8 replies to this topic

#1 tigerlillylei

tigerlillylei

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

hi i am new to photography,.. and i have recently bought a nikon d60, as i will be doin some concert photography for my partner,.. his show will have alot of flashing lights and dance routines as it is a michael jackson show,.. i was wondering if any body could help me on the settings of my camera ,.. which would be the best for an enviroment like that,.. and also,.. how do i change the shootin to multiple shots,.. ?? sorry if i havent explained this very well,.. like i say am new to this,.. thank you soo much for ur help

#2 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:06 AM

Welcome to the Planet.

If I were you, I would purchase a good introductory book to the camera. This one can be bought through our Amazon store: [b]Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide/b]. A few hours with a manual that will walk you through the basics of the camera will make you a decent concert photographer in a short time. It just takes a little work and lots of practice.

Do not for get a flash such as the SB600, 800 or 900.

#3 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:23 AM

Here are a couple of links that may interest you:

Concert, Stage, and Low-Light Photography

Concert Photography Tips from a Newbie

Concert Photography Masterclass

Post a pic or two when you can.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#4 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8358 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:09 AM

Welcome,

Scott Kelby has a couple of pieces on doing concerts on his blog. One was done by a guest blogger, read this.

Hope these help.

ODNT
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#5 José

José

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Computers, and Music

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:58 AM

Welcome to the Planet. Looks like you have lots of good advice and are on the way. Let us know if you need any further help and remember to post some of your pics after you get started. All the best.
José

”There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”
- Ansel Adams

#6 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15411 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

Welcome to the planet from colorado.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

As a rough guide set your camera to "P" (program mode) - for most shots. Use matrix metering for most shots. Change to other modes if there is strong back lighting or other problematic lighting. Choose a fairly high ISO speed, 800 or more. Hold the camera very steady. (Look for tips on how to hold your camera) Shoot at the brief moment when the movement of your main subject stops to get the sharpest results. (But shoot at other times too.) Keep an eye on your shutter speed and try not to let it drop below 1/30. Shoot in RAW (NEF), the quality difference is worth the extra file size and trouble of converting to a more usable format afterwards. Only use flash if really needed because it will take away from the stage lighting and the atmosphere. (The built in flash isn't too good at a concert, you really would need an SB600, SB800 or SB900.) The above are just a few rough ideas but like the others said it would be wise to study up from a book or knowledgeable website. There is really quite a lot to it. My tips above aren't gospel as there are lots of variables that might make you want to shoot differently according to the situation. I'm assuming that you are a beginner so I'm trying to keep it simple.
Who we are, shapes what we see ~ Chris Orwig

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#8 tigerlillylei

tigerlillylei

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:55 PM

Awww thank you so much everybody for your replies,.. i will have a look through everything, and will make sure to show ya my results :D:D thank you xxx :D:D

#9 Desmond

Desmond

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Photography , outdoors , mountains and snow

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

These were taken with a D40 but it did have a 70-200 lens on it :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My approach is to use "S" shutter priority mode when the lights are changing too fast to go manual .
I leave the camera in auto-iso mode and let it go as high as it wants because you can fix noise later but you can't fix motion blur .
I use 1/125th as the lowest speed I'm prepared to drop to and if it gets darker than that , well then the picture should look dark as in the last picture shown . Since matrix metering is more consistent , but tends to over-expose , I use matrix metering with "-2" EV compensation dialed in to keep the black's 'black'.
At the last dance event I had 940 keepers out of 950 pictures so it seems to work for me .

Edited by Desmond, 24 November 2009 - 07:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users