• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CedarBranchNikon

CedarBranchNikon

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • Interests:Photography, surfing, MTB, fishing, fly and salt water, camping, hiking, farming, loving my family, especially my grandchildren

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:47 AM

I was going through some of my many travel photos, thinking about posting a series in the Travel section, BUT, how do I decide what photos to post out of 100 or more? Quality? Significance? If the shot is n't that good, post it anyway? Watchall think?

#2 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9756 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

I'd say... just make a selection that you would like to share with us!

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#3 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19349 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:01 AM

Pick the ones that you like best....looking forward.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#4 CedarBranchNikon

CedarBranchNikon

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • Interests:Photography, surfing, MTB, fishing, fly and salt water, camping, hiking, farming, loving my family, especially my grandchildren

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for the advice. Savannah is a beautiful old city, but a bugger to take photos of because the beautiful old live oaks makes shade and shadows that make it very difficult to get a good, well-lit shot. I'll do my best.

#5 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

Sorry for posting late on this, CBN.  I was out and about for a good chunk of yesterday.

To answer your question, when I post under Travel, the images I select meet 2 criteria:  1) I really like them; 2) they help me tell my story.  :)

Edited by Sailjunkie, 12 August 2017 - 12:09 PM.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#6 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the advice. Savannah is a beautiful old city, but a bugger to take photos of because the beautiful old live oaks makes shade and shadows that make it very difficult to get a good, well-lit shot. I'll do my best.

Take your tripod and shoot HDR.

#7 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8203 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:31 PM

Tell a story with them.  Show areas that would be of interest for others to see and shoot.  Make several different posts rather than post the whole trip.  Posts based on time, or themes.  Make us want to take the same trip.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#8 CedarBranchNikon

CedarBranchNikon

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:25 PM

The photos have already been taken so I think that rules HDR out, correct? I had thought about just doing a few shots at a time, instead of dumping a big load all at once. I have been lackadaisical or apathetic about learning how to use my DSLR, or lazy. Most of my shots are grandchildren and vacations, just fun stuff  with no real thinking or planning involved. Thanks for all the tips and good advice. The weather people are talking about several days of rain and I'm still on "no duty" due t my  heart procedure this past Tuesday, so I need to get busy. 

#9 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 9756 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:34 AM

CBN, you can apply HDR to photos already taken using PP software. Not sure if The free software package NIK Software Suite will work together with PSE6. I'd recommend you to post regular JPG images first so as to get used to processing techniques. You can always consider RAW and HDR at a later stage...

Good luck & all the best with your further recovery!

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#10 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

Set aside some time to learn to shoot images for HDR processing. You use the exposure compensation button on your DSLR, set a couple settings and shoot the required number of frames. Once you get the hang of it, taking a 5-shot series is very quickly done - I'd say less than 10 seconds. It is so worth it if, as you stated, there would be "shade and shadows that make it very difficult to get a good, well-lit shot.". HDR is perfectly suited to this kind of situation. It's the digital equivalent of burning and dodging, but don't take it too far (I'm not a fan of over-processed HDR. :)).

Edited by Peter, 14 August 2017 - 04:02 PM.

#11 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4066 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:17 PM

The photos have already been taken so I think that rules HDR out, correct? I had thought about just doing a few shots at a time, instead of dumping a big load all at once. I have been lackadaisical or apathetic about learning how to use my DSLR, or lazy. Most of my shots are grandchildren and vacations, just fun stuff  with no real thinking or planning involved. Thanks for all the tips and good advice. The weather people are talking about several days of rain and I'm still on "no duty" due t my  heart procedure this past Tuesday, so I need to get busy. 

You can do HDR on a single raw photo.  In your editing software, you can make JPGs of the image as exposed, and then at other exposure values such as +1 stop and -1 stop.  You can use the HDR function if your PSE version has one.  If not, you can put those JPG files on layers with the darkest on the bottom and the lightest on top in PSE and selectively erase to reveal the best exposed parts of each.  Some call this "compositing" and you can find methods for doing on the Internet.  I did a post on this about 11 years ago here, but I can't find it. 

Edited by justshootit, 19 August 2017 - 09:19 PM.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users