3 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Paul

Rick Paul

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:23 PM

OK, so my images are being accepted regularly on istockphoto, fotolia, dreamstime, and bigstockphoto. On istock, my images are starting to sell quite well.

So I'm wondering if I'm ready to try shutterstock again. But I'm afraid their acceptance method has me a bit spooked. While I may have 10 technical good pictures (exposure, sharpness, noise), I many not have 10 images they are looking for.

So I'm looking for input. I've posted 23 images here:

http://web.mac.com/r...Paul/stock.html

I would appreciate anyone with experience in selling stock, and particularly shutterstock, to take a look at these images and tell me which ones, if any, you feel would be good candidates to be accepted on the first try.

I'm not asking you to pick the best 10. Only pick ones you feel would get accepted.

I realize these copies are not high enough resolution to judge noise or sharpness, but I'm looking for input on content and general appearance.

Any input, most appreciated.

Visit me on Facebook and Twitter!

#2 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:07 AM

Rick, I have no experience in selling stock, so I am looking at it from an outsiderís point of view. What you need to do is start from the opposite end. Shutterstock is merely a middleman; they have to sell your images on. You have to think who would the photo sell to or be used for? "Photographers shots" don't often sell cat food! Whilst the cactus pictures obviously appeal to me, where would they sell them? If you were thinking of cactus journals well I can tell you they get theirs free from enthusiasts and do not pay for pictures. Magazines to illustrate articles are a possibility, but would there be enough demand to interest Shutterstock? Some of the pictures to me are photographically very competent but the proverbial "backgrounds looking for a subject", the corrugated iron fence for instance. It is possible for that to sell for certain articles but would the demand be enough to be worth Shutterstock keeping it on file? If your shots to other agencies are selling well you should already know what sells. I presume the problem is that Shutterstock sells to a different market? The best way to find what they take is to view their site, plus look for any gaps in their image collection that you feel you could fill. All the best with your submission anyway. Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#3 -Oy-

-Oy-

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:25 PM

It's impossible to judge at that size. Subject / composition / lighting - these look fine to me. But - and with Shutterstock it's a big but - if there is ANY sign of noise at 100% they will reject them. There's a lot of shadow in some of those shots, which is where the evil noise dragon tends to lurk!
Owning a camera makes you a photographer in the same way that owning a guitar makes you a musician.

#4 Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Photography!

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:28 PM

The all look great to me, I can imagine them not having a market for most if not all of the shots. It is certainly possible that at full size they have something I am missing. Good Luck! Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users