• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 M-Theory

M-Theory

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:B&W Photography, Film and Digital Photography, IT, Astronomy, Theoretical Physics, Reading and Movies...

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:07 PM

Ok just wondering...what exactly is "Stock Photography?" Is that the sale of photos people take and then try and sell? Nature shots? People? Buildings? Like is it illegal to take a picture of a bridge in B&W and then put a frame with the caption "Photography by so and so?" Kinda confused...I read a little and thats what it sounded like....lol
Nikon D40
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Autofocus Lens
Nikon NISB600 SB-600 Speedlight
Supreme Flash Diffuser

Pentax K1000
35mm Standard K Mount Lens
55-108mm Standard K Mount Telephoto Lens

#2 Rick Paul

Rick Paul

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:59 PM

I suggest you read Digital Darrell's article on stock photography:

http://www.digitalda...tyFreeStock.asp

Stock photography is all around you in everday life. Ads in magazines, websites, postcards,etc.

Prior to digital photography, stock photography was sold through high-end stock agencies, and were "rights managed".

Digital photography has opened the door to easy distribution of hight quality images through the web. In Royality Free stock photography, images are sold at a lower cost, higher volume, and the sytem is more accessible to a wider range of photographers.

Check out Darrell's article, and read some of the other threads in this section.

Visit me on Facebook and Twitter!

#3 M-Theory

M-Theory

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:B&W Photography, Film and Digital Photography, IT, Astronomy, Theoretical Physics, Reading and Movies...

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

Ahhhh! I see thanks! Can you answer my other question too? About the bridge? Lol..
Nikon D40
Supreme Flash Diffuser

Pentax K1000

#4 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:07 PM

Ok just wondering...what exactly is "Stock Photography?" Is that the sale of photos people take and then try and sell? Nature shots? People? Buildings?

Like is it illegal to take a picture of a bridge in B&W and then put a frame with the caption "Photography by so and so?"

Kinda confused...I read a little and thats what it sounded like....lol

Normally, it is perfectly legal to take a picture of a bridge or building and even sell the images. The only time it is a problem is if the object is trademarked, like with the lighting arrangement on the Eiffel Tower. It is legal to photograph the tower during the day, and could even be used commercially, but NOT at night, since the lighting arrangement is trademarked.

If you can shoot the image from public property, the owners have no reason to expect privacy for a building or bridge. If you shoot from Private Property, there could be some problems.

If a visible trademark, like Ford or Chevy or Nikon is in the image, it is not usable for anything other than editorial usage, except for some basic "fair-use" stuff, like if you were shooting a movie and a McDonalds happened to be on the street you were driving down in the movie. McDonalds could not sue you and win, unless you were somehow defaming their brand in your image.

If you are paranoid, get a Property Release from the owners.
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#5 M-Theory

M-Theory

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:55 PM

Ahh I see. So lets say I stop on the road on the side of the road somewhere and take a picture of a farm and some guy comes out yelling at me and asks me to not take pictures. Could I see the picture of his farm? Or use the picture as part of my work? Thats another question I had in my head. Like if I take images from the road or something like that can anyone do anything to me? What exactly do I have to do to get into selling my images? I would be very interested. I could load all my other darkroom stuff also. You might like a few of them. There a specific thing I should be reading about it on this forum?
Nikon D40
Supreme Flash Diffuser

Pentax K1000

#6 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:01 PM

To shoot from a public place into private property is usually ok. Buildings have no expectation of privacy.

However, if a man came out yelling not to take pictures of his place, I don't think I would, nor would I sell the prints.

You cannot shoot a picture of someone in their backyard sunning themselves, as they have an expectation of privacy. If they are mowing their front yard they have no expectation of privacy, and you can legally shoot their image. But, most agencies won't accept the image without a model release.

Read my article here, and at the bottom are links to agencies that want your images today:

http://www.digitalda...tyFreeStock.asp
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users