15 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan

Jonathan

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

All of the digital images I have made were done in JPEG fine mode. Now I'm considering the TIFF format. The TIFF format seems to offer some advantages over JPEG since it uses "lossless" compression and can be saved again and again without degradation.

#2 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

How about giving RAW a shot. Most of us shoot in RAW because so much more information is captured. We can work the fine details of the photo in RAW. We can then convert to a TIFF or JPEG. RAW and TIF are the preferred format for work in LR or PS. Just my two cents.

#3 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4447 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

Jonathan - don't bother with TIF in camera. They're large files, and really don't offer any significant advantage over JPG in camera. If you want max editability, try the raw file format. J
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects
Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photography Instruction

Website / Blog / Portfolio: www.jonhaverstickstudio.com
Email: jon@jonhaverstickstudio.com

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

Professional Memberships:
  • NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
  • WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International)
  • SPS (Student Photographic Society): Educator
  • Nikon Professional Services

#4 Jonathan

Jonathan

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

RAW sounds really good. Now , I read that with RAW , I would need "special RAW file processing software" that converts the data to a useable format. Also , could my internal camera control options such as contrast control and sharpness be used , or does all that get done later in PS?

#5 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4260 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

Depends on what you use to process your images. If you want your camera settings to show up in RAW, use Nikon Capture NX2 to process your images or at least to preprocess them. PS has a good RAW converter called Adobe Camera RAW (ACR), but it doesn't import your camera setti vs (Vivid, sharpening, etc). I find myself relying less on Nikon Capture and more on ACR as I think ACR does a good job and ive gotten used to using it. Another thing about ACR -- your version of PS must contain the version of ACR that knows about your camera. If you have an old version of PS and you buy a D600, you won't be able to import the D600 image. With NX2, if you buy a new camera, you just download the NX2 update for free. Don

Edited by justshootit, 13 July 2013 - 01:12 AM.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7241 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

I'll join the shoot in RAW chorus, here.

My workflow is:
  • Shoot in RAW
  • Open in Adobe Camera RAW for initial adjustments - a lot of editing software has good RAW conversion tools. Don's last point is a good one if your camera is newer than your Adobe software. However, you can download a program that converts the RAW file to DNG format. The big advantage of RAW is that you can adjust variables such as white balance or exposure. I was displeased with efforts to do that in the JPEG format.
  • Open up main editing software package for further adjustments. I have the Nik software suite as a plug-in to CS5.
  • Only when finished editing, save it as a TIFF file. This takes up slightly less space than a PSD document; and allows you to go back in and make additional edits if you wish.
  • I only use JPEG when I'm having something printed or posting it on the web.
Hope this helps.
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#7 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10324 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

RAW is as the name implies is raw data from what the sensor is able to capture. Subject to the camera model used, RAW can be captured in 12-bit and 14-bit format. The flexibilty of raw data is that it allows considerably more pp handling than jpeg. You can recover way more data than you could have using the jpg format! :)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#8 BadGuy

BadGuy

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:18 AM

My analogy that I like to equate is this:

If you drive a Porsche (or any sports car) and...

1.  Do not go beyond 1st gear = JPG

2.  Go past 1 gear all the way to 6th = RAW

Your camera has so much potential in capturing wonderful images!  Go make use of it!

DSLR - Nikon D610 (swapped with D600 dust/oil issue)
Primes - Nikkors - 20mm f2.8D, 35mm f2D, 50mm 1.8G, Tamron 90mm f2.8
Zoom - Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII

#9 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7022 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:34 PM

Good analogy BG.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21234 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:54 AM

Jonathan,

TIFF format for all practical purposes is not recommended unless you plan on printing images or going to Press.

RAW format is what 99% of photographers use when not using JPG.

By press, I mean:

Flyers
Brochures
Newsletter
Magazine
Billboard etc.

Everyday.... RAW

TIFF files are massive, a pain to store.
Signature_Line_V4

#11 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21234 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:55 AM

loll....I just realized this is an old thread....
Signature_Line_V4

#12 Keith M

Keith M

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:34 AM

DxO Optics Pro is another good choice, 

"First we have to make you pretty"

Pixels are like beans, it doesn't matter how many you put in the pot, it's how well you can cook that counts.

#13 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23589 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:54 PM

Old but still relevant.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#14 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5342 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

Last time the OP visited the forum was July 2013 - also - only the pro bodies have the capability to shoot TIFF in-camera and to be honest its a throw back to early times so not really relevant in any way today.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#15 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23589 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

BP many export TIFFs from the manufactures RAW converters so the in camera settings are baked in so it is relevant to some maybe not you but and that's ok but to others the info maybe helpful.

As far as TIFF files out of the camera not something I would do the files are too big.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#16 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7241 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:10 PM

Good point, Jim, but I lean more towards BP's view.

I shoot RAW out of the camera, but use TIFF in LR or PS. LR imports RAW images in NEF format, but lets me do PP and save images in TIFF format. Same for PS. Plus TIFF saves PS layers and takes less space than the PSD format.

No plans to change this with the new camera; and not sure why camera manufacturers have TIFF as an export option. The D810 has so many other image export options.
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users