• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

I belong to a large church, 1,000 seat modern design and there will be three services this Easter weekend. There's the 1,000 seat sloped auditorium, and here's a photo of about half of the lobby, there will be no tables, pretty much wall to wall people. I've been tasked with taking the official photos so I don't want to screw it up :)

Attached Files

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#2 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:06 PM

The glass front is 40 feet tall and the time of day will be 9-12 

Attached Files

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#3 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23253 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:38 PM

I'll chime in when I get home from work.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:15 AM

I find shots like this uninteresting unless there's the crowd itself conforms to some large geometric shape I usually ask people to pose together or alone and get shots of 1, 2, 3, or 4 individuals.

If the sun will be streaming in, you for sure want to use fill flash unless dramatic dark shadows are what you're after.

Edited by justshootit, 30 March 2018 - 03:16 AM.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#5 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:42 AM

The large glass front faces northwest so no direct sun until late in the evening

#6 CaseyJM

CaseyJM

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Paramedic by trade, Photography by passion, Hunting, Fishing (Bass - bucket mouth or Bronze Backs) Target Shooting, World of Warcraft (my personal getaway), Firearms wood stock refinishing, Action movies

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:59 AM

I find that shots with people that still have a focal point in them to be the most interesting when it comes to crowd photos.  Closer in shots where in a small group of people are talking or doing something of interest; then the crowd behind them maybe even being out of focus so as to highlight the small group.  In weddings I see this all the time with the center focus usually being the bride and groom, bridesmaids, groom mans, family and the like.  I find extremely large groups of people to be uninteresting unless there is something special going on; like the shot taken each four years of the presidential inaugural speech where a second focal point is the mass numbers but there you can't identify any of the people as they are so small in the photo and the major focal point seems to be the capital building and the decoration and the crowd is secondary except for the amount of space they take up.  Sorry for the long winded response and remember that I hate taking pictures of people to start with so my opinion is just that my only would not be as helpful to you as some of these other here in PN who are much better photographers when it comes to people.  

_DSC8728-2_zpsxeu0azby.jpg

Nikon D500, Tokina 11-16 F2.8 AT-X Pro, Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron 150-600 F/5.6-6.3 Di VC G2, 
Nikon SB-600, Pro-Master GH-25 Gimbal, Pro-Master 528 Tripod[/font][/color]

#7 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6859 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:46 PM

Did the person who asked you to take these shots give you some idea as to what kind of shots they are looking for?  How are they planning to use the shots?

When it comes to group shots, I can't improve on what the others have said.  Hope it goes well.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20669 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:26 PM

Get a Gary Fong for your flash.  You are going to need fill in light.

I would pose people in this situation.  Take them in groups of 3 and just ask them to chat with each other.  It will be a staged shot, but it won't look like wedding pictures.  Go for a candid look.  If there is something interesting in the lobby, have them stand near it.  In a large crowd, you will find subjects near the interesting spots.

Don't shoot towards the glass, you will get burnout and reflection off the glass.

Avoid the far away shots, they are not personal.  You want up close for a warmer personal result.

Best I can offer.

Signature_Line_V4

#9 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:57 PM

Did the person who asked you to take these shots give you some idea as to what kind of shots they are looking for?  How are they planning to use the shots?

When it comes to group shots, I can't improve on what the others have said.  Hope it goes well.  :)

Pretty much candid shots so they look unsuspecting. Pretty much like street shooting

#10 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14905 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

I agree, you dont want one large group shot, little dots is what you will end up with.

I would use something like a 16-35 Xoom, you can get in the crowd and go wide on the lens. Or zoom in and get small group candids. If they are singing, showing emotion, get that shot. Move around.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#11 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4247 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:56 PM

I find shots like this uninteresting unless there's the crowd itself conforms to some large geometric shape I usually ask people to pose together or alone and get shots of 1, 2, 3, or 4 individuals.

If the sun will be streaming in, you for sure want to use fill flash unless dramatic dark shadows are what you're after.

