• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Photography
    Website Design
    Nature
    Wild Life

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

1. I am still trying to grasp how to set up my D2x so I get the exposure shifted toward the right of the histogram to reduce noise as DD suggests. When I do move it to the right the shutter speed gets too slow for my purpose. 2. B) Is it possible to produce the shift needed during post processing in capture NX2? Thanks.

D600
SB-800x2
SB-80
Nikon 28-105 f3.5-4.5
Tamron 200-500
Tamron 70-200 F2.8
Nikon 50mm F1.8
Tamron 60mm Macro
Nikon 24-85 F3.5-5.6
Photoshop Elements 10
Capture NX2
Photo Mechanic
Neat Image
Photomax Pro 3

#2 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4447 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

The idea is to "slightly" overexpose in camera. If you try to increase exposure in post production, you tend to exacerbate whatever noise is there. If you're shooting manual exposure, a couple options come to mind: 1. Open the aperture a stop or two until your exposure meter shows slightly over-exposed 2. Increase the ISO 3. Decrease shutter speed. You're using flash for the hummers, and that's what freezes the wingbeat...not your shutter speed. 4. increase your flash output (not much, though...the lower output level = shorter flash duration, and better wing freezage). If you're shooting aperture priority: dial in + exposure compensation. J
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects
Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photography Instruction

Website / Blog / Portfolio: www.jonhaverstickstudio.com
Email: jon@jonhaverstickstudio.com

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

Professional Memberships:
  • NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
  • WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International)
  • SPS (Student Photographic Society): Educator
  • Nikon Professional Services

#3 Richard

Richard

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
    Photography
    Website Design
    Nature
    Wild Life

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

Thanks Jon. Regarding: "If you're shooting aperture priority: dial in + exposure compensation." Is exposure compensation only effective in aperture priority?

D600
SB-800x2
SB-80
Nikon 28-105 f3.5-4.5
Tamron 200-500
Tamron 70-200 F2.8
Nikon 50mm F1.8
Tamron 60mm Macro
Nikon 24-85 F3.5-5.6
Photoshop Elements 10
Capture NX2
Photo Mechanic
Neat Image
Photomax Pro 3

#4 Neil Rothschild

Neil Rothschild

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife and action, nature, macro, general photography. I try to mix it up.

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

Thanks Jon.
Regarding: "If you're shooting aperture priority: dial in + exposure compensation." Is exposure compensation only effective in aperture priority?

You can do the same in Shutter Priority or Program mode, to the same effect.

#5 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4082 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

I think you're experiencing that old adage that "there's no such thing as a free lunch." When you shift the exposure to the right (given a fixed ISO), you need to either open up the aperture and get a shallower DOF, or slow the shutter and get possible motion blur. The answers to this depend upon what you're shooting. If your subjects don't move, you can use a tripod and a long exposure with long exposure NR turned on. If you must shoot handheld, then VR lenses will help. If the subject IS moving, you must keep your shutter speed up, you're limited to opening up the aperture or cranking up the ISO. Opening up the aperture can result in more OOF shots because your subject may move out of the shallow DOF between the time you lock focus and the time the shutter releases. If you can crank up the ISO, you can deal with the noise to an extent in PP. LR does a good job of removing chrominance noise, and this can eliminate most of the offensive look of noise. Removing luminance noise, however, is more problematic -- too much luminance noise reduction, and you start to soften the photo visibly. The other option is to shoot with a camera that has better high-ISO response like the D700. You might rent a D700 to see if it solves your problem. Don

Edited by justshootit, 09 August 2010 - 03:45 PM.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#6 Richard

Richard

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
    Photography
    Website Design
    Nature
    Wild Life

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Neil, Don, all. Hey all--I just got accepted at ALAMY! :D

Edited by Richard, 09 August 2010 - 03:48 PM.

D600
SB-800x2
SB-80
Nikon 28-105 f3.5-4.5
Tamron 200-500
Tamron 70-200 F2.8
Nikon 50mm F1.8
Tamron 60mm Macro
Nikon 24-85 F3.5-5.6
Photoshop Elements 10
Capture NX2
Photo Mechanic
Neat Image
Photomax Pro 3

#7 Nikon Mike

Nikon Mike

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1713 posts
  • Interests:Oil painting, watercolors, photography, history and genealogy.

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

Or by a used D80. They seem to overexpose naturally. :lol:
Mike

D90
D80
N70
18-105mm AF DX
28mm f/2.8 AF
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G DX
55-200mm f/4-5.6G DX
Olympus Stylus 800

#8 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4447 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

Thanks Jon.
Regarding: "If you're shooting aperture priority: dial in + exposure compensation." Is exposure compensation only effective in aperture priority?

As Neil mentioned, it works for shutter priority as well. Sorry... I never shoot in shutter priority, so it didn't occur to me!

J
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects
Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photography Instruction

Website / Blog / Portfolio: www.jonhaverstickstudio.com
Email: jon@jonhaverstickstudio.com

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

Professional Memberships:
  • NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
  • WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International)
  • SPS (Student Photographic Society): Educator
  • Nikon Professional Services

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users