US Navy replenishment at sea

5 replies to this topic

#1 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24093 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

I was asked to show some film shots and since I have no negatives from several years of pictures taken in the Navy as my negatives were thrown out because I would send my film home to be developed and for some reason only the prints were kept. These were all taken with a Nikon EM and 50 series E 1.8 lens and I think Kodak Royal Gold ASA200. These were scanned on my new photo/copier/scanner/printer(I will not mention its name but they should stick to printers and copiers :P ) I really like the basic quality of the machine it does alot. The scans are very average and some color cast from years in the box and ofcoarse there is a ton of really bright and dark grey/blue colors. I did some sharpening and resizing in NX but that's all but the prints are still pretty good. They range from 10 years to 20 years these were all taken in 1996 on the USS Mount Baker AE-34 and our blue water turnover with the USS George Washington a very large aircraft carrier and the USS Theodore Roosevelt another very large carrier. This is the GW and the TR approaching to off load and on load weapons just outside the straits of Gibraltar. The TR is going home and us and the GW are just starting our deployment. IMG_0006.jpg These are ammunition loaded onto pallets ready to be lifted in the air and ferried across on a cable connecting the two mammoth ships moving and maneuvering at sea at about 15 knots. This time we had calm seas. IMG_0001.jpg The ammunition is on the way! ;) If you look carefully you will also see a CH46 carrying Ammo to under her belly in a sling she will wheel back and forth for several hours unloading(called Vertrep) as we cable stuff across or Unrep. IMG.jpg Next is a CH53 Sea stallion this is one powerful helo she can go vertical and some say she can loop not that I would want to try. She is to large to land on our flight deck as you can see so she hovers and cables stuff up and down including personal if needed. IMG_0002.jpg A final wave off and another day at sea "Bravo Zulu". B) IMG_0003.jpg Like I said I wish I had the negatives but still you can get an idea of life at sea. Plus these were taken with one of the smallest and cheapest Nikon's the EM that I still have and kicks but! Right Jazz! :lol:

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#2 BVermillion

BVermillion

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guns and Photography.

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:12 PM

Cool pics!! I'll take a pallet of 5.56 please!! My 2500 rds won't last to long. hehe

#3 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:59 AM

Awesome James..The helo shots are really nice. Keep em coming!

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#4 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything thatīs fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:18 AM

Hi Jim, cool shots - like the ones of the CH53 the best (have to admit i love helicopters in general :) ) - thanks for sharing.
Cheers

Virgil

#5 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4447 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:25 AM

Cool stuff, Jim! More please...! Jon
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects
Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photography Instruction

Website / Blog / Portfolio: www.jonhaverstickstudio.com
Email: jon@jonhaverstickstudio.com

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

Professional Memberships:
  • NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
  • WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International)
  • SPS (Student Photographic Society): Educator
  • Nikon Professional Services

#6 mr_adey

mr_adey

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:01 AM

Great pics! Brought back some fond memories. I remember being transferred between two ships via a similar cable system (in the Gulf of Mexico). And, I've ridden CH53s countless times - an awesome helicopter! Adey

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users