• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9848 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

Interesting comparisons...

See link: https://photographyl...term=2017-10-17

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19582 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:39 PM

Great link, thanks, Herman!

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#3 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6506 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

Quite a big step up for the very latest bodies... the D500 really shines.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#4 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

LOL I'm 2 steps from the bottom of the barrel

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#5 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19582 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:30 PM

The D500 stands toe to toe with the D5.

That is pretty amazing.

The D850 is no slouch either, all things considered!  Well done, Nikon.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#6 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5295 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:54 AM

Those three new bodies D500/D5/D850 stand out against everything else - they don't have an incremental boost to their buffer performance they really are a whole new generation.

Definitely the future everyone else needs to aim for.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#7 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:49 AM

The real key to the improved burst length is the use of XQD cards.  The D500 and D850 have XQD write speeds of around 210 MB/s.  At that speed the D500 barely uses the buffer shooting at 10 fps which generates 250 MB/s of image data (14 bit lossless compressed).  The D850 has much bigger files - 54m MB/s - so it generates 378 MB/s of data of which it can only write 210MB/s.  With the grip at 9 fps it generates 486 MB/s and still writes 210 MB/s so the buffer fills much faster.  The buffer is around 1.25 GB in the D500 and D850.  It's around 2.25 GB in the D5.

What's also impressive is the D500 and D850 can clear the buffer in about 6.5 seconds.  There are mirrorless cameras that can produce a higher frame rate but there is a problem.  They have larger buffers and slower cards, so once filled the buffer clears at much slower speeds.  

Only CFast and the fastest XQD cards can achieve really fast write speeds.  

Edited by ericbowles, 20 October 2017 - 05:51 AM.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#8 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5295 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:03 AM

My Fuji uses UHS-II SD cards which run at 300mbps so it can clear its buffer very quickly. Not XQD fast but still considerably faster than most bodies.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#9 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:48 AM

UHS-II cards are more than twice as fast as the best UHS-I cards.  But all of these cameras have processing taking place and components that prevent camera from achieving anywhere near lab benchmark speeds.  For example, the 300 MB/s UHS-II SD card in the D500 has a top write speed of 150 MB/s.  The 400 MB/s and 440 MB/s XQD have write speeds of 210 MB/s in the D500.   Over time we'll see newer and faster buses in the camera permitting faster speeds - but right now the camera is the slow point.

I have only seen test data on the Fuji X-Pro2.  Slot 1 is the only UHS-II capable slot, and it has a top write speed of 112 MB/s.  Slot 2 is UHS-I and has a top speed of 78 MB/s.  But the camera makes up for the slower speed with a reasonable buffer that is estimated at 1.15 MB so it can fire 92 RAW images in 30 seconds (the buffer fills in a little over 5 seconds).

• Art likes this

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users