, so a greater pixel density to match Canon's top of the range, and no doubt more noise than the D3 as a consequence, plus maybe not as fast a motordrive as the D3 unless it can handle the much larger image files just as quick. I would have thought Arlon the D50's sensor was pretty well similar to the D40's, so the results would be similar to Ken Rockwell's test on the D40? Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200

#14 Drgsin

Drgsin

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:15 PM

"None the less, very interesting comparisons, but not enough of an advance for me to justify the cost of changing my D200 to a D300, or a Canon 5D." Somehow I knew that answer before Rockwell's piece, Dave...LOL

#15 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:16 AM

Replacing a 1200 camera every two years takes some justifying for any amateur, particularly unless there is a mega-leap in image quality. Maybe I will have to wait for the D400 or even D500 to be worth it, if I am still around by then! But the high resolution sensored video cameras may have taken over by then and replaced still cameras, with just individual frames extracted for stills. Sort of constant motordrive photography and you just pick the best shot out of the sequence. Leaning into the shots in macro and just extracting the shot that hits perfect focus as you pass through that point! One can but dream! Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200

#16 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8358 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:32 AM

Dave, Stills from video, that's "chimping" at an extreme. I do stills from video now and they have a long way to go before that becomes a competitive reality. I just looked at my cousin's daughter's wedding proofs. 520 shots from two photographers and they posted them all!! A good quarter of them should never have made it to the site. Can you image if they had video to pick from? ODNT
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#17 Drgsin

Drgsin

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:10 AM

Its 2am and I cant sleep. Supposedly in about 8-10 hrs I should have a D3 in my grubby lil fingers. Wish me luck guys...LOL

#18 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:36 AM

Good luck and have fun ... post em when you have time! :rolleyes:

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#19 Drgsin

Drgsin

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:32 AM

GOT IT! Havent been this excited since the birth of my last son...Something is def wrong with me. Is there therapy for this sort of thing? LOL Attached File  D3.jpg   364.52KB   15 downloads

Edited by Drgsin, 14 December 2007 - 11:10 AM.

#20 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8358 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:08 AM

Sorry Drgsin, NAS is a terminal affliction. Sympton's include fixation of your vision when looking at Nikon ads in Shutterbug, cold sweats when reading reviews of the latest products, feverish rantings at the release of new generation cameras and an uncontrolable palsy in anticipation of the delivery of any item labeled Nikon. Upon collection of your latest Nikon acquistion there is a euphoria unmatched by most things known to man, however this does wane over time and the need for a NAS fix returns. NAS becomes terminal in a number of different forms; 1- Your significant other becomes jealous of your attachment to your collection and beats you bloody with a tripod. 2- Same partner gets bank statements and sees how much is being spent on your "other mistress (Nikon)" and attaches the tripod to you in a rather undignified manner. 3- You become so laden down with Nikon gear that you can't cross the street fast enough and a cabbie runs you over. (or for those of us in the country, you can't get away from the bear you were photographing) 4- In the case of a special acquistion (like a D-3 or D-300) you become so involved in "learning" the new toy that you forget to eat for several days. We at PN participate in group therapy. We remind you to send her flowers, the grow your collecton slowly so that she doesn't notice, and in your case to have a meal each day. Good luck with your new camera, look forward to seeing some great basketball shots. ODNT
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with

#21 Drgsin

Drgsin

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

LOLOLOLOL...I love it! There is someone out there that understands!

#22 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8358 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:49 AM

Now if I could find one to marry, but then I couldn't afford to support another woman and my habit. I may not be as skilled with the camera, but at least I can keep things light and interesting. ODNT
Posted Image

Shooting with

#23 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:03 PM

I see it even gets to sleep on silk sheets! :( Dave Whiteley :huh:
Nikon D200

#24 Drgsin

Drgsin

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:00 PM

LOL!! Sure thing..Had my wife lay out the 300 thread counts-straight from Persia! LOL Which reminds me...my wife's goin to be cold sleeping down in the basement. I better get those blnakets out of the closet for her.

#25 Drgsin

Drgsin

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:01 PM

ODNT-"I may not be as skilled with the camera, but at least I can keep things light and interesting."

Youve got me rolling, cracking up right now...Either youre REALLY funny or Im just giddy as heck!

Esp this line! "Same partner gets bank statements and sees how much is being spent on your "other mistress (Nikon)" Im not one to sneak around without my wife knowing-I keep my affairs out of the closet.

Edited by Drgsin, 14 December 2007 - 02:05 PM.

#26 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8358 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:35 PM

It's always wise to let her know what you are up to or it will lead the the misplacement of the Tripod. I would probably be a writer for a comedian rather than the comic myself. I'm not always "quick'. Sometimes I have to refine the idea a couple of times. Kinda like PP in PS. I grab and idea and then have to work it over. ODNT
Posted Image

Shooting with

#27 Drgsin

Drgsin

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:38 PM

Dont sell your talent short, my friend. The cogs upsatirs are clicking and theyre putting out some good materisl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users