• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21334 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

My guess, Nikon cracked down. Toronto stores seem to be towing the line.

Interesting comment I picked up on when I bought my D850,
"Thats the price Nikon set the camera at, cant change it."

When I asked them to match a show special price.

They couldnt!

So, looks like Nikon is fixing prices.

Signature_Line_V4

#32 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23643 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

My guess, Nikon cracked down. Toronto stores seem to be towing the line.

Interesting comment I picked up on when I bought my D850,
"Thats the price Nikon set the camera at, cant change it."

When I asked them to match a show special price.

They couldnt!

So, looks like Nikon is fixing prices.

One of my friends who shoots Canon said Canon has done that too unless its an authorized Canon special no deal they have to sell it at the price that Canon sets no wiggle room.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#33 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23643 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

I was wondering when Nikon/Canon etc would cut off some of the HK markets that sell cheap to the EU etc, here in the US we are lucky in the sense we tend to be cheaper than other regions and the savings buying from HK are not all the big vs just buying here.

I could see Nikon and Canon, maybe even Sony and Fuji cracking down on retailers that specialize in undercutting their regional markets.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#34 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10348 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

Jim, there must be some sort of dispute between Nikon and the HongKong retailer...

Check out their website: www.eglobalcentral.com  &  www.eglobalcentral.nl

:huh:

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#35 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7300 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:39 PM

Thom Hogan has now weighed in on this:

http://www.dslrbodie...sumers-buy.html

Please note his heavy sarcasm.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#36 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

I'd definitely use the 180-400 if I had a chance.  I'm not going to upgrade from the 200-400 because I am not primarily a sports photographer - but it's a great lens for that person.  

With sports, there are specific lenses and gear that vary by sports.  For night games outdoors, the 400mm f/2.8 is required.  But for daylight events - and a range of situations - the 180-400 would be a great options.  The lens is big, but the guys who photograph golf are normally using a monopod, and this lens would reduce the weight they are carrying.

Professional golf photographers are often using a 200-400 on one camera body and a normal or wide zoom on a second body.  They usually have plenty of light so f/4 is a good option.  Most of those photographers work for Getty or other companies so it's a corporate purchase - and not out of their pocket.   They seem to always have a 400mm f/2.8, or more often a 200-400.

For polo you have a large field with fast action.  I like the range of the 200-500, but the image quality is not what ideally is needed.  This lens solves that issue and provides 180-560mm effective coverage.  Again - you have plenty of light so f/4-f/5.6 are fine.  I normally photograph polo from one end of the field - so mobility is moderate.  The field is still 160 yards wide with a ball moving at more than 100 mph, so you need mobility.  A monopod works well.

I'm not sure how this would work for football or baseball, but I suspect it wouldbe okay at a pro level.

I'd certainly like this lens over any of the 150-600 or 200-500 models if weather is marginal.  Those lenses all extend when you zoom - and that's a problem in terms of durability.  The 180-400 - like the 2 00-400 - does not extend when you zoom providing both durability and protection in inclement weather.

This lens looks as good for the pro sports photographer as the 200-500 is for wildlife and amateur sports photography.  It's going to be very popular.  The optics are very good - a nice step up.  The TC is a nice positive for that occasional tight shot.  It's a tougher call for a part time pro sports photographer, but I expect those with the budget will buy it.  For that group it will depend a lot on what sports they cover and how much this lens gets used.  You have to keep in mind the options are limited and they are all expensive.

In terms of volume, it's not a huge seller.  I saw some numbers on the 200-400 and it averages 1500-2000 units per year over both models.  That means there are 25-30,000 of the 200-400 lenses out there.  I'm sure you'll see 3,000 or more of these sold the first year and it will be in short supply.

Whatever you do, don't mount this lens and try it out.  Don't rent it.  Don't touch it or go near anyone who has this lens.  :)  If you try it, you know you'll lust over it and get it sooner or later.   

Edited by ericbowles, 12 January 2018 - 04:02 PM.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#37 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10348 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for the very nice write-up, Eric.

What I fail to understand is where the horrific price increase comes from...

I bought a brand new Nikkor Af-S 500VR2 f/4 prime lens costing Euro 6,850,00 back in 2012. The 180-400 zoom lens will cost a staggering Euro 11,999,00!!!

It just baffles me...

😦

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#38 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:41 PM

Whatever you do, don't mount this lens and try it out.  Don't rent it.  Don't touch it or go near anyone who has this lens.  :)  If you try it, you know you'll lust over it and get it sooner or later.   

:lol:  :lol:

That's exactly how/why I ended up buying the 200-400 VR!!

Signature_Line_V4

#39 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

Eric, excellent post, thank you.

Mark, thanks for the link.

Herman, thanks for the link as well.

Signature_Line_V4

#40 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

This is cool, from Thom Hogan link:

The built-in TC means that you can use the lens as a 180-400mm f/4 lens, or as a 252-560mm f/5.6 lens by flicking a switch. Hope you're right handed, because the activation mechanism is near the lens mount on the right side of the lens as you're using it. Interestingly, you can mount a regular TC-14EIII on the lens, giving you a 252-560mm f/5.6 that can flip to a 353-784mm f/8. So there's some versatility in this new lens.

784mm at f8.

Not totally blown away by f8 but wow, that is nice reach.  I wonder if they fixed the issue of soft focus on far away objects. Performance up close makes this lens just shine, but not so, on objects far away.  For this kind of DOUGH, I would expect it to be flawless.

​Add another $629 CDN if you buy the 1.4 TC III.

Honestly, no thanks.  May pick one up years from now used.

Signature_Line_V4

#41 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:54 PM

SIDE NOTE:

Are you interested in how well the D850 is selling?

Stores in Toronto STILL do not have inventory!  The projection is that this may be resolved in February where stock finally catches up to demand and stores will be able to carry stock of some kind. I know it is stating the obvious, but the D850 has been hugely successful. 

Signature_Line_V4

#42 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7300 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

SIDE NOTE:

Are you interested in how well the D850 is selling?

Stores in Toronto STILL do not have inventory!  The projection is that this may be resolved in February where stock finally catches up to demand and stores will be able to carry stock of some kind. I know it is stating the obvious, but the D850 has been hugely successful. 

I'm not surprised by this.  I have yet to come across a negative review.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#43 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

I'm not surprised by this.  I have yet to come across a negative review.  :)

They nailed this. This is better than the D800 release. I would say this is their Flagship camera in terms of "franchise saving product".  This is in spite of what I feel are continued mistakes....like the $15K lens!!

Signature_Line_V4

#44 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

Did some math on this lens price, just to see what is involved.

So, humor me.

If the price was $10,000 US.... how many more would they sell a year?

If their target profit is $6M US. I figure they would have to sell 4500 units per year to make this drop in price worthwhile.

So, either their profit expectations are way too high, or they are desperate to make that profit target knowing full well, come heII or high water, they are going to sell 2000 no matter what price.  If corporate sales are pretty much guaranteed... you have to assume their marketing people have some research numbers and have crunched them.... maybe, that is what they are banking on.  The Getty's of the world will simply buy X# of them and that is all Nikon cares about.  They can drop the price later when VR II comes out in 6 months! :lol:

At $10K I am still OUT.

Some things to consider..... dropping the price does not necessarily guarantee cost goes down.  I am not sure how lens making works and what the economies of scale are, but if you more than double your production run, how would that impact cost per unit?  If price goes down, then the amount that needs to be sold to hit $6M goes down as well.  You would think they would opt to put more glass in peoples hands.

Signature_Line_V4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users