This is our second to last shot for Project 52, the commercial photography course that is being taught by Don Giannatti. In this shot we were being asked to show how a new water repellent product works. The challenge is that it must be shot to two different layouts; and show water being repelled. The shots must also show how the relationship between the surface and moisture is changed by the product. Did I mentioned that bright colours are preferred?
How we made the image was up to us. However, our "client" was expecting one shot that was suitable for use as a brochure cover (1 x 1 crop); and a banner for their web site (960 x 245 pixels). For the presentation, the two images had to be combined as shown.
The "product" is my old sailing foul weather jacket. Then I went nuts with a small spray bottle. I lit this with my Godox strobes and soft-boxes. One was off to camera right, on a stand in portrait. I placed a homemade scrim as close to the jacket as I could. The second strobe and soft-box were mounted on a light boom in landscape mode, as close to the jacket as possible.
My settings for each image were different. Brochure/cover shot:
- 24-70/f2.8 @ 70mm
- 1/125 sec
- 105/f2.8 macro
- 1/60 sec
Other than inserting the two images into a single PS file, there was minimal work. Just levels adjustments; high pass for sharpening. In LR, I tweaked texture and vibrance. I also adjusted the colour balance on the banner. My instructor observed that there can be minor colour variances between zoom and prime lenses.
Oddly enough, another student came up with almost the identical image. Don asked Keith and I if we were channelling each other. He told us that both of our images were "professional quality". I'll let others judge. I do know that I don't "struggle" with assignments nearly as much as I used to.
Thanks for looking, everyone.