11 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:48 AM

Today we have a couple of pleasant announcements: 1. We have a new forum here on the Planet - Travel Photography. Many of us like to take travel pictures and enjoy the process of capturing the flavor of a certain area. Since we are each in an area available to ourselves, we can offer a more detailed look at our area. Show us your normal photography space in our new forum. Make us want to come and visit by looking at your images. 2. With our new Travel Photography forum, we add a new moderator to PlanetNikon. Many of us are familiar with Cliff (Old Dog New Tricks) from his many posts, and his blog. He has kindly volunteered to be a moderator on the new forum. In fact, the new Travel Photography forum was his idea. Everyone welcome Cliff, our new moderator!
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#2 José

José

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Computers, and Music

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:08 AM

Congratulations Cliff, you will be a great Moderator. I just posted a reply to the Travel Forum idea. I am glad to see it come to fruition. All the best.
José

”There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”
- Ansel Adams

#3 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:18 AM

I've moved several Travel-related threads to this new forum.
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#4 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8339 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

Thanks DD, I guess it only took two votes for it to pass. OK, my vision is; First, if you take a road trip, vacation, safari, cruise, whatever, please share some of the details. How you picked the destination, made the arrangements, etc. Give us tips on where to (or not to) stay and eat. What to expect crowd wise, weather and general expense. What equipment did you take that you used or didn't use. What would you have liked to have with you. And of course a couple of pictures to whet our appetites. As mentioned in the announcement I think that trip reports would be best placed in a blog and linked back to the forum. If you don't have a blog site, contact me and I will see what can be arranged on setting one up to place these reports in. Next, if you are planning a trip, post your intentions and inquire about the area. Some of you may be going to areas where we have members and nobody knows better than the locals, or at least can find someone who can help out. We can have our own Travel Network right here. :D (Can we get Samantha Brown??) The whole goal is to get the best photographic bang for our buck when we hit the road. By sharing our common experiences everyone can benifit. Social networking via the internet is great, but shaking a fellow Planteer's hand is much better, right Chas? Thanks all, Cliff
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#5 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

OD - u beees de man! Congratulations on your the idea and your moderator status. Germany has so much to see and I have only seen a microscopic glimpse of it so can I use my visits to other parts of this very entertaining country as topics. It almost quitting time so I can write something half way intelligent. ;) before I log off. PJ.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#6 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

Welcome to your new post Cliff from an ex moderator. New blood and new ideas always keep the forums moving along. Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15298 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

Great idea... and congrats! I'm not much of a blogger... but I have a few jeep trips up in the hills (does 12k FT count as a hill?). I've been doing the trails these past weeks with a jeep group. The images are still on the card and on a backup disk. Will have time later to go back to it.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#8 MikeP

MikeP

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

Congrats on the promotion, OD. I don't travel much, but I make an occasional road trip to visit family. Like Dennis, I'm not a blogger but if I do go somewhere special I'll definitely put up some shots here. B)
IPB Image

Forget about the technical stuff sometimes. Don't concentrate so much on histograms, 8-bit, 16-bit, JPEG/Raw, Adobe RGB vs. sRGB etc... Concentrate on what you're seeing, take better photos and that stuff won't be as crucial. - Matt Kloskowski

#9 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8339 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

Thanks guys. Another approach that is available, is that I would PM some questions to you as an interview, then I can generate a posting from that. Is that an acceptable alternative? OD
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#10 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

Congrats Cliff! heck you travel so much when will take care of business? lol

#11 Jeff

Jeff

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5114 posts
  • Interests:Photography, plastic model cars, darts, drag racing, hiking

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

Congratulations Cliff. I don't travel too much any more (not since I got out of the Navy), but will try and contribute when I can. Jeff
[font=Arial][size=1]
Nikon D300
Nikon D200
18-70 Nikkor 3.5-4.5 G
55-200 Nikkor 4-5.6
105 Micro Nikkor 2.8G VR
SB-600 Speedlight
Manfrotto 055MF4 Tripod
Manfrotto 3130 Pan/Tilt Head
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED
Nikon D810
Nikkor 24-120 AFS F/4G ED VR

#12 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15298 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

Thanks guys.

Another approach that is available, is that I would PM some questions to you as an interview, then I can generate a posting from that.

Is that an acceptable alternative?

OD

Sounds good. I will let ya know when I have a trip. Also, I can try creating the planet blog and see how it goes. I guess I will find out if I wrote it to short, too long or just plain borning! ;)

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users