Photo

Monthly Challenge Question

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Opinions on the Monthly Challenge (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like the Monthly Challenge to be a contest?

1. Yes, I would like the Monthly challenge to be a contest. (8 votes [72.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. No, I like the Monthly Challenge as it is, just fun, no judging. (3 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

If you want a contest, how would you like the winner chosen?

1. From a panel of judges only. (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. From a combination of judges and member voting. (5 votes [45.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

3. From member votes only. (5 votes [45.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

Are you happy with the monthly Challenge or would you like to see another format? Currently, it is designed to just get you to post images primarily to keep the dust off the camera. Would you like to see it turn into a contest monthly contest? Darrell, can you turn VOTING ON for only one forum? Please feel free to comment, the more comments and discussion the better.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#2 Mr Gladstone

Mr Gladstone

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Picture Framing. Digital Photography. Music. Walking.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:11 AM

I would actually prefer it if we had both kinds of monthly challenge. One contest and another to just get people out and shooting.
Tom.
Nikon D7000.
Nikkor 35mm f1.8 G.
Nikkor 80 - 200 f4 AI-S
Nikkor 85mm f3.5 Micro VR
Sigma 10-20 f4

My Website

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

I would actually prefer it if we had both kinds of monthly challenge. One contest and another to just get people out and shooting.

Missed this one, I like it!

#4 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19460 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

I like it because, it makes you use a camera or two. Not much on the who won, but looking at the great looking pics is awesome.Posted Image

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#5 chaswes5

chaswes5

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8416 posts
  • Interests:Macs, photoshop, portraits and photographing ordinary life. I enjoy taking candid shots then developing them into something more than a snap shot.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

I am against the contest idea. Judging is subjective and therefore we run the risk of offending lots of folks and losing membership. Probably, like many of you, I have seen photos posted that, in my opinion were not worthy of day light. I know this because I have posted a few myself. But on the other hand, these same photos are given accolades by others. NO CONTEST because we have no objective way to judge. I always harken back to a photo contest I entered a few years ago: A photo of a 7-10 year old fishing on a pier. Under exposed by two stops and out of focus, poorly presented and it won 2nd place. I asked one of the judges about why she voted for it: It was cute is all I got. BTW, there was objective criteria for this contest. Go Figure !
Charles Wesley

Nikon D800 and D700 and some lenses. Sony NEX 7 with 18-55 Kit Lens.

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!” ― Ted Grant I try never to fool myself that just pointing a camera at something makes it art. Or that snapping the shutter makes me an artist."

Don Giannatti

Gallery:http://wesleyphotography.zenfolio.com/

#6 Mr Gladstone

Mr Gladstone

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

I think that a contest could be pretty constructive for people actually. As long as the follow-up to the comp is carried through properly ie, examples of what people liked/didn't like about the image, how the image could be improved, that sort of thing. Its true that judging these things is subjective but a Planet poll to decide the winner should give a fairly rounded view of whats good and whats not. As for people getting offended, participation is not compulsory!
Tom.
Nikon D7000.
Nikkor 35mm f1.8 G.
Nikkor 80 - 200 f4 AI-S
Sigma 10-20 f4

My Website

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

I like it because, it makes you use a camera or two. Not much on the who won, but looking at the great looking pics is awesome.Posted Image

This is exactly what Cliff and I try to do each month with the Challenge, put something up that everyone can participate in and entertain the rest of us with some awesome images. The Monthly Challenge is always broad scoped enough so everyone can post an image. So far, we have been getting some amazing participation by all members, new and old.

We can keep doing this and not change it.

Charles, I hear you! I agree with all you say. My reason for thinking this one up was to introduce a higher level of Challenge. Something to allow PN to showcase the best of some of our members unbelievable photographs! My yardstick for good photos are typically the Editor's Choice photos on http://500px.com/editors.

I know exactly what you mean when it comes to judging as you mention. I guess the key is to get a good panel of judges and combo it with member voting.

Anyway, I thought this might be worth discussing.

#8 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14458 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

Well... maybe if we can make the challenges a bit more. Like instead of just using a type of lens, add more to it. Like using a 50mm, take a portrait of a person. So, in addition to taking a pic, we also have a technique to work on. Then maybe how each were able to perform the technique, there are always several way to skin a cat. Then, maybe via a voting thing at the end of the year, 12 shots can be chosen and made into a calendar. The 12 chosen get it for free, while members pay $10 or so. That money can go to support the site. The calendar can even be sold to outside the group, for maybe $15, again, a way to generate support for the forum. Having 12 winners seems more fair for all (considering the points Charles brings up) as there is not just one overall person. Just my two cents.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#9 Mr Gladstone

Mr Gladstone

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Well... maybe if we can make the challenges a bit more. Like instead of just using a type of lens, add more to it. Like using a 50mm, take a portrait of a person. So, in addition to taking a pic, we also have a technique to work on. Then maybe how each were able to perform the technique, there are always several way to skin a cat.

