Nathan Lanni

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Thanks, Nathan

Vintage and classic automobiles, architecture, photography, music

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

I've looked at this lens in Adorama's Used lens department. What do you think?

http://www.adorama.c... 653976.html

The listing says it's an "E-"

E-      Barrel shows signs of wear and/or moderate usage. Lens glass may have some dust / spots that should not affect picture quality.

Doesn't mention anything about fungus.

Should I pass?

Nathan

-- Nikon camera body: D810
-- Nikon lenses: 28mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8D, 60mm 2.8D Micro, 85mm 1.8G, 18-200mm f/3.5-5G DX
-- Other gear: Acratech GP ballhead w/ Leveling Base, Induro CF214 Tripod, SunwayFoto L-bracket, SB-700 flash, pano mount

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15766 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

We, it would come with a grantee. I would get it. Test the heck out of it and if it's ok, then you got your lens. I have this lens, and it works great.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 Nathan Lanni

Nathan Lanni

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

Ok,

I've never really thought about fungus being an issue, but looking at a number of used lenses some listing mention weather or not it has it.

How would I check for it and I assume it could affect image quality, right?

Thanks, Nathan

Nathan

-- Nikon lenses: 28mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8D, 60mm 2.8D Micro, 85mm 1.8G, 18-200mm f/3.5-5G DX
-- Other gear: Acratech GP ballhead w/ Leveling Base, Induro CF214 Tripod, SunwayFoto L-bracket, SB-700 flash, pano mount

#4 Nathan Lanni

Nathan Lanni

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

And it does have a 30 day return policy.

Nathan

#5 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15766 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

We have a few lens guys here that can tell you how to check the lens for fungus. Yes, it will affect IQ.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#6 BrianS

BrianS

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Interests:Photography, camera collecting, "Hobbyist-level" camera repair

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

Price is competitive with KEH.

https://www.keh.com/...tofocus-lens-52

Fungus would always be listed by a honorable company.

It looks like spider webs. If caught early, it can be cleaned off. Left on for some time, it will etch the coating and then glass. UV light will get rid of any spores. If a lens has fungus issues, it cuts the value by ~70%. I paid $60 for a Leica 5cm F2 Summitar with fungus, it cleaned off with ammonia based lens cleaner. A "pristine" coated Summitar would be ~$350.

Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.5. And maybe 100 or so other Nikkor lenses. Maybe 60 of those are on Nikon cameras right now.

#7 Keith M

Keith M

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

I've purchased a couple of lenses from Adorama marked V and (Adorama) and BGN (KEH) that were optically perfect.

they also functioned perfectly, just showed wear on the focus ring, aperture ring or barrel.

I have never gotten a lemon from either company.

marked Excellent - you really have to look close to find the "flaw"s.

"First we have to make you pretty"

Pixels are like beans, it doesn't matter how many you put in the pot, it's how well you can cook that counts.

#8 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:13 AM

Thoroughly test the AF/MF switch as they have a habit of failing or at the very least becoming hit & miss in their operation. Other thing to note is the AF is very and I mean very slow. Not a problem for most macro where you're on manual focus or your subject is static but if you use it for anything where you want a bit of pace it is hopeless.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#9 Nathan Lanni

Nathan Lanni

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

I want you guys to know how much I appreciate you chiming in here on this thread and well as my other thread I started the other day:

http://www.planetnik...showtopic=23828

Here's where I'm at. 

Thanks Art for talking out of the bellows idea.

I've decided to wait a bit on buying the 105mm Micro. BrianS the link you provided for KEH was very helpful. The reason I've decided to wait is I was being a bit reactive based on what I was seeing on ebay and other online sources, but I didn't know about KEH. They have a ton of used equipment with several items of different quality grades within a specific focal length.  I was able to make a better comparison and if I'm going to spend the money for a keeper lens I don't want to be hasty and regret it later. KEH has E and E+ lenses for only a $100 +/- more than what I was looking with the single lens Adorama had in stock.

Black Pearl you made me think a bit about AF speed, because some of the macro subjects I'll be shooting won't be completely stationary so even though I love "D" lenses and will likely always have them, I think I'll save my money and get the 105mm f/2.8 G AF-S VR for the quicker AF speed.

To everyone else (listed alpha sort)  - chaswes5, Curve_in, Dennis, Herman, justshootit, and Keith M - thanks for your information and encouragement.

One thing I didn't mention to you guys before is I like to shoot vintage automobiles. This last January here in Southern California I attended the 65th Annual Grand Roadster show. Using my d7100 I took a couple hundred shots and looking at them later I wasn't happy with any of them. Really disappointed. Although I had a tripod, for the most part I was shooting in-doors hand held using my 35mm f/2 d, but on the DX body that put me in the middle of people walking past the exhibits. So I quickly changed over to my 18-200m f/3.5-5.6 VR. The shots looked fine on my dslr lcd but when I got home just about every shot was slightly out of focus. My on-camera flash helped, but the combination of low light, being in a hurry to shoot and maybe a few other factors worked against me.

I found out from another photographer at the show he got in a few days earlier with a Press Badge and had the run of the place before the crowds came. A friend shoots for an online e-zine or something so I'm going to get in touch with him to see if can I weasel a Press Badge out of them.

I went back and analyzed my Roadster show shots, converting the DX angle of view to FX and they range from 26mm to 58mm, most from 33mm to 44mm. So I'll be getting a KEH E+ Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D. That plus my 35mm f/2 D and the NikonUSA refurb Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D walk-around lens I got from Adorama for $86, I think I'll be covered.  Ideally I should get a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 or f/4G but I just don't have the cash for either of those now.

I think the 24mm will help with my other two areas of interest, as well: landscape and architectural photography - so I'm really killing 3 birds with one stone with the 24mm. :) Maybe in the next couple of months I'll get a nice flash and a better tripod and a panoramic ball head.

I tend to be over analytical and long winded, but I wanted you to know how much I appreciate you taking to time to comment, and I didn't want you to think I'm being flaky changing directions so I explained my direction and the reasons why.

Thanks for your time

Comments are welcome

Edited by teagueAMX, 19 August 2014 - 01:12 PM.

Nathan

#10 BrianS

BrianS

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Interests:Photography, camera collecting, "Hobbyist-level" camera repair

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

KEH stands behind their gear, and in 25 years of buying from them: never returned anything.

Sounds like a good setup. My manual focus 35/2 Nikkor-O on the Df (FX Body) got more use this past vacation than any other lens that I brought. I need to use my 24/2.8 Nikkor-N on it; was my favorite wide-angle for Nikon on my film cameras.

Edited by BrianS, 19 August 2014 - 05:16 PM.

Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.5. And maybe 100 or so other Nikkor lenses. Maybe 60 of those are on Nikon cameras right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users