3 replies to this topic

#1 Islander

Islander

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:40 AM

British Columbia is on fire right now and in a state of emergency and we on Vancouver Island are certainly not exempt. We've had two fires very near our home in the last two days which thankfully were put out within two days. We are also getting tons of smoke from the interior of the province where there are multiple major fires.
It's been awhile now since we've been able to see blue in the sky, just a sickly yellow colour. Tonight's moon is burning through the smoke giving this reddish glow and loss of fine detail.
We are so thankful to the many men and women out there on the fire lines including those from Ontario, Australia, Mexico and the United States. These extra firefighters are giving our BC personnel much needed help and the ability to get some much needed rest. It has been a long summer for many of them with little respite in the foreseeable future.

Attached File  sm DSD_9138.jpg   219.76KB   0 downloads

Edited by Islander, 08 August 2017 - 12:49 AM.

GORDON

p1092005242.png

Nikon D800, D300, D200, D70

500mm F4, 80-400VR

12-24DX, 24-70 F2.8FX, 18-70DX, 16-85DX, 16-35FX

and a bunch of other stuff...

#2 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:41 AM

Neat image!!

During the San Diego fires in 2003, the air was this shade of yellow, and it was "snowing" ash. It was eerie. One of the guys at a camera shop in Costa Mesa mentioned something about not getting the memo that the world was coming to an end...

Edited by justshootit, 08 August 2017 - 09:22 AM.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:32 PM

I noticed the moon, last night, Gordon.  I wondered if someone would get some good shots.  You did!  :)

As for the firefighters, I'd like to echo what Gordon said:  Many thanks to all of you. 

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#4 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1125 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:23 PM

Great shot Gordon. Stay safe. I have a cousin in Smithers who runs a tree planting business. I guess she will be extra busy once the fires are out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users