17 replies to this topic

#1 tgjohn

tgjohn

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

Just bought a 1.4x Nikon teleconverter. When I shake gently I hear some movement/noise inside the unit like something is loose. I had an old non Nikon unit which did the same thing. Normal?

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24093 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

I think so both my Kenko TC's do the same thing and I've had them for a year or so with no problems. Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

As Jim said, what you are hearing is normal. The sound is most likely coming from the actuator for the lens stop down mechanism.
Gary in SE Michigan, USA
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15791 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

Yeap... I just got one last summer, walked over and picked it up and it made a noise. I took the cap off and as Gary said, it is the actuator. Just kind of floats around in there.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10766 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

I too, can confirm that the sound you are hearing is perfectly normal. Enjoy your TC! :)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#6 tgjohn

tgjohn

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

I attached the teleconverter to my 300mm f4 lens, put on the D7000 and the AF does not work. Any suggestions?

#7 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10766 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Which model TC and which model 300mm lens? :)

#8 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2765 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything as long as it's outside.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

Don't listen to them. It's broken beyond repair. I need one for parts, I'll give you $25 for it...
D50, D90, D100 IR, D700, D800E and a bunch of old manual lenses..
D70 IR (stolen), D200 (stolen)

#9 tgjohn

tgjohn

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Nikon TC 14E II, Nikkor 300mm F4 AS-S

#10 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10766 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Is it a different model as opposed to the AF-S 300 f/4GED-IF? If so, this could clarify the incompatibility with the TC 14E II. :)

#11 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15791 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Is it not trying, or tries and doesn't find it? The D7000 does not AF with 300/F4D ED and all makes of 17 & 20, but the 14II is ok, according to the book. Are you staying 5.6 and under?

Edited by Dennis, 22 April 2013 - 12:46 PM.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#12 tgjohn

tgjohn

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

According to Nikon and Nasim Mansurov, the combination should work. I do have the latest model TC and 300mm lens. But nothing happens with mine.I sent the TC to the Nikon repair shop so I will let you know.

#13 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22017 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Is your lens set to AF or M? Is your camera set to AF or M? I have the same rig, the shaking noise is normal.
Signature_Line_V4

#14 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4347 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

Is it not trying, or tries and doesn't find it? The D7000 does not AF with 300/F4D ED and all makes of 17 & 20, but the 14II is ok, according to the book.

Are you staying 5.6 and under?

It doesn't?? I thought the D7000 had a focus motor and would focus with ALL Nikkor AF lenses.

Don
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#15 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15791 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

It doesn't?? I thought the D7000 had a focus motor and would focus with ALL Nikkor AF lenses.

Don

Yes, it does have a motor, it's not a motor thing.

On page 273 of the D7000 manual, it shows the combinations of lenses and TC's that will work. For the AF-S 300mm F/4D ED it has note 2; 2 Autofocus not supported when used with AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II/TC-20E II/TC-20E III.

So, for that lens the 1.4x should work.

There are "vague references" with older lenses and AF not "fully functional" with Fstops slower than 5.6 throughout the book. The 1.4x brings that 300/F4 to F5.6, 1.7x brings it to 6.8, and 2x brings it to F8. That is why the 300/2.8 will work with all TC's, according to the book. The newer bodies (D4, D800&e, D600 [I think]) can focus at F8.

Edited by Dennis, 24 April 2013 - 10:53 AM.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#16 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4347 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

Yep yep, you're right. The Nikon AF TCs only work with AFI And AFS lenses. I bought a Tamron 1.4x for just this reason. I wonder if the AF just won't operate or if it will just have trouble locking on. Also, the EOS-3 was supposedly able to AF down to f/8 many years ago. I wonder why Nikon hasn't figured out how to do this(???!!!). Don
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#17 tgjohn

tgjohn

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Well here is an update. I sent the TC to a Nikon service center. They tell me it works fine with their 300mm f 4 AF lens and a D300 camera.So it is coming back. They suggested I reset the camera to factory settings and try again. Any other ideas?

#18 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15791 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

Well... did it try and not find it? Are the contacts clean? Do you live near a Nikon service dealer, might need to take the D300 and have them take a look. At least at a Nikon Store, they can play with differant combinations and try to narrow down where. Any codes sent up when you have it all on camera? Sometimes those are easily missed.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users