16 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3520 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:48 AM

Well, I cleaned out the money from all my stock sites and gave it to Digital Brenda. Immediately after that, the one I must obey gave me permission to start saving for a D3. Another requirement she has laid on me is that I must get a job. :lol:

But, I must ask you, what is the point of getting a job, when one owns a D3? Has one not reached a great pinnacle in life when one has achieved that level of status and picture taking power? Why ... having a job would waste time one could be using the D3 to take amazing images, with no noise. :angry:

However, I guess I'll need to buy larger hard drives, and many more 16-gig storage cards. So, I guess I'll go ahead and find a few clients. Only thing is, I must give all that money to Digital Brenda too. You see, she charges me about $85,000 USD per year to live with her. She wanted this new house built back about five years ago, and so I built it. She wanted a D200, so I bought it for her. She wanted a D40, so I bought it for her (but I then got to keep the D200). She gets all my money, but she's worth it!

But, she has agreed that whatever money I can scrape together from stock sales is mine (yay), so now I can start saving for my D3. :D
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#2 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:32 AM

Give that lady anything she wants...DB deserves it.. :) I am saving all my beer drinking $$$ for the D300.....Yeah...OOps don't let DA 50 hear this... :D

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#3 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:41 AM

Evidently according to one of your citizens this morning on the BBC you all have to save more and stop running expensive women Darrell. Better still send the women out to work to keep you, as is common in Europe! :lol: If we are out of work we don't buy luxury items until in work again, particularly if the item only replaces one we have still working.

This is according to one of your US financial experts on BBC radio this morning saying the US housing crisis has been caused by US citizens overspending. He said we Brits and other foreigners should be very woried because it is our savings US citizens have been spending. The American boom is being kept going on foreign money, not US citizens savings, and this was being spent on houses and cars and a fancy life style, not being invested in industry and infrastructure so you could expand production and repay your foreign debts. He claimed that bubble would eventually burst, lowering the average Americans standard of living quite considerably because US taxation would inevitably have to rise until you all learnt to cut spending and save again, so use American money.

Not my words, or that of a European but a US Financial Expert, I am just passing on the gist of his interview! I have an interest in what happens in the US as about 2/5ths of my life savings are invested in US firms! Where are all US citizens savings invested abroad?

See:-

http://seekingalpha....savings-falling

Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#4 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23710 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:46 AM

Me, I have already arranged my finances and money every payday is going in the D300 fund yea I realistically will have enough around December or January!! :) :D Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#5 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:31 PM

I just started..balance = 27 US Cent!.. :unsure:

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#6 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:23 PM

I am happily receiving donations towards my D300 fund. PM me and I'll give you my PayPal details so that you can help the fund to grow. B)
Who we are, shapes what we see ~ Chris Orwig

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#7 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8358 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:50 PM

While it is great to have the latest and greatest, I am not just at the level of my game to play in the big leagues. Still AAA ball. So with that I tend to be a generation back. When I was finally ready (and had convinced HER) to buy a digital, the S5 was hitting the market. I had used an S2, liked it, but considered the age of most of the ones out there to be too close to retirement. The S5 brought some nice S3s to the market. While my current goal is glass, ( I am thinking about the 24-120 VR) I might entertain a D200, if I can get ahead enough. So for those of you who may be contemplating the move up, there are laggers like myself are a looking upward as well. ODNT
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#8 TheRasmuss

TheRasmuss

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:22 AM

This is good times for people wanting to trade up, D2X(s) prices are dropping, D2H is so low its not even funny anymore, D200 are dropping, 17-35, 28-70, and 500's are hitting the market. all in all good times for people that want exelent equipment, I'm getting the D3 to replace my malfunctioning D2h, but i'm waiting 2-3 months if I can. Norwegian D3 price is almost $ 8000 USD atm :angry: , Price will drop after x-mas or so.

