• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23522 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:04 AM

I know the dreaded clear protective filter discussion. So why am I bringing it up well when I got my Fuji XE2 kit with the 18-55 f2.8-4 lens it came with it a Fuji branded Super EBC(Electronic Beam Coating the same one on their lens) after some reviews these filters have an excellent reputation for no flare and no loss of IQ. So I did a few test some pixel peeping and from what I can tell they are telling the truth. Now to buy them they are on the expensive side they cost more than most top end Hoya and B&W filters they are more online with Nikon's filters most run north of $60 unless you get a sale. I also did the hand held reflection test looking thru them and at light reflection and it passed as the ceiling lights disappear as they should plus my white lights when looked at as a reflection in the filter are green as a MC filter should be so they seem to be of high quality.

Now let me take this one step farther I am not usually a protective filter guy unless I am around salt water or other abrasive environments. The coatings on our lens can and will rub off. I have a friend who is an eye glass technician and he applies coatings to top end eyeglasses and he will tell you they will rub off. Add that to the fact that the Nikon tech who services our microscopes complains that we are rubbing the Nikon coatings off the microscope due to the constant cleaning. So yes getting a lens dirty and cleaning often does wear on the coatings.

So I decided to try and do some harsh testing I might have gone to far since I had to shoot at ISO 6400 in a dark hallway with two lights and some harsh light at the end of the hallway. I had to shoot at 1/6 of a sec and I hand held but here are the shots one with the filter one without. Then I did a 100% crop might be a bit more to be honest and since I underexposed they are a tad noisy. I did not sharpening or exposure correction, so can you tell which one has the filter?

Now I was looking for flare and reflection issues from what I can tell there is none. Plus I really don't see any loss of contrast or detail.  I will do an outside one with the sun this weekend to complete my thoughts but please look and comment. Trust me this is more of a study than a debate and I would like input good bad and indifferent.

Photo #1

Attached File  _DSF1189-3.jpg   222.36KB   0 downloads

Photo #1 Crop

Attached File  _DSF1189-2.jpg   287.98KB   0 downloads

Photo #2

Attached File  _DSF1190-2.jpg   226.17KB   0 downloads

Photo #2 Crop

Attached File  _DSF1190-3.jpg   308.99KB   0 downloads

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6977 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:40 AM

Very much the same to me Jim....

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users