• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

So, the water levels are still pretty high. There use to be a beach at Sunnyside, now it is mostly submerged up to the boardwalk area. A couple of photos have what appears to be a shadow line running through them. These are breakwaters and they are completely submerged. 

The needle signs you see are nothing new. Toronto beaches (especially Sunnyside and Cherry) have had issues with hypodermic needles, especially in the 80s/90s. People were stepping on them, including children, so the City started putting up warning signs. The problem is twofold:

1) Syringes wash up on shore with the tide and through the sewer systems.

2) There are large populations of heroin users in the neighbourhoods above Sunnyside and Cherry Beach who go down to the beach to shoot up.

These are some shots from this afternoon taken with Nikon D3100 and AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G.

Attached Files

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18535 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

Amazing water levels!

I too went for a quick walk along Humber Bay Shores a few days ago, it is amazing how high the water is.

The volume of the Lake, typically, is 393 cu mi (1,640 km3).  Now, consider, it is up about 2 feet!  I am too lazy to do the math, but it is a huge amount of water!

SignaturePic_zpsfmrwh4ny.jpg

#3 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:49 AM

Art, it's amazing how the water levels affect everything. Usually by now, there would be rentals set up by Sunnyside Cafe (paddle boards, kayaks, etc.); I haven't seen them yet.

Usually people are swimming and tanning on the beach by now, but there's not really any beach to lie on, and no one is in the water.

This is generally a good area to see shorebirds, trumpeter swans, egrets and terns. The breakwaters, which are submerged, have always been full of terns, cormorants, gulls, mallards, geese, etc. There was literally only a couple of pigeons, gulls, barn swallows and sparrows down there. A little east of Palais Royale, a gang of cormorants took over something sticking out of the water; not the 100+ that are usually there. 

Also, many of the other usual water haunts that usually have lots of herons, egrets, etc. are empty (though I did see a green heron at HBPE the other day).

• Art likes this

#4 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5599 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:13 PM

Nice series, Jason.

BC Interior lakes and rivers presently look a lot like that.  It's not bad in Metro Vancouver, although Environment Canada's River Watch Centre has issued a high flow advisory for the Fraser River.  Highest water is expected this weekend.

At least the weather is cooperating, so far.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#5 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:01 PM

Thanks, Mark.

That must be interesting. I've been in the northern interior during storms and flash flood warnings; I found it to be a little intense at times.

The weather has been nice here, too.  :)

#6 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9371 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography and travel

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

Wow, seems you folks have been getting plenty of rain over there.

Nice series, Jason!

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#7 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

Thanks, Herman!  :)

We're getting even more rain tonight and tomorrow...

Attached Files

#8 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21820 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:35 PM

Nice series Jason! Looks like a great place except the sign warning of needles on the beach that would put a damper on my day. 

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#9 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:42 AM

Thanks, Jim! Yeah, it's unfortunate. There use to be needle drop boxes in the area but I think they removed them. I frequently find needles banged into the grass in a lot of the nature places along the waterfront.

#10 CaseyJM

CaseyJM

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Paramedic by trade, Photography by passion, Hunting, Fishing (Bass - bucket mouth or Bronze Backs) Target Shooting, World of Warcraft (my personal getaway), Firearms wood stock refinishing, Action movies

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

Love the skies in the second third and forth ones

_DSC8728-2_zpsxeu0azby.jpgNikon D7200,
Tokina 11-16 F2.8 AT-X Pro, Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron 150-600 F/5.6-6.3 Di VC G2, 
Nikon SB-600,
Pro-Master GH-25 Gimbal, Benro - TRA168[/font][/color]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sunnyside beach, toronto, landscape, west end, nikon d3100, lake ontario

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users