Then, maybe via a voting thing at the end of the year, 12 shots can be chosen and made into a calendar. The 12 chosen get it for free, while members pay $10 or so. That money can go to support the site. The calendar can even be sold to outside the group, for maybe $15, again, a way to generate support for the forum. Having 12 winners seems more fair for all (considering the points Charles brings up) as there is not just one overall person.

Just my two cents.

Really good thinking there Den! I like it!
Tom.
Nikon D7000.
Nikkor 35mm f1.8 G.
Nikkor 80 - 200 f4 AI-S
Sigma 10-20 f4

My Website

#10 Donna

Donna

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, reading, knitting, cooking/baking, exploration with my family..

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

My concern is that if a certain lens is chosen to use as the months challenge, everyone may not have that lens. I know I don't have many to choose from. I like having comments on photo's that I post. Not just "I like it"... I won't get better if I don't know what I am doing wrong or could improve on. I know that not all of what I post is spectacular so a comment on how to make it better would be greatly appreciated. I like the idea of a calendar. There are some really great shots posted here.
I'm shooting with the D7100 and D60 as my back up.

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tiffen UV Protector
Tiffen Circular Polarizer

#11 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Are you happy with the monthly Challenge or would you like to see another format? Currently, it is designed to just get you to post images primarily to keep the dust off the camera.

Would you like to see it turn into a contest monthly contest?

Darrell, can you turn VOTING ON for only one forum?

Please feel free to comment, the more comments and discussion the better.

I'm not sure what you mean? Voting in what sense?
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

I'm not sure what you mean? Voting in what sense?

If you look at the bottom right of the screen, you will see a "+" and a "-", when you hover your cursor over the buttons, it says Vote This Post UP (+) or Vote this Post DOWN (-). The zero (0) next to the Green and Red buttons most likely is a TALLY. I assume members can only vote once.

I assume, if this feature is turned on, you can vote on the post on whether you like it or not. Other similar Nikon sites have this type of function. In PHP type websites, you can have your support person turn these features on or add features to the site.

It would be nice, if we had a voting challenge, for the members to be able to cast their vote. If you need an example of a site, PM me and I will forward a link.

Edited by Art, 11 October 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#13 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

My concern is that if a certain lens is chosen to use as the months challenge, everyone may not have that lens. I know I don't have many to choose from.

I like having comments on photo's that I post. Not just "I like it"... I won't get better if I don't know what I am doing wrong or could improve on. I know that not all of what I post is spectacular so a comment on how to make it better would be greatly appreciated.

I like the idea of a calendar. There are some really great shots posted here.

I really like the idea of a Calendar, that would be very cool!

I don't really like to have Challenges that narrow the participation. For example, this months Challenge is WIDE ANGLE lenses. I didn't want to say, " Only those with 24mm lenses". I said 55mm and down. This opens it up to almost everyone as most of us have a kit lens, or a standard 50mm lens or less.

To ask for Macro images with only 105mm lens submissions would eliminate most of the PN membership and I don't find this type of Challenge in keeping with the spirit of full participation to all.

I would prefer the Challenges to be more specific to forcing people to learn from their experience. Like portrait work, or light specific, etc. If we were to do contests, I would like them to be the same, open ended, but a step up in difficulty, yet open to all members to try. Learning and having fun is the underlining theme in this.

I am not big on fees, however, if printing a calendar is involved, I am happy to do something like this. I have years of printing experience and lots of printer contacts and would be happy to channel some energy towards this. I am sure Darrell has his share of contacts as well.

If Darrell can get a voting feature turned on for PN, then we can give this a shot, if for no other reason than to try it out.

Edited by Art, 11 October 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#14 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9908 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

Vote casted! :)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#15 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14458 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

I didn't want to say, " Only those with 24mm lenses". I said 55mm and down. This opens it up to almost everyone as most of us have a kit lens, or a standard 50mm lens or less.

To ask for Macro images with only 105mm lens submissions would eliminate most of the PN membership and I don't find this type of Challenge in keeping with the spirit of full participation to all.

