• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:37 AM

I just received a second call from my Photostore bud asking me if I wanted to purchase a brand spanking new Fuji S5 pro for around $600 (euro conversion)? As most of you know I have the nifty D200 and Da 50 and yesterday I got some great shots from both at a Xmas market. Okay back to the S5: Read alot about it, lusted after it and then decided "Nah" in the past. So asking my brothers and sisters do u think this is a good Xmas present for the Jazzer?????? :unsure:

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#2 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8358 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:39 AM

At that price it's a steal. I'd do it, if I hadn't already sunk money into MF and Xmas presents for "She..." OD
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#3 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:41 AM

Od thanks for the quick reply. Yesterday, I was out being the photog for our Xmas maket and first I was using my D200. Later I changed to Da 50 and out of the camera, the D50 shots were reall nice. What will I get from the S5 in your opinon?

PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#4 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8358 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:03 AM

The great Fuji Sensor and film simulations. 12 MP in raw and just a darned good deal at that price. B&H selling it for $900.00 body only. Very similar to D200 uses MB D200, however requires Fuji batteries. OD
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with

#5 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:24 AM

How are the images from the 12MP Raw? I have the Fuji S7000 with 12 MP interpolatee Raw processing and I a told the S5 has a newer concept of this. Thanks OD

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#6 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8358 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:33 AM

My S3 is a 12.3 I like the images that come from that. I don't know about the S5 but the S3 is a slower camera to use. Takes longer to process the image.

All of the pictures I took in Chicago were taken with the S3

http://hopkinsandallen.com/Chicago

The S5 also has Face Detection built in. And a live view

http://www.fujifilm....es/page_05.html

Such a dilemna...A FAS attack. :rolleyes:

OD
Posted Image

Shooting with

#7 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:51 AM

Nice pictures. I will meet with him on 24 Dec and try to work out a try-b4-buy test and do some Xmas and New Years party shots. Thanks agian Bro. :)

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#8 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8358 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:02 AM

Let me know how it works out. I'm still kinda on the fence myself for the next big attack of FAS or NAS. The D90 has caught my eye. OD
Posted Image

Shooting with

#9 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:18 AM

Let me know how it works out. I'm still kinda on the fence myself for the next big attack of FAS or NAS. The D90 has caught my eye.

OD

Hmmm, haven't paid much atention the D90. Looking more at the D300 or D700 and Fuji S5.... :)

Good luck with whatever you purchase.

B)

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#10 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23700 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

Not to knock the D90 it is great but now that I have gone back to a Pro body its hard to go to a slower model. Plus I have become addicted to a body that will meter with my MF lens. For me a D700 is my real goal but if a D300 at a low price cam along I might jump. As far as the S5 for 500$ jazz not sure you can beat that. It is based on the D200 body so the AF etc is going to match your D200 the only draw back is write speed but from what I have been told and seen the S5 is better than the S3 and with a fast card it is not much of a problem. I know several Wedding photogs who love the S5 and they say it is a great landscape camera. I would see if you can take it for a spin and see how you like it. $500 is crazy low for this camera since new it cost more than the D200. Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#11 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15411 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:48 PM

Hmm... B&H has the MB-200 grip for the D200 for $159.00... hmm... NAS attack... NAS attackt! hehehe ;-)

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#12 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23700 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:54 PM

Hmm... B&H has the MB-200 grip for the D200 for $159.00... hmm... NAS attack... NAS attackt! hehehe ;-)

Dennis jump on it I love my MB-200 it really makes the D200 feel right plus it helps with the vertical shutter release and the second battery will let you shoot and shoot and shoot etc.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#13 greypoint

greypoint

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

I had an S3 a couple of years ago but found it just too slow. Not just the write speed but little things like the time it took to view images on the rear screen etc. - I found I left it at home because the D50 was just so much quicker and better as a walkaround camera for attempting to capture things like flying birds. The S5 looked very interesting when it first came out but was a bit over budget. But a special offer price of 420 co-incided with my decision to return to Nikon as a long term system [after trying most of the others over the past couple of years!]. At that price for a semi-pro body with the advantage of extra DR and Fuji colours it seemed a bargain too good to miss. I can't compare it with the D200 performance wise as I have'nt used one. Setting 400% DR is the the way to really slow things down but it's still a lot better than the S3. Set the DR to 100% and it's pretty respectable if not ultra speedy. I'm still experimenting with the settings - for me it's a JPEG camera and can certainly produce nice results straight out of camera. Cropped a bit and re-sized to put on flickr - so quality has suffered a tad from the original :rolleyes: Attached File  22.11.08_451a.jpg   33.44KB   5 downloadsAttached File  2311c.jpg   33.69KB   6 downloads

Edited by greypoint, 08 December 2008 - 06:14 PM.

MY FLICKR - http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/collections/
WEBSITE - http://greypointphotography.co.uk/

Nikon D300 Nikon 70-300mm vr, Nikon 70-210mm. Sigma 17-70mm

#14 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:50 AM

Thanks all for the information. Plan is to do a field test during the holidays if possible. :)

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users