• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2472 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:30 PM

I got to Arthur Storey Park about 7:30am. Keep in mind the lighting was terrible. Even 1-2 hours after sunrise the overcast was so heavy it looked almost like twilight. So I don't think the lens had a fair chance to reach it's potential in today's lighting. Even with VC(VR)my shaky hands needed to hike up the ISO and shoot several shots and pick the sharpest one at longer focal lengths. I slightly over exposed most images because they looked dull and lifeless. So far I'm really impressed with the lens. AF was accurate even at 300mm. Looks like AF fine tune will not be necessary. And AF was fairly quick in the low light. There is some color fringing, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be based on the reviews and sample images I looked at. Much better than some of the old lenses that purple fringe like crazy. Another plus is no vignetting with my "fat" polarizer at 16mm. I don't need to buy a slim polarizer. The rounded aperture blades allow out of focus highlights to stay round stopped down 2 stops. I deleted my test images of the put of focus highlights(forgot that I would want to post them here lol). I'll post more later. The distortion correction on my D7100 is grayed out with this lens on. And that makes sense since the D7100 was released before this lens. But it also doesn't work with the Tokina 12-24 so Nikon bodies may not activate distortion correction with 3rd party lenses. If anyone knows please post here. Sharpness at longer focal lengths such as 200-300 decreases, especially in the corners but it's not too bad. Most of the time at 300mm it's a wildlife shot that needs to be cropped anyway. Here are a few from the park. For the water shot, I didn't have the 10 stop ND so I used the multiple exposure feature on the D7100 and stopped down for the slowest shutter speed available, and the camera takes up to 3 images and stacks them. The widllife shots are cropped a little.

Attached Files

Edited by LightMeter, 01 January 2017 - 10:31 PM.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#2 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2472 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

I haven't done any serious close ups with it, but the ruler shot reveals what kind of crop at 300mm at min focus distance. There's about 3.5 inches working distance at these settings. This lens focus breathes bad at 300mm, so it's probably about 150-200 at min focus distance. I take wrist shots of my wacthes for the daily WRUW(What are you wearing)threads on the Watchuseek site. With the Nikon 18-135, I had to mount the Nikon 6T close up lens for the wrist shots. But with the Tamron 16-300, just set it to 40mm and it focuses close enough. The old Seiko is the one I inherited from my Grandfather.

Overall, the lens is a keeper. Good build quality, metal mount, and focus distance scale are huge upgrades from my 18-135. Not much wobble in the barrel when it's zoomed all the way. VC and AF/MF switches are solid. It has MF override when in AF mode and that's nice. And there's a lock switch to lock it at 16mm, but it's not necessary-no zoom creep.

Later when the lighting is better I'll take more images and post them here.

Attached Files

Bill

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#3 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23396 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:11 PM

Looks good so far Bill and congrats!

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20878 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:00 AM

A very interesting series, Bill. Excellent initial impressions.

Signature_Line_V4

#5 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6915 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:24 AM

Looks like a useful lens Bill, I don't think Nikon will produce distortion corrections for any non-Nikon lens... the best you could expect would be if LR or Photoshop provided something.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#6 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

I really like the first image on top.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#7 winclk

winclk

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1807 posts
  • Interests:Photography and Grandkids

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

Nice series, Bill. Congrats on the lens.

Robin

Amateur Photographer--Hoping to upgrade my status one day

#8 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10257 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation (Airbus series), nature, photography and travel

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

Looking good, Bill!

Enjoy your new acquisition...

:rolleyes:

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#9 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6975 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:12 PM

Congrats, Bill.

Tamron and Sigma are giving Nikon a serious run for their money.  Or perhaps I should say MY money.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#10 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2472 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:26 AM

I made a few more test shots. It did well with flare with the sun in the frame at 38 and 200mm. The flashlight shots are at 16 and 300mm. It didn't do well with the flashlight, but I'd say that was a harsh test.

The rounded aperture blades let you stop down a little and keep out of focus highlights round. The Christmas tree shots were at 70mm, where the max aperture is f/5.3. The images are f/7.1 and f/9. Even at f/9 the highlights are still almost round-the polygon shape is not too apparent.

Attached Files

Bill

#11 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2472 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:38 AM

Here are a couple of macro shots at 300mm. I ran some tests and the focus breathing is worse than I thought. I actually got a tighter crop at the same distance with the Nikkor 105 2.5 and ext tubes than the Tamron at 300mm on the shots I got inside(not posted here). For the leaf shot the front of the lens was about 2 feet from the subject. And the dew on the bench shot was at closest focus distance-3.5 inches from the subject.

I went back to the park to shoot the pelicans since the light was much better today. At 300mm the lens is a good performer except at the corners. Here's a 100% crop of a pelican from the center of the frame.

Attached Files

Bill

#12 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2472 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:40 AM

Here's the zoom range-16mm and 300mm.

Attached Files

Bill

#13 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2472 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:53 AM

The focus breathing on this is extreme at 300mm. I made a video of it.

Bill

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users