• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2513 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:49 AM

l wonder if there's going to be low cost DX mirrorless bodies in the near future with the Z6/Z7 mount? That would be exciting since l love the DX sensor size.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#2 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:02 AM

While it seems that DX would be an automatic choice, Thom Hogan questions whether they make that move.  They probably need to make choices between DX and Nikon CX or 4/3.

The new Z mount already can use DX lenses with the adapter.  I've tested a few and the advantage is the EVF can display the DX sensor view at full size.  But the FX sensor does add cost, and while you can drop the sensor size to a DX crop, it does not save much money.  The body size can't get much smaller, the rear LCD won't get much smaller, and much of the rest is just software.  You probably have to drop the EVF to materially reduce cost and get to a $500-700 price range.  The more likely option is an $1100 DX Z camera, but even that may have to drop features.

Nikon's lenses for the Nikon 1 mirrorless series were quite good.  While it was dropped, the lenses work well for a lower price point and a small mount.  But the price point needs to drop.  The FT1 adapter worked pretty well to allow F-Mount lenses, but the bigger Z mount lenses would be a big challenge due to reduced flange depth.

Even the current 4/3 cameras are losing ground.  Initially they were great as a small alternative to a DSLR.  But the lens kits are not cheap, and the market growth has slowed as others have gone with larger sensors.  Plus for Nikon, this would be completely new and they would not have any real advantage or head start.  It would require a new mount.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#3 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23689 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:44 AM

Nikon can do it Fuji does Eric. Fujis top of the line DX is $1500 and they have two under a $1000 options that both have an excellent EVF. The XT3 rivals anything out there in. DX at 1500 the XT20 is very good as the entry level XT100 all have really good EVFs and Fuji glass is top of the line.

My point is Fuji is not better but Nikon with its clout could make an entry level Z with an EVF kit under a 1000, If Nikon freezes out the D3300 and D5500 buyers they will lose market share. At this point its less about size and more about economics.

Heck Fuji has medium format kits now right at $5100 still out of my range but when have you seen MF at that price and thats with a lens during holiday sales.

Nikon can make an affordable Z they have too, we can talk all we want about how good the 50f1.8 Z is but at its price its still an expensive nifty 50. Nikon needs a line for the everyday family like their D3xxc and D5xxc with a quality low cost lens lineup like the 35 DX 1.8 etc.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23689 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:48 AM

Sorry on my phone tons of typos!

Last thought unless Nikon comes up with a low cost Z FX lineup I do see your point Eric about a new mount, could you make a DX system based off the Z mount?

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21419 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:07 PM

DX Z Body?

Why?

I don't see the point from an economy of scale point of view.  I would throw everything into Z ... Intro .... Mid Range ... semi Pro .... Pro Body.  Z takes all lenses/all brands with ease, you just need the adapter.  I can't see any purpose in supporting legacy footprints.

I see DX and FX evaporating quickly in the next two to three years.

Signature_Line_V4

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7388 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:57 PM

Interesting conversation.  The accuracy of Art's prediction will depend on how Nikon follows up on the Z series.  More lenses and camera bodies will probably bear Art out.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15402 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:54 PM

It will depend on what Nikon will use as a feeder system. Since the current DX shares the current FX F mount, we know that life will be limited. Just don't know when. The Z mount is 17% larger than the F mount. What if they made the sensor 10% larger to support larger photosites and still keep around 45 meg sensor. My math is probably off, but you get the picture. Why put in a DX size sensor in such a large mount?

Maybe, Nikon is working on a DX DSLR that has the Z mount. Or maybe there will be Y bodies with less capable full frame that is down closer to earth, that will take the Z mount lens. It's kind of foggy out there when I comes to DX and feeder systems. All we really know is that; a feeder system going forward will be using a Z mount. The current lenses have an S, maybe there will be non S lenses.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#8 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23689 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:09 PM

DX Z Body?

Why?

I don't see the point from an economy of scale point of view.  I would throw everything into Z ... Intro .... Mid Range ... semi Pro .... Pro Body.  Z takes all lenses/all brands with ease, you just need the adapter.  I can't see any purpose in supporting legacy footprints.

So Art Nikon does not want to sell to lower incomes ie those who buy the D5300 and lower? The Mid range is still not entry level you have to have an entry level or you will lose sales to Fuji and argh Sony.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#9 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:36 AM

DX Z Body?

Why?

But yet there's rumors of a D760. I think they'll still make lesser bodies in FX and DX, just not as many.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users