#1 gophillies74

gophillies74

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:39 PM

Has anyone used both? comments?

Just found a used D3s with 4k shutter actuations...$2200. Currently have a D750...can't afford both

Had a D700, loved it..lots.. Liked it even better with the grip which is what I believe the D3s is.

I like to shoot concerts..D3s supposedly shines in low light. D750 supposedly does too but the files never really blew me away.

D3s is heavier...that's fine, its built for forever.

megapixels megashmixels? Aren't there enough plugins to blow up even lower mp pics to giant prints?

D3s also a "pro" body, built for abuse and ultra high shutter count

any comments welcome..thanks

Edited by gophillies74, 06 July 2015 - 04:41 PM.

#2 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything that΄s fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:34 AM

I know both the one (D3s) I own, the other one i had a testrun. If the most signification features of the D750 are not important for you (and by what you mentioned it seems to be like that) go for this low-milage D3s by any means but don´t get caught by the "pro" label of the D3s. Even a D750 (or any other Nikon DSLR) can take a lot of abuse before it breaks and pro is what pro´s use to make money (not necessarily what vendors say it is). Personally, i don´t like the new bodies from their picture processing to start with (the D3-Series comes close to what I´m used to coming from the D2-Series). I also don´t like the very narrow arrangement of the AF Points. But most nagging for me is the small body with battery grip vs a body made in one piece. I tried that when i used the D300 and it simply didn´t feel right somehow. I tried it again with the D7xxx and came to the same conclusion - but that´s me, YMMV.

Cheers

Virgil

#3 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

Has anyone used both? comments?

Just found a used D3s with 4k shutter actuations...$2200. Currently have a D750...can't afford both

Had a D700, loved it..lots.. Liked it even better with the grip which is what I believe the D3s is.

I like to shoot concerts..D3s supposedly shines in low light. D750 supposedly does too but the files never really blew me away.

D3s is heavier...that's fine, its built for forever.

megapixels megashmixels? Aren't there enough plugins to blow up even lower mp pics to giant prints?

D3s also a "pro" body, built for abuse and ultra high shutter count

any comments welcome..thanks

I recently swapped all my Nikon DSLR bodies out for (2)D3  bodies but in particular I found a D3s for approx $1500 in a bid war. I absolutely love  the D3 bodies but the D3s really shines as an even better low light eater. I also agree on the MP wars. Unless you need  the higher levels of detail then 12MP will work for most of us. Good Luck on deciding...

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#4 gophillies74

gophillies74

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for all the great responses. Basically decided to cool my jets. The D3s is a great camera and there will always be one to be found refurbished or otherwise. No need to make it happen right this second.....now to repeat that to myself 10 times.

#5 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:51 PM

Hi There,

Like you, I have a D700, it is info repair along with the grip at the moment,

To cut a short story long, Ive had the D700 since it was launched, when the D700 grip failed on the last birding trip away, the wife asked me if I would ever replace the D700,

I said that I would upgrade to a D4s in the near future but repair the D700 first as I could not pass it on unless it was in perfect condition

When I was out shooting that day, the wife ordered the D4s for me and was ready for pick-up when I returned

So, I guess it all depends what your shooting is all about, I find myself always shooting either early morning or very late in the afternoon and low light

shooting BIF, not always but thats my main need, along with grandkids sporting events

Don't need all those pixels and with the big pixel shooting comes storage and handling those huge files

And the management of batteries in the grip is a pain, along with that extra purchase for the grip

If I had the cash flow, I would get both, that is, D4s/D810 combo for the best of both worlds, but I can only justify one body

Like you, I was searching for low shutter count D4 cameras, came across a lot but no low shutter count but couldn't find one

If you hang out for a D4, there is a giant leap in technology, D4 to D4s, not so much

Lastly, remember, glass lasts forever, bodies come and go

.......Gary

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users