5 replies to this topic

#1 Gilly

Gilly

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:14 PM

Hi I have just joined the forum. I was given my new Nikon D3300 for my birthday in March. I am a real novice and struggling a bit. I need to get a zoom lens and I have done some research but not sure if I am making the right decision. I have found a used 70 - 300mm lens in a camera shop for £299, usually £429 new. I used to get really good close up shots with my Olympus Camedia C760 Ultra zoom - I can stand at the gates of Buckingham Palace and get good shots on the balcony - so that is the sort of zoom lens I am looking for.

Can anyone advise me please?

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14342 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

Welcome from Colorado.

I don't know that camera, but a google search showed that it had a 10x optical zoom, equiv to a 42-420mm on 35mm. The D3300 is a DX sensor, a cropped sensor from 35mm or full frame (FF). For Nikon, to get the equivalates on a FF lens, you multiply by 1.5. So 70-300 would be 105-450. So, it might work out.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5295 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

In a word - yes.

In a little more detail - yes - the lens on your C760 offered a 10x optical zoom, the equivalent in 35mm (thats FX in Nikon land) terms of a 42-420mm. The wider zoom on your D3300 will give the equivalent of about 28-80mm (so that wider than you had on the Olympus) while adding the 70-300mm will give the (remember your camera has a smaller DX/cropped sensor so needs multiplying by 1.5x) equivalent to a 105-450mm - or just a little longer than the Olympus had. 

Another thing to consider is your Olympus was ancient with only 3.2MP while you now have 24mp so can crop further into the shot and still maintain a well defined image.

EDIT: Dennis posted at the same time as I did  :D

Edited by Black Pearl, 12 May 2016 - 03:36 PM.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#4 Gilly

Gilly

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:16 PM

Thank you Dennis and Black Pearl. I am new to forums too ha ha , so this is all a learning curve for me.

Black Pearl - I have worked out that it is wider than my Olympus, but when you speak about Dx's' and sensors, i'm afraid it goes over my head ! I don't understand all the different numbers - I have lots of learning to do !!

Ahhh yes the man in the camera shop was trying to explain that to me I think about the cropping into the shot and still maintaining a good image.

So I think I will buy the lens then - the man in the camera shop said the next lenses after that one cost into the £1000's and I really cannot afford that, so this lens at £299 is probably a good price. I have to let them know tomorrow whether I wish then to put it by for me to go and look at it.

Someone else has told me to look out for scratches and mould on used lenses - is there anything else which I should look for?

#5 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5295 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:31 PM

Try it on your camera - not all lenses will auto focus with the D3300 so it's important to check. If it's a Nikon it needs to be an AF-S lens, it will have this on the box and the lens. Other brands will work if they are newer designs, check it works by trying it.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#6 Gilly

Gilly

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:48 AM

Thank you Black Pearl,

I have decided to go and have a look at the lens today and that way my other half will be able to come with me too, because he is not working today. I was also thinking that I should take my camera like you said ... :)

I saw in my camera book that it has to be an AF-S lens, which I think it is - I had a practice with it on one of the shop's cameras last Saturday.

Thank you for all your advice :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users