#9 Rick Paul

Rick Paul

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:07 PM

My stock income is not yet to the point where it will significantly contribute to a D3, but it's getting there. My plan is but a D3 by next August. I'm going to start trying to put away $200-$300 a month for the next 11 months, which should get me most of the way there without running up a credit card. I get bonus's from work every once in a while, so I'll throw those at the fund, too. Generally if I'm able to save about 2/3rd of the cost, the Boss will let me go ahead and get it. But my brain is locked on D3 fever. NAS is fully engaged...

Visit me on Facebook and Twitter!

#10 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3032 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography! Graphic Design! Print Media! Displays and Exhibits! Signage! 865.310.9040

Posted 23 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

Like you, Rick, I too am terminally DAS-infected. I have convinced myself I can afford it - it's a business expense, and the sale of the D200 will offset at least half of it - all good reasons. I only run one camera at a time (although I will scoop up a D40 when they get under $300 for backup) and am moving toward pro glass as a primary goal. Dave, I feel for you Europeans with your VAT and all - I know we've got it made with a tax-free eBay economy here and if I were in your shoes I'd be dead from NAS already. My liquid assets are sufficient to keep me going and I have invested heavily in international equity stocks (which are heavily dependent on U.S. consumers), so let's all keep spending wildly and save voraciously and everyone can buy a new Nikon! Mule
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

DSLRs Nikon D300 w/ MB-D10 | Nikon D40
DX Optics 10.5/2.8 DX Fisheye | 16-85/3.5-5.6 VR DX Nikkor
FX Optics 14-24/2.8 Nikkor | 24-120/3.5-5.6 VR Nikkor | 70-200/2.8 VR Nikkor | 85/1.4 Rokinon | 50/1.8 AIS Nikkor | 55/2.8 1:1 Vivitar Macro | Kenko 1.4X TC
Support Bogen 3221 w/ Markins M20 & RRS B2 LR II| Bogen 681B Monopod/Gtai Ballhead | Induro C014 CF/Gtai Ballhead | Nodal Ninja 180 Pano Head
Software Adobe Lightroom | Adobe Photoshop CS | Nikon Capture NX | Photomatix HDR
Lighting (2) Nikon SB-800 | (4) Sunpak 422/433 | (2) Lester Dine Ringlights

#11 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:58 PM

Thing about VAT etc Mule is it helps pay for our Health Service and State Pensions amongst other things, so we do not need to pay for medical insurance, or even private pensions if we do not want. You still wind up paying for these one way or another, whether they are deducted in taxation or voluntary contributions. That said most countries now take far too much in taxation in order to subsidise things like the arts, Olympics etc that ought to be self funding from takings at the door. These are very much non essentials which If the public want they will pay the entry charge, if not in a democracy it's their right not to subsidise them! Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#12 Drgsin

Drgsin

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:My family, photgraphy, and anything having to do with motorcycles.

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:36 PM

Only thing is, I must give all that money to Digital Brenda too. You see, she charges me about $85,000 USD per year to live with her. She wanted this new house built back about five years ago, and so I built it. She wanted a D200, so I bought it for her. She wanted a D40, so I bought it for her (but I then got to keep the D200). She gets all my money...

HUH??? Ok, Ill behave since Im new here but one comment...Looks to me like you tried saving money on an agent at the time of the contract negotiations! :D

#13 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3520 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:50 PM

Some have wondered why I would want a D3 after my article proclaiming my deep and abiding love of DX sensors. Let me clear something up!

The primary objection I had to the full-frame sensor was the light falloff on the edges of the frame. Here is an example:

http://www.the-digit...Vignetting.aspx

Now, Nikon has come out with a FF sensor too. Fortunately for Nikon users, they created the FX sensor with a "gapless" microprism system on top of the sensor that promises to alleviate the light falloff issues. We'll see if it really works in practice when D3s start hitting the store shelves.

My major interest in the D3 is NOT the FF sensor. I like a DX sensor just fine. What I want from the D3 is the incredible postprocessing built right into the camera's software. They claim that the noise we have all come to hate will not show its ugly head any longer. In fact, Nikon claims usable ISO ratings above 25000!

