• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

All things considered has anyone used a D3x for fast action? If so how did it do? Or would the D3s have an advantage speed - wise over the D3x?

I really like the idea tht a D3x is a 24MP body so I think it would be a great camera to look at. Also wondering which is better in low light?
SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#2 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10374 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:21 PM

Here's some info to get you going...

Link: https://photographyl...ikon-d3s-vs-d3x

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#3 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3401 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:41 PM

Herman's post tells the story. I have friends who use the D3s and love it. They are mostly press shooters and use it for photojournalism...that includes sports.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#4 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:58 PM

Here's some info to get you going...

Link: https://photographyl...ikon-d3s-vs-d3x

Neat info Herman. Many thanks for the research! :) 

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#5 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything that´s fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:12 AM

Greg - the D3X is (in regards to the intended purpose) like your D2X just FX. But - compared to what we had with the D2X (where ISO1600 where barely usable) - you can shoot the D3X up to ISO6400 (depending on your sensitivity in regards to noise) and get great results even not downsized.

Cheers

Virgil

#6 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:52 AM

Greg - the D3X is (in regards to the intended purpose) like your D2X just FX. But - compared to what we had with the D2X (where ISO1600 where barely usable) - you can shoot the D3X up to ISO6400 (depending on your sensitivity in regards to noise) and get great results even not downsized.

Hey Virgil,

My D2Xs are a love/hate relationship for sure. When it's good environment for them they are spot on, but when they light is not right you about to do a bit of cursing. But man do they put out some nice work when they have what they need. what I think I might do is upgrade to see how i like the D3. I wont gain much in image quality which I would like but I will gain low-light performance which i need more!!

Thanks for the insight.

#7 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4310 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:28 AM

I'd look into the differences between the D3 and D3s. From what I understand the D3s gives another stop or so of high ISO performance.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#8 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:55 AM

I'd look into the differences between the D3 and D3s. From what I understand the D3s gives another stop or so of high ISO performance.

Heey Just,

Yeah I am considering that for sure. Using my D2s I'm able to set a custom WB for the room and shoot from a mono, and be about 2 stops off from correct. Not a big task to correct  at post editing, but the end result can be some noise. I'd like to be able to get rid of that at this point.  With enough light the D2s produce, so I want to add a D3 as a third body for low-light and eventually phase out the D2s for 3 or 4s, At least that is my plan. I'm going to transition out, but I'm looking for the best way to do it soI'm still looking at available options. 

#9 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4310 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:39 AM

The way I understand it, and check me on this because it's only from reading around the web, is that the D3 and D700 use the same rendering engine -- the D3s uses a rendering engine that's a generation newer and performs better In low light.

Let us know what you finally decide on.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#10 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7061 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:26 AM

I have used my D3X for wildlife photography and find it usable, but far from perfect when it comes to frames per second. I have used a D4 and find it much better for bird photography and the D4s is even better than that, simply because of the higher fps figures. I often photograph with a friend that uses a D4s, and while his photographs are not any better, image quality wise, than mine, he gets a lot more, which can make a big difference in bird landing or departures, or flight shots. While I want to buy a D4s, I'm waiting to see if there is a D-5 in the offing.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#11 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10374 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:10 AM

Ron, in that case I'd wait for the D5s...

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#12 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

Herman and Ron.

Will the D5 be mostly a 4K video upgrade you think?

#13 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7061 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:46 PM

Greg, I don't know what to expect. I remember when I read a post sometime back from Herman regarding the rumored D-800E and he said that he had read that it would be 36MP's. I had a D3X with 26 MPs. I thought it would be crazy on the part of Nikon to bring out a 36MP camera that was about $5000.00 less expensive than my 26MP D3X. I lost a bet of a Grolsch beer or two with Herman and immediately bought a D-800E as soon as they were available. I suspect that he has forgotten the bet however. So I try to stay out of the business of trying to outguess Nikon. The only thing that would have any appeal to me over the D4s would be a higher FPS rate and higher resolution for wildlife photography. I personally don't shoot much video, so that would have little appeal to me. I haven't seen much in Nikon Rumors about a D5 or a D5s.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#14 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

Hi Ron,

I think I have to agree with you that placing the 800 on retail shelves didn't make a lot of cents except to those would realize they were getting a high me deal for pennies by comparison.

I'll tell you what irks me. The notion of Pro vs Consumers camera bodies, where the consumer rig has way more bells and whistles included right out of the box. If it's a Pro body it should do everything but fly if comparison to a mid-consumer level product....ijs

#15 annette

annette

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:wildlife,nature,people and rust.

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:00 PM

Sorry , I have been away for 3 weeks and see this now.

I have got both the d4 and the d3x. I love them both. Colours are simply the best with the d3x, I never have to correct anything.

I shoot lots of birds with it, amongst others the tits here :

http://www.planetnik...showtopic=24847

The advantage is also that you plenty of room for cropping.

The ergonomicshands :) of the d3x is IHMO better, too. At least for a woman's    as the D4 is an inkling bigger and that is not always ideal, also some little buttons and lever aren't there and have made space for the superfluous video stuff.

Regarding speed and low light photography the d4 is superb, you never miss a shot. But don't believe for a second the ISO above 25,000, 50000 requires already heavy smoothing. In reality you get 2 stops more than with the d3x, but then if you shoot musicians that really matters.

Also, this is the first camera which allowed me to shoot from a plane. D4, 25000 ISO, 55mm 1.2 ( ancient, no AI)

Attached Files

#16 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:32 AM

Sorry , I have been away for 3 weeks and see this now.

I have got both the d4 and the d3x. I love them both. Colours are simply the best with the d3x, I never have to correct anything.

I shoot lots of birds with it, amongst others the tits here :

http://www.planetnik...showtopic=24847

The advantage is also that you plenty of room for cropping.

The ergonomicshands :) of the d3x is IHMO better, too. At least for a woman's    as the D4 is an inkling bigger and that is not always ideal, also some little buttons and lever aren't there and have made space for the superfluous video stuff.

Regarding speed and low light photography the d4 is superb, you never miss a shot. But don't believe for a second the ISO above 25,000, 50000 requires already heavy smoothing. In reality you get 2 stops more than with the d3x, but then if you shoot musicians that really matters.

Also, this is the first camera which allowed me to shoot from a plane. D4, 25000 ISO, 55mm 1.2 ( ancient, no AI)

Good Stuff Nette!!

#17 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything that´s fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

Hi Greg, even if it´s late to reply - in your shoes I´d go for the D3s instead of a D3. The one and something more of a stop and some minor tweaks in the internal picture processing make quite a difference resultwise and more so in direct comparison. Another feature is sensor cleaning which the D3 doesn´t offer and works great in my experience. So, if you can afford it, go for it, you wont regret this purchase.

Cheers

Virgil

#18 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:43 AM

Hi Greg, even if it´s late to reply - in your shoes I´d go for the D3s instead of a D3. The one and something more of a stop and some minor tweaks in the internal picture processing make quite a difference resultwise and more so in direct comparison. Another feature is sensor cleaning which the D3 doesn´t offer and works great in my experience. So, if you can afford it, go for it, you wont regret this purchase.

Hi Virgil,

Yeah I asked that question a while back, and came to the conclusion that the D3s is better suited for things I would like to do. The D2xs bodies I have do an ok job in low light,but I would like a more straightforward approach to getting photos shot without the need to wiggle my ISO and shutter as much. I'd also like to reduce noise without having to post edit as much. My 15 year old daughter has taken an interest in photography, so that gives me one more reason to get different camera bodies.

Thanks for the help

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users