More on this.  I like to stay really jovial with people in situations like this unless it's a somber occasion.  If people are cutting up and having fun and you are cutting up with them, it makes for way more spontaneous looking photos.

Edited by justshootit, 31 March 2018 - 12:25 AM.

Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#12 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 06:01 AM

I agree, you dont want one large group shot, little dots is what you will end up with.

I would use something like a 16-35 Xoom, you can get in the crowd and go wide on the lens. Or zoom in and get small group candids. If they are singing, showing emotion, get that shot. Move around.

i have a 18-55, 50 mm f1.8, 135 mm Q-auto and a 70-300. pretty limited here

#13 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14905 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:01 AM

i have a 18-55, 50 mm f1.8, 135 mm Q-auto and a 70-300. pretty limited here

You should be able to use that 18-55 in place of the 16-35 I mentioned.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#14 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23253 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:26 AM

You should be able to use that 18-55 in place of the 16-35 I mentioned.

Agree the 18-55 will work in this situation.

Try to vary your shots from different angles this provides a variety of shots.

As mentioned try to get personal, groups of 4-5 always works. Its ok for a few large wide shots o show the event as a whole but the winners will always be those showing the personal side of the event.

Dont forget auto ISO in an event like this auto ISO is your friend.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#15 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6859 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:10 PM

I agree with Jim, about Auto ISO.  People can move from indoors to outdoors and back quite quickly.  Auto ISO means one less thing to worry about.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#16 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:06 PM

It was mentioned to me today they prefer a shallow DOF and soft colors, that's pretty much what I had planned on.

#17 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:02 PM

There will be some concert photography involved as well, using Aperture Priority mode there, with the 50 mm f1.8

#18 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4247 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

Given everything I've read here -- candids, shallow DOF, etc., I'm thinking that, in addition to the group shots, you will want to single out individuals for candids.  If you can't pop for something like a used Sigma  50-150/2.8, you'll likely want to use that 70-300 wide open and the 18-55 wide open at its longer focal lengths.  You'll often have to stand off a ways because candids often demand it, and that will necessitate the longer lens.  Don't worry about the DOF at f/5.6 on that 70-300 - it's plenty shallow wide open.

This is not a bad thing - using a long FL and a wide aperture to isolate the subject and get a compressed perspective in a candid gives an almost mystical quality to the shot and evokes curiosity in the viewer.  When I was first getting started shooting events, I'd use a 75-300/4.5-5.6 on a 35mm body and I got great results with it.

When I was shooting these events with DX, my go-to lenses were the 18-70/3.5-4.5 and a 70-200/2.8, and I sometimes used a 12-24/4 and got right on top of a scene to get a unique perspective.  If I were still doing this with DX, I'd pick up a 17-55/2.8 to replace the 18-70 for the short end to get shallower DOF.  The Tamron and Sigma equivalents would be fine too.

I completely agree with the ISO-Auto idea.  When I was doing this, I missed that feature on the D1X.

Don

#19 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:00 AM

I belong to a large church, 1,000 seat modern design and there will be three services this Easter weekend. There's the 1,000 seat sloped auditorium, and here's a photo of about half of the lobby, there will be no tables, pretty much wall to wall people. I've been tasked with taking the official photos so I don't want to screw it up :)

I would run a  setup/test shot(s) to set my White Balance, Exposure Values for the room, but if you're going to do auto set then the camera will work that out so that would be a non-issue for you. Take your flash and a couple sets of batteries. I don't know how fast your lenses are but having a flash will aid in getting enough light.

You seem to be doing just fine as far as I can see from the shot above. I would capture things taking place as well as people interacting as well, so I would use a variable focal in wide, along with a variable telephoto. That way you have coverage. Also not a bad idea If they have a printed itinerary might be helpful to you to have that with you so that you know how  to setup for you shot a little before hand. Nothing like getting surprised by a group of say 50 or more people receiving recognition...lol

Just have fun shooting and make lots photos

Edited by gregc, 07 June 2018 - 06:15 AM.

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#20 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:42 PM

The glass front is 40 feet tall and the time of day will be 9-12 

circular polarizer to kill glare.

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users