As a stock shooter, I am constantly battling noise in my images. I always need greater dynamic range too. My greatest interest in the D3 (or the D3X) will be much less noise, and significantly greater light range. As far as the FX sensor, well, I really could care less about it. I wrote a new article recently about the differences in the FX and DX sensors. It explains that the DX sensor is NOT a crop of a FF sensor, but actually is a different format entirely. Here's the article:

Which is Better a FF or DX sensor?
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#14 TheRasmuss

TheRasmuss

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:21 AM

One of the things I'm looking forward to is the FX sensor, I love wide-angle lenses, and finally my 17-35 is that.. 17-35 and not 25.5-52.5mm This goes for most of my lenses, I find my 55mm f/1.2 not wery usefull on a DX camera, as I'm not a portrait shooter. I would not have upgraded if the D3 was another D2X type camera, as going beyond 12MP is not something I need. My D2H files was more then enough for me. 90% of the prints I sell is from the D2H printed on 13x19in Velvet fine art paper, 18% is from the D1X and about 2% from the D200, so MP is not that important to me.

#15 Rick Paul

Rick Paul

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:27 AM

Hasn't been an update to this thread in a while, so I'll thow in my update. I'm on the waiting list at Berger Brothers for a D3, with a target date of March or April at the latest. I'm about half-way saved for the D3, and should be all way there by March. I'm upgrading from a D200, so why go for the D3 rather than the D300? Well, like Darrell, I'm constantly battling noise. I'm looking forward the flexibility of using ISO as another independent variable, along with shutter speed and aperture. Being able to shoot high shutter speed with small aperture in low light, will be a dream come true! Since I'm not a full-time professional, just a fledgling part-timer, the D3 is a big investment. But even my wife agrees the D3 is a good investment to take me where I want to do. And I'll still have my trusty D200 as backup! So what's Darrell's status? Still saving for a D3???

Visit me on Facebook and Twitter!

#16 Kurt

Kurt

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Reef Keeping, Sports

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:43 AM

I think if the USA quit forgiving other countries debts and used the funds to pay off our own we would be fine... Hey Darrell, hows the balance on the D3 account going?

#17 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:48 AM

Evidently according to one of your citizens this morning on the BBC you all have to save more and stop running expensive women Darrell. Better still send the women out to work to keep you, as is common in Europe! :lol: If we are out of work we don't buy luxury items until in work again, particularly if the item only replaces one we have still working.

This is according to one of your US financial experts on BBC radio this morning saying the US housing crisis has been caused by US citizens overspending. He said we Brits and other foreigners should be very woried because it is our savings US citizens have been spending. The American boom is being kept going on foreign money, not US citizens savings, and this was being spent on houses and cars and a fancy life style, not being invested in industry and infrastructure so you could expand production and repay your foreign debts. He claimed that bubble would eventually burst, lowering the average Americans standard of living quite considerably because US taxation would inevitably have to rise until you all learnt to cut spending and save again, so use American money.

Not my words, or that of a European but a US Financial Expert, I am just passing on the gist of his interview! I have an interest in what happens in the US as about 2/5ths of my life savings are invested in US firms! Where are all US citizens savings invested abroad?

See:-

http://seekingalpha....savings-falling

Dave Whiteley

This is so right Dave. I was raised by parents who suffered through the depression and was taught to save. This nation has forgotten how to do that, plus buying on credit is common place. If I can't pay for it, let it go back--amazingly this doesn't damage their credit to the point that they cannot buy on credit again. There is so much Saudi and Chinese money in this country that even persons with poor minus credit can get a loan. It may be at a higher interest rate but they don't care because they don't intend to pay the item off anyway. What is to follow is a true story.

A neighbor's grand-daughter changes cars (used cars) like I change my socks. She "buys" a car with the intention of never paying for it. She makes a couple of monthly payments, then stops. She knows it will take the "dealership" six months to process the paper work to actually take the vehicle back. Here is the "kicker" the "punch line", she is so confident that this is will be the case that SHE NEVER BUYS TAG for the car but uses the "dealer tag".

The prevailing sentiment in this country is: I don't have to pay for it, some one will bail me out and the best example of this attitude is our Government.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users