• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22384 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 02 May 2020 - 10:26 PM

Henrys Camera Stores, the biggest in Canada, in business since 1909, is flinging for bankruptcy protection!

A big restructuring is in the works, lots of store closures!

This is a sign and taste of the future due to this donkey-hat virus!

https://www.freshdai...dhkEGwmwiX2pyng
Signature_Line_V4

#2 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24229 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:15 AM

Dang this is so sad we lost our last store 5 years ago. I hate the loss of the brick and mortar camera stores its a sad result of the times and Covid 19 thing has not helped either.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7716 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 03:10 AM

Sad times... my Photo & Video are still hanging in there... offering click & collect.. or deliveries( couriers allowed to deliver now) to keep the business alive now that some trading is allowed in Level 3 lockdown.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#4 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11092 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 03 May 2020 - 03:54 AM

Sad situation indeed!

So many business sectors are being challenged. Just glad I'm out of the rat race...

😟

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#5 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8247 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:52 PM

I agree, Art.

I feel very bad for the staff in the Coquitlam store.  They were always very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.  The silver lining in this is that it looks like the Vancouver store will remain open - if I want a 45 minute drive.

I also wonder how many other businesses will have to make similar, tough decisions?  Sadly, I think Henry's will have lots of company in this category. 

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#6 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3663 posts
  • Interests:I have been doing this for over forty years. My wife approves and most times goes with me on assignments. I do photojournalism for a media group that has 11 newspapers around the Nashville, TN area. I am a NPS member.

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:57 PM

In Nashville we pay sales tax of 9.25. We have no income tax. So, if I bought a D6 6500. across the counter, I pay 600.00 tax. Until my online store begins charging TN tax, I pretty much have to go with them. I have purchased lenses at my local store. When I buy from Roberts online, there will be a filter packed with the lens or memory chips with a camera body. Are they doing that to keep my business?

I am sorry Henry's is going. Its always a fun trip to the camera store to look at the used lenses and trying to justify why I need one more.

Edited by fotofill, 03 May 2020 - 07:00 PM.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22384 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 03 May 2020 - 09:13 PM

Over the years, I have brought them $1,000's of dollars in sales and lots of referrals as well. They are a good outfit, I have nothing negative over the years to say about them.  I am sorry they are in financial trouble.

I am not really sure 100% where this will lead.  1/4 of the stores closing...roughly and they are getting protection from creditors, I guess.  I have lost touch with corporation laws over the years.

This is also bad on other levels.  This is Nikon Canada's biggest customer!!!  If they do go down, what ever Accounts Payable they owe to Nikon is GONE!

Also, if they stay afloat, things don't necessarily get easier.

The COVID thing has killed PHOTOGRAPHY! 

No events

No gatherings

No portraits

No ANYTHING

So, even if they stayed open, NO SALES because no one is making any money.  What would you possibly buy and why would you? No return on investment.

BLEAK!

When it all comes back to "normal", no JOBS, no income, no spending money.

This is not a good picture!

Signature_Line_V4

#8 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2984 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:25 AM

Yes the news will be bad for many small businesses, l'm afraid. And the economy in general.

Bill

DXFNFF-DX Forever Never Full Frame :) 

#9 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3663 posts
  • Interests:I have been doing this for over forty years. My wife approves and most times goes with me on assignments. I do photojournalism for a media group that has 11 newspapers around the Nashville, TN area. I am a NPS member.

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:00 PM

It's bad for MY business. lol

• Art likes this
Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#10 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8247 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 01:24 PM

It's bad for MY business. lol

I know what you mean, Phil. 

COVID-19 struck just as I was finalizing my portfolio; and preparing to call local businesses.  Not much point, just right now.  I'll see how things look in a couple of months.  <_<

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#11 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11092 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:45 AM

Better times will come but I think it will take a heck of a time longer than anyone could have imagined.

🙁

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22384 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:44 AM

I read another story that said they are $24 million in debt!!!

That is a huge hole to fill.

I wonder how much of that is Nikon’s?
Signature_Line_V4

#13 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8247 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:52 AM

I'm afraid that news like this is becoming a sign of the times.  Yesterday, Army & Navy Dept Stores announced that it was permanently closing.  The 101 year-old, family-owned chain had been a fixture in Western Canada.  I wonder how many other businesses will be forced to make the same difficult choice?  :(  

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#14 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22384 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:03 PM

I just visited our favorite restaurant last night for takeout.  Maggie and I try to do this once a week in our neighborhood.

The owner was there cooking, looking tired, haggard and miserable.  He had two locations.  One closed. His "home base" location near us ....

The dine-in side had no tables or chairs.  No idea what that is all about.  I am hoping he is not going to be cut down to just the kitchen and take out.  In his heyday, this guy was a renown chef.  This virus-thing is really starting to piss me off.  It has destroyed a number lives in many ways, and more to come.

Signature_Line_V4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users