7 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

I just found that the recent firmware updates to my D810 and D4 firmware caused the loss of AF for my 2 pre-dock Sigma lenses. In my case they were the 150mm 1:2.8 APO MACRO DG HSM and the 120-300mm 1:2.8 APO DG HSM.

Fortunately I had the previous update files for both cameras. Using Update in the Setup menu I was able to "update" my D810 from C1.13 to C1.12 and my D4 from A1.11 and B1.11 to A1.10 and B1.10. These "updates" restored AF for the Sigmas on both cameras.

I'm not sure that I will bother sending the lenses to Sigma for updates. They are quite heavy and the cost of shipping plus insurance will be substantial, and I'll lose use of the lenses for 2-3 weeks. It appears that the updates are primarily for AF-P lenses. These seem to be primarily DX lenses that I have no interest in.

I suspect this problem affects other bodies and lenses in addition to the ones I have.  Check your Nikon bodies and Sigma lenses to be sure.  If your Sigma lenses are the newer ones that can use the USB dock, then you should be able to update the lenses firmware to match these latest NIkon camera firmware.  If not you'll have to choose between shipping the lenses to Sigma or "updating" your camera firmware to the previous version.

Edited by Gary Poole, 28 March 2018 - 08:46 AM.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23710 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for the heads up Gary!

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7418 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Gary.  I wonder if it is only affecting certain lenses?  Back button auto-focus still works fine on the Sigma 105/2.8 DG macro.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#4 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Gary.  I wonder if it is only affecting certain lenses?  Back button auto-focus still works fine on the Sigma 105/2.8 DG macro.  :)

Mark

I think the correlation is more likely to be the manufacturing date than the model of the lens.  The same lens could have different firmware depending on when it was manufactured.

Nikon forces 3rd party lens manufacturers to reverse engineer the lens to body interface specs and protocol.  I would expect Sigma and others to  check their interface design frequently, maybe with each new Nikon body and firmware release.  If they see any changes in the interface they would likely do an update to the firmware of all lenses currently in production probably without changing the model designation.  I bought my 120-300 in July 2013 and my 150 Macro in March 2012.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA

#5 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15421 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

Did you also install the latest lens distortion firmware?

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#6 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:47 PM

Did you also install the latest lens distortion firmware?

Yes I installed the latest lens distortion firmware in both cameras at the same time that I installed the latest operating firmware.  I only rolled back the operating firmware to restore AF for my Sigma lenses.  The distortion firmware is still at the latest version.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA

#7 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:23 PM

Thanks, Gary.  My Sigma 150 did not AF after the update on the D850.  I'm still working through possible solutions since I don't want to roll back firmware.  I'll have to check my Sigma 35mm ART and can update that one with the dock.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#8 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:45 PM

After reading similar discussions on another site, I think this problem may only apply to FX bodies.  At least the D500 seems to be unaffected.

The update was to add support for AF-P lenses.  Most (maybe all) AF-P lenses are DX.   Apparently Nikon did something different for AF-P handling in the updates than they did in the D500.  As a software developer since 1963 I think that is poor programming.  There is no reason to have different AD code for different bodies.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users