You missed understood. You don't need a 50mm prime lens to shoot 50mm, most kits have zooms and can be set to 50mm. So, in my example it would be normal lens (which would be 35-55 depending on DX/FX) and portrait. Just like your wide angle, shoot wide. My point was having more to the challenge than just shoot a picture. Other challenges can be shoot wide open for short DOF. My point is to have something to build a technique, not limit anyone. The still life was a technical challenge, and even sparked conversations to determine what a still life actually was. I would think, a challenge would help to build composition skills, or I could have just taken a picture of a wall with my 16mm and still be valid for the challenge. But, I would not have learned anything. Wouldn't that be what voting was for? Not only to take a shot, but to be a good shot, composition and all the rest that make a good image? Again, just my opinion.

Edited by Dennis, 11 October 2012 - 01:08 PM.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#16 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

You missed understood. You don't need a 50mm prime lens to shoot 50mm, most kits have zooms and can be set to 50mm. So, in my example it would be normal lens (which would be 35-55 depending on DX/FX) and portrait. Just like your wide angle, shoot wide. My point was having more to the challenge than just shoot a picture. Other challenges can be shoot wide open for short DOF. My point is to have something to build a technique, not limit anyone. The still life was a technical challenge, and even sparked conversations to determine what a still life actually was. I would think, a challenge would help to build composition skills, or I could have just taken a picture of a wall with my 16mm and still be valid for the challenge. But, I would not have learned anything. Wouldn't that be what voting was for? Not only to take a shot, but to be a good shot, composition and all the rest that make a good image? Again, just my opinion.

Perfect!

I especially like the DoF example. This is absolutely, a perfect example of what a Challenge should have. Really, come to think of it, the Challenges should really be treated as Workshops.

DoF control is one example
Lighting and shadows is another example
Composition, drawing the eye to different parts of the picture another example etc

All these are excellent Workshop/Challenge techniques you can learn from. I like it!!

Great post, Dennis!! :)

#17 Lscha

Lscha

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

The plus and minus buttons have never worked for me. I always get a message that I can't do that because I have reached my quota.
Laura
Posted Image
18mm-55mm
55mm-300mm
My link
My other link

#18 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

The plus and minus buttons have never worked for me. I always get a message that I can't do that because I have reached my quota.

They are not turned on. The feature isn't available and that is the set system response for everyone.

#19 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

I was thinking about something Cliff posted about the word Contest. He said it implies a prize for the win.

Perhaps, a Competition would be a better way to describe it?

#20 zapfrog

zapfrog

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

I am against the contest idea. Judging is subjective and therefore we run the risk of offending lots of folks and losing membership. Probably, like many of you, I have seen photos posted that, in my opinion were not worthy of day light. I know this because I have posted a few myself. But on the other hand, these same photos are given accolades by others. NO CONTEST because we have no objective way to judge. I always harken back to a photo contest I entered a few years ago: A photo of a 7-10 year old fishing on a pier. Under exposed by two stops and out of focus, poorly presented and it won 2nd place. I asked one of the judges about why she voted for it: It was cute is all I got. BTW, there was objective criteria for this contest. Go Figure ! I disagree with this. As part of the NECC and our monthly contests we are judged when we submit an entry and depending on the judge we may or may not like the outcome. At least with our judges they explain why they gave or took away points and always stick around to answer questions. And they never say "It's cute" they always give constructive critizim.

Edited by zapfrog, 18 October 2012 - 11:16 AM.

#21 Bradheydon

Bradheydon

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, Music. Guitars.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

I like the idea of a contest/comp (what ever you want to call it, all photography is subjective, and it basically all comes down to each individuals opinion of the photo anyway) it also gives an idea of what people all over PN like, and what appeals to our different tastes, Id be really interested to see how many people voted for one of my pics verses another one,(even if its another one of mine) I dont think anyone should get offended if someone else doesnt like their photo, if "you" like it, then its not "wrong" but could be a good opportunity to work on your style anyway, my 2 cents :-)
Current Gear
Bodies: D7000, D70, F3, F90X, FUJI TX-1
Lens: MF nikkor 50mm 1:1.2, MF nikkor 28mm 1:2.8,
MF micro-nikkor 55mm 1:3.5, MF 80-200 zoom, AF Nikkor 50mm 1.8G, AF VR-Nikkor 80-400mm, AF nikkor 28-105mm, AF 18-70mm
Flash: Speedlight SB-28

My link

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users